A minor graphical niggle that's driving me insane

Started by Sendy, August 14, 2011, 03:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sendy

I can't help but notice that vertical inversion planes don't quite line up properly with spikes in user levels, but do in the main game.  :o

Please fix this in the upcoming patch, Terry! It's triggering OCD attacks daily here  :D :victoria: :vermillion: :victoria: :violet: :D

PJBottomz

I KNOW! It drives me nuts too! :( Having OCD sucks...

Terry

Haha, shit - sorry, but I can't change it now because it might break some people's levels! You'll just have to get used to it... :D

Sendy

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!  :victoria:

Believe it or not now I'm looking through the graphics file with a view to nudging the vertical spikes one pixel to the right...  :viridian:

PJBottomz

XD I would have asked why you don't move the gravity lines over one pixel, but I can't find the lines. :verdigris:

Sendy

Exactly  8)

I'm just going to try and ignore it, but I have been playing v6 a HECK of a lot more since the level editor came out. It was pretty much 'done and dusted' before that, it just goes to show how much life a level editor can bring to a game  :viridian:

PJBottomz

Whirligig

bdr9

I'm having trouble telling what the problem is, can somebody post a screenshot?

Martze

Quote from: Terry on August 14, 2011, 06:04:47 PM
Haha, shit - sorry, but I can't change it now because it might break some people's levels! You'll just have to get used to it... :D

I'd say this falls under the "Don't make your levels rely on bugs" caveat. This is a bug, and if anybody's level would be broken by fixing it, that is their problem. Yes, even if they did not know about the bug or that they were relying on it. If I had a level that would be broken by fixing this, I would be totally happy to update it. Please, please, please fix this!  :victoria:

If you're really concerned about breaking old levels, then the proper solution would be to have the 2.1 level editor add a special flag to any level file it writes. If the flag is present, then have VVVVVV use the fixed gravity lines, and if it is missing, have it use the bugged gravity lines. I'll admit this is kind of messy, but welcome to the world of software.

The least I can ask is for you to graphically center the line without moving the hitbox. This would still suck, but it would at least fix the aesthetics.

PJBottomz

It can be easily solved by moving the vertical spikes over at least one pixel. It completely fixed the problem for me! :)

Terry

Quote from: Martze on September 07, 2011, 12:17:23 AM
The least I can ask is for you to graphically center the line without moving the hitbox. This would still suck, but it would at least fix the aesthetics.

Hmm, I dunno. A potential pixel collision discrepancy sounds like a bigger problem to me that a barely noticable one pixel offset...

The SECOND patch is gonna introduce a new format to deal with the new stuff, so I'll probably just make it so that old levels use the old style of vertical lines, and new ones position them correctly. If anyone really cares they can "update" their level to the new version when it's out :)

xTwoTails

I do wanna try the new version!  :viridian:
Foxie is very excited when the new Patch comes out!
*excited foxboy*

Martze

Quote from: Terry on September 07, 2011, 01:21:35 AM
The SECOND patch is gonna introduce a new format to deal with the new stuff, so I'll probably just make it so that old levels use the old style of vertical lines, and new ones position them correctly. If anyone really cares they can "update" their level to the new version when it's out :)

All right, that works  :viridian:

PJBottomz

Speaking of that, do you think you can place when it'll be released?