and it was actually pretty good and challenging. :viridian:
so, i go and finish some of the important scripts when all of a sudden
WHAM
VVVVVV's window suddenly closes  :victoria:
im all like what o.0?
then it dawns on me what just happened and im pretty close to raging by now,
so i think,
maybe it autosaved my map
but i was dissappointed to find that there is no autosave feature for level editor
so thats just an idea for a later pathc because i really dont want random shutdowns ruining my life
please  :victoria:

PJBottomz

Don't worry, you're not the only person who's lost data because of random closes. :-X

I recommend that you save after completing a room. You'll never guess how many times I had to redo Viridigis' room in "The Lab". (Hint: 12)

A reason why your window might close is due to something in the script. This is usually the cause. See, what some people don't know is that the "say" and "reply" commands are like poison to each other if you don't put a line in-between them. Example:

What to NOT do:

say
So, you must be the one...
What?

What SHOULD be done:

say

What?

Also, I've kinda found it helpful to put "end" at the end of every script. Although it seems to do nothing, it's actually reassuring and believe it or not, but I've seen a signifigant drop in game crashes following those two rules.

Hope I helped, and good luck on re-creating your game! :viridian:

Thatguy

Quote from: PJBottomz on August 04, 2011, 12:53:11 AM
Don't worry, you're not the only person who's lost data because of random closes. :-X

I recommend that you save after completing a room. You'll never guess how many times I had to redo Viridigis' room in "The Lab". (Hint: 12)

A reason why your window might close is due to something in the script. This is usually the cause. See, what some people don't know is that the "say" and "reply" commands are like poison to each other if you don't put a line in-between them. Example:

What to NOT do:

say
What?

What SHOULD be done:

say

What?

Also, I've kinda found it helpful to put "end" at the end of every script. Although it seems to do nothing, it's actually reassuring and believe it or not, but I've seen a signifigant drop in game crashes following those two rules.

What you mentioned occasionally happens, I don't put a space between lines, yet it somehow works. It occasionally crashes, though.

PJBottomz

Quote from: Thatguy on August 04, 2011, 01:41:26 AM
Quote from: PJBottomz on August 04, 2011, 12:53:11 AM

What to NOT do:

say
What?

What SHOULD be done:

say

What?

What you mentioned occasionally happens, I don't put a space between lines, yet it somehow works. It occasionally crashes, though.

That's why. The line in-between thing was directly from Terry. He said that it helps.

Evster_13

:vitellary:
wow
thank you
actually
when i look back on it
that is probably what happened that caused me to crash

oh! and on another note destroy(entity)
isnt really working for me
andthign special i need to do to use it?
ive tried on grav lines and spikes but they dont work

thank you for your awnser about the crash
:viridian:

PJBottomz

... Sorry, but destroy(entity) is not a command in the editor.

There are only three:
destroy(warptokens)
destroy(gravitylines)
destroy(platforms) - Terry says that this command doesn't work well, so it's best not to us it.

There is no destroy(spikes) either. Terry said it might be implimented in the next patch, though, so keep high hopes! :viridian:

Arkatox

I save frequently. Losing data is something that you should be paranoid about, and so for whether I'm making a custom level in VVVVVV, a custom level in Super Meat Boy, a custom level in Jumper 2, a custom level in... anything else, or even making my own game, I always save frequently. If you're making your own game, especially with a program such as Game Maker or something similar, I would recommend actually creating backup files frequently, too. But that's a little off topic. ;)

Evster_13

Um i have half made a new level and i saved it then i went to bed

how do i open it to continue editing it?
is there an open shortcut or something

and @Pjbottomz

when i said destroy(entity)
i was using entity as a general term for stuff like grav lines, spikes etc etc etc

PJBottomz

If you wanna open up your file, go into the editor, hit Ctrl+L and enter your file name and hit enter.

Oh. Well, yeah, you can't destroy spikes.

Evster_13

i wish you could though, spikes are like the onl objects beside walls that block gravlines
:victoria:

Evster_13

oh! and another thing, for the level editor could you add something like a warpline
but it would extend to another
screen, like the one in the infinity tunnel
cause im trying to make my own >:3
and warp tokens just wouldnt feel the same