"Help" by DensetsuNoKaboom

Started by DensetsuNoKaboom, August 19, 2011, 12:01:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PJBottomz

You did do a few things, but I am still not cool with the "walk-right-into-death" in the 3rd room.

The Brass

For the spike-elevator in Whee, use an enemy.

Treadmill was a neat room. Besides the jump into Whee, of course.

Stampy

That played pretty well. There was a point near the start.. second or third room where heading left got you stuck in the ground. Other than that, played pretty well!

DensetsuNoKaboom

I updated with a few small changes; you shouldn't die when entering most rooms any more, and I added walls so you can't get stuck in them.

I'm not gonna change the jump from Treadmill to Whee! (not much anyway) because 1) you get to see Whee! earlier in the level and 2) there's a large hint in Treadmill as to where you're supposed to go.

PJBottomz

Don't worry Denetsu, you're on-spot with the jump from Treadmill to Whee!

Anyway, this is much better. Far from perfect, but better. :viridian: Much more enjoyable. I think that "Carefully..." or "Treadmill" should be another color.

TheoX

Rating #040
Enjoyment: 7/10
Aesthetics: 7/10
Novelty: 4/10
Difficulty: 7/10
Room Names: 8/10

This is a nice short, challenging level.  The problems I found with it were already addressed:

Quote from: PJBottomz on August 19, 2011, 02:37:27 PM3. The trinket in "Harp Strings" is a suicide trinket AND an unexpected death! Those are two big NO-NOs in VVVVVV levels. I recommend putting a dissapearing platform over the spikes.
4. "The Treadmill" was quite entertaining, but dying in the room below it, that pissed me off. Mostly because I got through it on my first try and then died and had to do it again and messed up a lot. >:(

In general you should put checkpoints at the beginning and end of every room (and in the middle if necessary), and not have deaths which are totally unpredictable.  I liked the design of some of the rooms, especially treadmill (except for the bottom which was just mean).  The first trinket was well-placed too.  This level, all-in-all, was not too bad. :)

DensetsuNoKaboom

I'm pretty sure I put a breakable platform under (over?) the suicide trinket, so...yeah. Also if you know what to look for you'll have no problems with the jump from Treadmill to Whee!

I do wonder though why you gave it a 4/10 for novelty. Was anything in it novel enough to merit any novelty score at all?

In other news, I had a cool idea as to what I'm going to do with this level later... :viridian: