new level in development

Started by GLaDOS V.3, August 13, 2011, 06:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GLaDOS V.3

so i'm new here and i'm posting about my level (my first level that doen't have a name) i started yesterday so i'm still working on it. feel free to give suggestions. heres what i have so far:

GLaDOS V.3

GLaDOS V.3

heres second version. http://distractionware.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=511.0;attach=693 i've only seen two glitches.
not the final version.

GLaDOS V.3

some screenshots of version 3
version 3.1 (in the v.3 download) has some problems fixed.

Sendy

It didn't come up in the level list, so I had to play from the editor... I thought it was OK for a first attempt, but it felt a bit unfocussed and testy, and messy. Some levels like Souleye's ones pull off the messy/busy thing and it works, but here it just felt like the design didn't know where it wanted to go.

Keep areas near screen boundaries simple for the most part - especially the bottom of the screen if you're using a level name. Try and give the rooms a more cohesive theme. For example: A perfect line of spikes looks good. A jagged cave type of floor with spikes on looks good. A row of spikes that's almost straight but not quite can look rushed or undecided. When you're starting out, it's a good idea to keep it simple, i.e. start by carving out square or square-ish rooms, and make a few modifications, adding and subtracting elements until it feels fun to play.

Teleports that send you back to the beginning of the level - generally a bad idea, unless there's a warning.

Presentation is important, it's sort of like food - if it looks good and like care has gone into it, you'll probably stand more chance of wanting to eat it. As for the gameplay, it wasn't bad, but it didn't flow much or have any standout moments, either.

YMMV, I know tastes differ, but that's my feedback.