Moderate Difficulty

Started by xactxx, November 04, 2022, 06:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xactxx

A level I made in two months during very odd moments when I had a couple of free minutes. It's neither too easy nor too difficult. I'm not an expert in this, but I used a bit of basic scripting to make the level a little more interesting. Hope you enjoy. Don't be too harsh on a noob like me! :-[

Balneor

Cool level ! Pretty compact maze-like, not easy for my brain to learn, but that's just me. Some quirky physics bits here and there, and other nice rooms. Nothing over the top difficulty wise, it's generally consistent. Would definitely play again.

There is a slight entering problem with this token. It's easy to get off-bounds and die with it.

Now, I haven't actually finished it because there seems to be a backtrack problem. The following room seems to only be possible on the left side. I couldn't find any positions that allow it to be crossed from the right. Which is a problem, because it makes (2,3) and all of its branching paths suddenly become isolated from the rest of the level. Hugely inconvenient personally, and goes against the maze gimmick of the level.

Maybe I missed some big obvious escape path, and I'm fine with that, but if not, hopefully this can get addressed.

xactxx

Quote from: Balneor on November 05, 2022, 06:21:49 AMCool level ! Pretty compact maze-like, not easy for my brain to learn, but that's just me. Some quirky physics bits here and there, and other nice rooms. Nothing over the top difficulty wise, it's generally consistent. Would definitely play again.

Thanks for your encouraging words!

QuoteThere is a slight entering problem with this token. It's easy to get off-bounds and die with it.

I don't understand what you mean. Maybe you're not obtaining the token the way you're supposed to?

QuoteNow, I haven't actually finished it because there seems to be a backtrack problem. The following room seems to only be possible on the left side. I couldn't find any positions that allow it to be crossed from the right. Which is a problem, because it makes (2,3) and all of its branching paths suddenly become isolated from the rest of the level. Hugely inconvenient personally, and goes against the maze gimmick of the level.

Maybe I missed some big obvious escape path, and I'm fine with that, but if not, hopefully this can get addressed.
The level is a bit of a maze, although there are paths that are only possible to do in one direction, yes. Indeed, there is an optimal way to complete the level that does not even require you to visit all the screens.

However, the screen you show is quite possible to do from the right side as well, whether you actually emerge from right to left or whether you want to go from the middle to the right. At least for me, it's possible.

Balneor

QuoteI don't understand what you mean. Maybe you're not obtaining the token the way you're supposed to?

Just go to editor practice, and enter the token in various ways. Flip on it, enter with it with inertia, enter it with no inertia, enter it from behind. Surely, you will notice something wrong happening.

QuoteThe level is a bit of a maze, although there are paths that are only possible to do in one direction, yes. Indeed, there is an optimal way to complete the level that does not even require you to visit all the screens.

However, the screen you show is quite possible to do from the right side as well, whether you actually emerge from right to left or whether you want to go from the middle to the right. At least for me, it's possible.

I do not doubt that there is an optimal path.
However, about your second statement, I can only disagree further. I have given it a tried again, many different positions, gradually from left to right, and nothing changed. Either you bonk on the wall which kills your momentum, or you hit the spikes at the same time of touching the line. There is no in-between. And I'm not doing complicated movement, just flipping off the ground and holding left at the correct time.
I won't believe it until I see it personally. If you are able to record videos, maybe you can help with that. Or even just beat it again right now, to make sure that what you remember is actually true. I will send it for someone to TAS to verify if it's possible or not, because it's beyond me, even though I should be really good at positioning stuff.
Sometimes stuff might look to be possible, but the physics then tell a different story. You need to be much closer to gravity lines on their right side to be able to activate them, than on their left side. Which makes going left to right here possible and not too bad comparatively, whereas you can be super deep and still hit it too late to be good in the other direction.

Balneor

Elomavi on the discord server says :

"[...] Anyways, I've been TASing this for about 10 minutes and it seems impossible due to the gravity line's hitbox being offset by 2 pixels. It would theoretically be possible with a specific vertical align but none of the things I did could give you a good enough vertical align to be able to make it."

Unless there is a way to design this side of the room such that you can easily have this alignment (which would probably still be an obtuse solution, and still the less obvious thing in the entire level by a wide margin), I don't immediately see how to elegantly fix this without modifying the design of this part.

I know I'm a bit stubborn with this, and it's definitely not to be taken the wrong way. In the end I really want to play the level and complete it 100%, but it's simply just made very obnoxious by this faulty design. I'd rather just get lost in the maze and learn it thoroughly, than having to find the correct path. Both activities are fun, but the latter is evidently not the design of the level