Planning on making levels based on the Bracketed Saga

Started by Betaworld Team (Chara), July 25, 2020, 04:47:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Betaworld Team (Chara)

Back in 2014, a guy named Bruce Michez started a series of levels which came to be known as the "Bracketed Saga." It started with [\], and ended with [X] (I prefer to call the finale "Bracketed Cross"). But... just because a saga is over doesn't mean the story itself is over. The saga has ended on a cliffhanger. What happens after the Abyss collapses, and Viridian and Vincent become one again?

That is the question, which is why I am planning on making an unofficial continuation of Bruce's bracketed saga.

This is not permitted by the original level creator...yet, and there are no levels in this unofficial continuation as of yet. I do not have the level editor and maker, so you can not harass me for making bad levels. You can criticize the bad levels, just don't harass me for making them, alright? Harassment is generally illegal, and can easily lead to either a jail or prison sentence, depending on the severity of the offence. Also, not all of these ideas are gonna be original. Some of these ideas will take other level rooms and use them as either flashbacks or similar challenges faced in previous levels.

With that disclaimer out of the way, let's get started.

[V] (aka Bracketed Verve) - A recent experiment has been tested on the remains of Commander Indigo's body, causing her to be revived and remember everything... She wanted to change for the better, but will the crew believe her when she finally does...?

Ally 🌠

Quote from: Betaworld Team (Chara) on July 25, 2020, 04:47:42 PM
This is not permitted by the original level creator,
i hope you mean yet, meaning that you asked or are going to ask him if it's okay. if he said no, then you shouldn't.
I do not have the level editor and maker, so you can not harass me for making bad levels.
i honestly have no idea what this means.
You can criticize the bad levels, just don't harass me for making them, alright? Harassment is generally illegal, and can easily lead to either a jail or prison sentence, depending on the severity of the offence.
chill, nobodys going to harass you over making a level or something. this isnt 2018 or whatever
Also, not all of these ideas are gonna be original. Some of these ideas will take other level rooms and use them as either flashbacks or similar challenges faced in previous levels.
a level in a long series with no flashbacks or anything would be sorta weird. either way, i do hope youll only do this where they fit in

anyway good luck on this. dont forget to ask bruce for permission and stuff

Bruce Michez

I prefer to call the finale "Bracketed Cross"
Sincerely: Why the heck didn't I think of this?!

I wasn't too bothered when The Long Adventure 4 was a wholesale ripoff of [II], so I can't really complain too hard.

Bruce Michez

This does seem like a good time to share my own idea I had, a while back, for a continuation of the story.  Here we go:
QuoteDimension Fever (would be) a level taking place after the trilogy of [\]-[II]-[X] but thematically quite distinct.  At the beginning, Captain Viridian is showing signs of a strange, mystical illness that is affecting his concentration.  Vitellary has provided focus pills to relieve his symptoms.

On a solo mission, Viridian pilots a SoulEye Mini-Lander to the entrance of a cave.  At the end of the passage is an artefact called the Fever Prism, which Victoria and Vitellary have uncovered as a possible solution to Viridian's symptoms.  Before reaching the Prism, Viridian also finds the level's first trinket.  These are made of a similar substance to that used to make the focus pills, and Viridian immediately resolves to collect as many as possible.

To activate the Fever Prism, Viridian must first unlock three power sources, accessed via a set of levels that ultimately lead back to the Prism.  In these levels, he also finds cryptic clues to the nature of his condition, causing him great frustration as he is unable to piece them together on his own.

The Fever Prism thrusts Viridian into a bizarrely colourful parallel dimension.  There are no more trinkets to be found, so as Viridian navigates this area, his fortitude is tested to the limit.

He ultimately reaches a chamber containing no fewer than 20 copies of himself (i.e. 20 :viridian:-coloured rescuable crewmates).  If he has found all the trinkets, all is explained: his condition, known as Dimension Fever, is a rare illness and a risk of frequent interdimensional travel.  It is typically caused by accidental contact with alternate versions of oneself, whose memories may overlap and clash with one's own.  Hence the symptoms of confusion, nausea and, in severe cases, hallucinations.  After learning everything, Viridian "rescues" his clones to return to the real world with his mind whole.

If Viridian has not found all the trinkets, however, he simply breaks down on seeing his clones.

I should stress that the above scenario predates COVID-19!  I originally wanted to release the level on the 20th anniversary of my father's death (that would be January 2019) but... just sort of ran out of steam.

allison

Quote from: Bruce Michez on July 28, 2020, 04:42:03 PM
I should stress that the above scenario predates COVID-19!  I originally wanted to release the level on the 20th anniversary of my father's death (that would be January 2019) but... just sort of ran out of steam.
I feel your pain, the next big level im working on has stuff i wrote last year that ended up being accidental commentary on quarantine and blm protests