Scripting Tutorial - A PJBottomz Level

Started by PJBottomz, August 03, 2011, 11:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheoX

I considered doing a serious review of this as a joke, then decided not to. :D

This is really helpful!  I mean, I already knew how to do all of it, but potentially helpful for new mappers (and it looks like it already has helped a few people).  I like how you saved a different command for each room, and had Viridian say the commands sometimes with script boxes.  My only complaint is that you didn't address the "happy()" and "sad()" commands, but those are pretty self explanatory anyway.

Nice work!

PJBottomz

Thank you! I am glad that people get use from this.

PJBottomz

BUMP!

I really thing this should be pinned so people can find it easily.

xTwoTails

That was very entertaining. It'll take me a while to get used to that. XD

Thanks!

PJBottomz

You're welcome.

Might I ask what you need to get used to? I do enjoy feedback.

xTwoTails

Quote from: PJBottomz on August 09, 2011, 04:23:50 AM
You're welcome.

Might I ask what you need to get used to? I do enjoy feedback.

Nothing in specific, I just need to practice and use them and eventually get good at it~
I'll replay this and see what I find so I can ask you questions about scripting~
* Furry thumbs up*

PJBottomz

PJBottomz

Bumpity Bump!

Wow. 111 downloads. It must be a damn good tutorial. I still think this should be pinned so new/inexperienced people can find it.

damatman

I found this very helpful and believe everyone should make the most of it if wanting to learn how to script.

Although I did come across a slight issue.  :victoria:
If in Musical Terms you use the terminal but then leave to the left, when you next use the terminal the gravitylines do not vanish.
The same problem in Pure Annihilation.
If in The True Test Of Scripting Abilities you have not got the first trinket and then hit the warp token you get trapped in that area forever as the gravityline reappears.

I hope that helps :)

PJBottomz

Like I said previously, enabling backtracking would require a complete script rewrite. And for the trinket issue, well, just make sure you have them both.

I think I might revise this and make it a bit better...

damatman

Well yeah, this is only requiring someone is silly enough to go backwards on an obviously linear map :P

Whirligig

Where do we learn "happy" and "sad"? It's not in the level anywhere.  :vitellary:

PJBottomz

I forgot to include it, but, as Theo said, it's pretty self explainatory...

PJBottomz

Bump it Up!

I still think this needs to be pinned. I bumped this so Denetsu can see it.

DensetsuNoKaboom

Thank you for bumping this, and I agree it should be pinned.