Author Topic: My Flash/Android/iOS port of VVVVVV  (Read 9901 times)

IndieST

• Crewmate
    • View Profile
My Flash/Android/iOS port of VVVVVV
« on: November 27, 2011, 04:45:17 am »

I made a flash port of VVVVVV (no official level, can only play player levels), and exported to android using the Adobe AIR adt tool.

The online version can be played at http://sangtian.me/vvvv.

I also wrote a blog about how to remake it.
http://sangtian.me/blog/?p=7

If your want to test the android version, try to download the apk from:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28239335/VVVVVV-Levels.apk

An iOS version is also packed, but I think a jailbreaked device is need to play,
since I don't have the Apple's $99/yr developer's certificate :victoria:

Hope you like it!

ThePaSch

• Doctor
  • I do programming, video compositing and music.
    • View Profile
Re: My Flash/Android/iOS port of VVVVVV
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 01:14:13 pm »
Heh, nice work!

But I just realized; VVVVVV now got ported from Flash to C++ and then back to Flash.  :D

BubblegumBalloon

• Crewmate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 08:18:26 pm »
Great work!

Could you possibly make a build with this button layout? I think it would be easier with the limited screen space. :)

Also I havent ported anything (Im not that smart haha) but I did find a way for the original game to run on my phone using a flash player and I could map physical keys. :)
heres a vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0PDopPxoUI
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 08:23:02 pm by BubblegumBalloon »

IndieST

• Crewmate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 04:09:31 am »
Thank you for the advice!

I'm planning to make the virtual keys configurable, you can add/remove/adjust buttons in game as you like!

Actually, I tried to place the right button to right side of screen, and added two flip buttons for both side. But it was really confused when I was about to flip hastily. Which thumb should I move? :victoria:

PJBottomz

• Captain
  • Chibi Toast. It kicks your ass for miles.
    • View Profile
    • PJBottomz First Homepage
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 12:33:50 am »
Actually, I tried to place the right button to right side of screen, and added two flip buttons for both side. But it was really confused when I was about to flip hastily. Which thumb should I move? :victoria:

Well, if you're holding down one movement key, you would use the free thumb to press the according jump button.

Example 1: If you're going to flip while moving right, your right thumb holds "Move Right", and the left thumb presses, "Jump" on the left side.
Example 2: If you're going to flip while moving left, your left thumb holds "Move Left", and the right thumb presses, "Jump" on the right side.

That is a bit confusing. ???

dinx2582

• Doctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 08:24:11 pm »
Just for information's sake, and in case anyone was curious, the full/unlocked Kongregate version of VVVVVV runs out of the box on just about every swf player I've tried.  No other versions will even attempt to load past 0%.  Hopefully this is of some use to someone!

Oh, the swf is URL locked, though you can easily get around that simply by having the relevant URL somewhere in the .swf filename.  YMMV, or it may not.

PJBottomz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 08:51:31 pm »
How exactly do I get this on my phone? Do I hook it up to the computer and drag-and-drop?

dinx2582

• Doctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 06:55:12 pm »
How exactly do I get this on my phone? Do I hook it up to the computer and drag-and-drop?

Either use the adb commandline program (adb install <apkname>.apk), which you can get by downloading the Android SDK.

Alternatively you can get this onto your SD card and then install it with a native package manager. IIRC most file managers have one implemented.

dinx2582

• Doctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 06:56:57 pm »
Oh, is there any way you could implement keyboard support?  I don't know if it's difficult, or requires device-specific code, etc, but if it's plausible that would be great.  The full version of the game works well for me using the keyboard, and the option would be nice.  Thanks either way.

edit:  Nevermind, in-game keyboard support is there.  Hadn't gotten past the menu when I asked :)  Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 07:01:20 pm by dinx2582 »

PJBottomz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 02:04:06 am »

Either use the adb commandline program (adb install <apkname>.apk), which you can get by downloading the Android SDK.

Alternatively you can get this onto your SD card and then install it with a native package manager. IIRC most file managers have one implemented.

... Isn't there a way that doesn't involve downloading stuff?

IndieST

• Crewmate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 03:55:04 am »
Oh, is there any way you could implement keyboard support?  I don't know if it's difficult, or requires device-specific code, etc, but if it's plausible that would be great.  The full version of the game works well for me using the keyboard, and the option would be nice.  Thanks either way.

edit:  Nevermind, in-game keyboard support is there.  Hadn't gotten past the menu when I asked :)  Thanks.

You mean physical keyboard? It's supported already! Without it I could not even pass the vvvv4k level!
...However, I should do more things on in-game keyboard to make it feel comfortable. Any other suggestion?

IndieST

• Crewmate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 04:04:53 am »

... Isn't there a way that doesn't involve downloading stuff?

The second way is currently the simplest one, as the Android Market version is not available yet.

kylemsguy

• Crewmate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2011, 09:09:50 am »

I made a flash port of VVVVVV (no official level, can only play player levels), and exported to android using the Adobe AIR adt tool.

The online version can be played at http://sangtian.me/vvvv.

I also wrote a blog about how to remake it.
http://sangtian.me/blog/?p=7

If your want to test the android version, try to download the apk from:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28239335/VVVVVV-Levels.apk

An iOS version is also packed, but I think a jailbreaked device is need to play,
since I don't have the Apple's $99/yr developer's certificate :victoria:

Hope you like it!

Where is the iOS version? I have some experience with making .deb packages and signing the executables so that they'll run on iOS. If you were to post the packaged version for iOS i could try to make it work (and perhaps make a repo for it if you wish).

Also, I have a few complaints with the PC version of your port: spikes go through platforms, as well as you can't run across a row of platforms with gaps between them, making a section of the Pyramid of Doom impossible to complete (to be specific, the part where there are floating spikes and you have to run across to the other side and back on the bottom of the platforms). Otherwise, great work :D

sng7

• Crewmate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 05:03:40 pm »
Has anyone else had a problem with this?
i downloaded it  and installed it but when I run it an error comes up saying "The application VVVVVV levels 9process air.me.sangtian.vvvvgame) has stopped unexpectedly please try again" so i restart and the same message comes up.