Dizziness by The Shinobi

Started by The Shinobi, August 22, 2011, 08:09:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Shinobi

This is my first complete level. It is short and easy, but it took a while to get everything perfected and looking a little nice.

Edit: Updated to V1.1 : Added room names and added very minor things in the third and fourth room.

PJBottomz

Just by looking at the screenshot, I can EASILY tell it's not perfect.

Crossing vertical and horizontal gravity lines = OH HELL NO!

Proper criticism after I play.

The Shinobi

The gravity lines are never used. They're just for decoration.

Sendy

Well, the crossing lines are OK if they're outside of the accessible play area... If you're going for full polish, though, you have a 1 tile thick wall next to the topmost warp token. Other than that, the screenshot looks well presented.

Now, onto the level, or rather, lack of it.. Your link either gives me a hanging page or a 404... PLEASE attatch it as a zip file onto the forum. Not having to leave the forum = much much better ;)

PJBottomz

Sendy is right. Polish is important.

EDIT: Alright, enjoy my bitterness. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPgUvhVf4N0 Hang on, video issues. :'(

The Shinobi

Quote from: Sendy on August 22, 2011, 09:49:13 PM
Well, the crossing lines are OK if they're outside of the accessible play area... If you're going for full polish, though, you have a 1 tile thick wall next to the topmost warp token. Other than that, the screenshot looks well presented.

Now, onto the level, or rather, lack of it.. Your link either gives me a hanging page or a 404... PLEASE attatch it as a zip file onto the forum. Not having to leave the forum = much much better ;)

I got rid of the mediafire link and replaced it with an attachment.  :viridian:

TheoX

Rating #041
Enjoyment: 9/10
Aesthetics: 8/10
Novelty: 7/10
Difficulty: 2.5/10
Room Names: N/A

Hah, I really liked this one!  Really the definition of "short and sweet".  The rooms looked pretty nice and I thought you took the concept of "looping rooms" one step further to make a neat concept.  Not very hard at all, but that was fine.  I have nothing to complain about except that there were no room names!  But I guess they're technically not necessary.  Actually, there was one point, I think in the 4th room, where you can enter and die immediately.  That entrance should probably be re-sculpted.

PJBottomz

Okay, since Youtube is being pissy, no video. :-X

All right, so, despite my agitation at the gravity lines, they weren't accessible, so I guess you get a freebie. :vermillion:

Overall, there wasn't too much wrong with this level. I think there were some polish things to be worked out, but it was pretty decent.

The Shinobi

Updated to V1.1 : Added room names and added very minor things in the third and fourth room.

Sendy

I thought it wasn't bad. It seemed to be lacking content somewhat. These screens where you're wandering around, trying to solve exit wrapping puzzles and mini mazes work as great filler material for larger levels, because they're entertaining without taxing the player, and they look good and are well presented. But on their own they seem a little bit redundant, because they're like a frame with no pitcure inside it.

That said, it was only a minilevel, and a first attempt at that, so maybe I'm overanalyzing? I hope you go on to do bigger, more varied levels, because I think you've got potential!