V6C, a fan-game.

Started by Isoraķatheð, August 25, 2011, 03:45:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PJBottomz

What's with the six knights on each side? :o

The Brass

They're knightrooks and knightbishops, fusions of two classic units, like the Queen is a fusion of rook and bishop.

PJBottomz

What happened to the whole "no new pieces" thing?

Isoraķatheð

I don't usually count the missing compounds (RN, BN, QN) as new, as they are used over and over in fairy chesses anyway. They are also relatively easy to pick up to one who is used to FIDE Chess (if I remember correctly, if you replace White's Queen with a RN then it is the "Introduction to Fairy Chess" Chess).

I admit that it does sound a bit cheaty and such.

More pressing are the Pawns, which are replaced with Spearmen (the shield and spear graphic). Because of the nature of the boards, FIDE Pawns get a very short stick: their momentum can very easily carry them to the edge of the board or into spikes. Thus this piece has to be introduced. I presume it's still difficult to rescue spearmen from their inevitable death at spikes, but I'll test them out later on.

Spearmen move one square in the direction they point in. They can either point straight ahead, or they can point to either side of that square:

\----a--------b--------c----
·
°
·
Sf

°
·
·
Sl

·
·
°
Sr

They both move and capture in that direction. At the beginning, they all point straight ahead.

Spearmen can change their direction any time they like, without costing a move. They can do it before or after they move.

They promote on entering the last rank.

Isoraķatheð

Okay, so I'm about to begin a sample game for you to see what's going on. I'm making the board (just the spikes and holes; I have got a general-purpose board) and the pieces (just the Spearmen, because I already had the Chancellor, Archbishop and the FIDE pieces.)

I'm going to use the beginning board.

I will notate the game in Algerbraic notation (Ce6, Rxb6, you know those things) and they will be in list format.