"The Door" by cyber95

Started by cyber95, August 06, 2011, 08:21:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cyber95

I put together a level.  5x5 size, but I do use every space.  Technically.  One space is just all wall but I still used it so it counts.  I gave it a bit of a silly premise to season with flavor and here we are now.  Used PJBottomz's scripting guide level for a bit of help with some bits, and in the end, I think I like how it turned out.  Tell me what you think of my first foray into level design?

Also, if there are any glitches/exploits that I missed, tell me.

For some reason my filesize is too large for attachment?  Good thing I have a personal site.

Download The Door

SCREENSHOTS

aw yeah four screenshots of flavor and one of actual gameplay section

TheoX

Looks nice.  How do I download it?  The link just brings me to a page that appears to have part of a vvvvvv code, but I'm not familiar with how to load a level from that.

bigkahuna

Quote from: TheoX on August 06, 2011, 06:37:37 PM
Looks nice.  How do I download it?  The link just brings me to a page that appears to have part of a vvvvvv code, but I'm not familiar with how to load a level from that.

1. Right-click the link
2. Select "Save Target As"
3. Change "Save as Type" to "All Files"
4. Change the extension (.*) under "File Name" to ".vvvvvv"
5. Save the file in your "VVVVVV" folder that has all your downloaded custom maps and Saves (usually in my documents).

Pretty much standard procedure for all downloaded VVVVVV maps.

Trying your level now, cyber.

EDIT: It's pretty good! Shorter and easier than I liked, but still fun.

I liked the whole 'house' theme, mostly because of the clever room names and terminal chat resulting from it.

I like the first trinket puzzle (as well as the name of the room with the 'rats' ;) ).

The second one was much too easy compared to the rest of the map.

The third one was nicely difficult, though the spike jump had to be angled just right, which was kind of annoying.

The fourth one... I don't think you should force the player to collect all the other trinkets to get a freebie.

I only found one outstanding bug. On a quick replay of the map, I was in the room "So Close". I finished the level the easy way :)

PJBottomz

I'm glad you found my scripting guide to be of use, and that it helped contribute to this level! Because of that, I will personally playtest it for you.

PJBottomz

Bug Free?: CHECK
Moderate Difficulty?: CHECK
Creative Idea?: CHECK
Non-Glitchy Scripting?: CHECK
Creative Use of Average Tools?: CHECK

A pretty kick-butt game. I liked how you used roomtext as how Verdigris talked. That was creative. Overall, a nice game.

TheoX

Rating #023
Enjoyment: 7/10
Aesthetics: 5/10
Novelty: 6/10
Difficulty: 4/10
Room Names: 7/10

This level felt very simple!  I liked the small bits of humor, and the roof sections being very open reminded me a bit of Jet Set Willy.  The house setting was a nice touch.  Room names were pretty fitting, nothing too special, though I liked the rats one a lot.

Overall I didn't have too much trouble with this level, and enjoyed it.  Nice short one!

Shuhasu

The Door is everything! All that once was and all that will be!
The Door controls time and space, love and death!
The door can see inside your mind!
The door can see inside your SOUL!!!!

Really? The door can do all that?

No not really.

TheoX

Quote from: Kurosen on August 07, 2011, 12:31:23 AM
The Door is everything! All that once was and all that will be!
The Door controls time and space, love and death!
The door can see inside your mind!
The door can see inside your SOUL!!!!

Really? The door can do all that?

No not really.

Heheh, I love Charlie the Unicorn.

Damn It AL to Hell

Pretty nice level, okay story, I liked this one, only complaint: Single tiles :victoria: but you get 9.4/10 :viridian: