Inversion Plane - A PJBottomz Level

Started by PJBottomz, August 07, 2011, 01:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PJBottomz

(This level is not recommended for people with short-tempers...)

A small 5x5 level I threw together, just cause I had to make something. This is a little difficult. It takes the idea of using a vertical warp, and amplifies it. This takes a little bit of memory and concetration, and lots of patience.

EDIT: No longer can you win by simply holding right. I've tested this, and while you can skip some, there's no easy way.

Officer Captain

Most of the level can be bypassed by holding right...
From the screen with all of the trinkets (Way too red), you can land safely on one of the checkpoints on the final screen by holding from the first checkpoint.
Although this can be fixed by adding vertical warps, it would just become a tedious chore; due to its single task.
All in all, not too enjoyable. Needs a bit more variation.

Concerning the puzzle, I don't think there's any way to make it work, honestly.  It'd be too easy by adding retaining walls, etc.

EDIT: After testing it a couple of times, you're pretty much guaranteed to land on another checkpoint by holding down right from any checkpoint. I completed the level in three flips, from the beginning to middle, middle to end, and once more as I was on the wrong side of the platform.

cyber95

This is kinda boring.  It's difficult, but not in the fun "I can do this!" way, but in the "dammit I hope I moved the right number of pixels" way.  Especially bad is the fact that you've got to traverse four screens to do anything, which just makes it mind-numbingly tedious.

PJBottomz

Well, you don't have to play it. I just made it because for some reason I really wanted to make something.

TheoX

Rating #024
Enjoyment: 7/10
Aesthetics: 3/10
Novelty: 6/10
Difficulty: 6/10
Room Names: 7/10

Interesting level, to say the least.  My biggest gripe with it is that it's REALLY repetitive.  I did like the concept of having to remember and picture in your mind where the checkpoints/trinkets were on the screen, but that might just be because I'm good at it.  In fact, I didn't find it very hard at all; I completed it with only 20 deaths. 

The room names didn't leave much of an impression on me, probably because I was too busy concentrating on the level layout when playing.  Just gave that an average score.

An interesting experiment in level design, to be sure.

Arkatox

Quote from: PJBottomz on August 07, 2011, 03:37:47 PM
Well, you don't have to play it. I just made it because for some reason I really wanted to make something.

Well that's why I made Spike Hell, lol. (Check my sig.)

PJBottomz