Zany Protocol TWO: BETA GOES PUBLIC

Started by FlamingBanana, August 28, 2011, 10:54:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlamingBanana

To break todays LONG silence, I thought I'd put some screen shots of my WIP level.
*It is 20x20
*I intend to use all 400 rooms
*I intend to attempt to name every room
*I am going to try to make 15 zones (Already completed 2 working on the 3rd)
*This is gonna be a helluva lot bigger than z1p
Here are some screen shots:

OPEN BETA IS HERE! v0.2 of z2p... http://dl.dropbox.com/u/36647697/z2p.vvvvvv Remember, its still in beta!

Franz24

PJBottomz

Screenshots 2 and 4 are driving my OCD crazy! You know that if I test this, I'm going to edit it...  :-X Anyway, I will be happy to test it.

Franz24

Don't worry, I tested it and those screenshot are actually fine. He has used warp lines in very smart ways ^^

Edit: I looked at the wrong screenshot, you are right. XD

PJBottomz

I meant that it uses single tiles. It drives me mad. My OCD demands that it must be at least 2-tile wide blocks. :'( IT'S MENTAL TORTURE!

Sendy

PJ, you and I should get together and start a campaign to rid the VVVVVV editing scene of tiling errors, lol

I thought I was the only one who was driven mad by it until I came to this forum.

Anyway, the level sounds really promising, cutoff tiles or no...

Franz24

I think EXACTLY the same thing. You won't find any single tiles in my levels, and if you find one you'll get a free trinket from me. :shiny:

Sendy

Quote from: PJBottomz on August 29, 2011, 01:06:17 AM
Screenshots 2 and 4 are driving my OCD crazy! You know that if I test this, I'm going to edit it...  :-X Anyway, I will be happy to test it.

You mean you missed the one on screenshot 3?  :P

Actually, in screens like 2, I don't mind it so much, since it looks like it's supposed to be a run down, ramshackle piece of scenery.

PJBottomz

AAAAGH! Why did you tell me that?!  :'(

We should probably figure out how to edit the sprites to fix this... I wonder if VVVVVV uses a seperate tileset for the editor...

Franz24

Here I also noticed the one in the third screenshot but I kept silent about it. Two screenshot with tiling errors is enough, we don't want people to get depressed in here D:
(don't forget by the way that the level is actually fun to play if you ignore the tiling errors.) ^^

Sendy

I'm pretty sure the VVVVVV editor just has a logic routine that alters each tile so that on average the edge tiles get the edge graphics. Ideally we'd be able to insert any tile from any tileset, as the main game levels can. That would mean we could make arbitrary 'tesselating' shapes and generally be more creative graphically.

PJBottomz

Quote from: Sendy on August 29, 2011, 01:36:39 AM
I'm pretty sure the VVVVVV editor just has a logic routine that alters each tile so that on average the edge tiles get the edge graphics. Ideally we'd be able to insert any tile from any tileset, as the main game levels can. That would mean we could make arbitrary 'tesselating' shapes and generally be more creative graphically.

Wat? :o

Quote from: Franz24 on August 29, 2011, 01:34:52 AM
Here I also noticed the one in the third screenshot but I kept silent about it. Two screenshot with tiling errors is enough, we don't want people to get depressed in here D:
(don't forget by the way that the level is actually fun to play if you ignore the tiling errors.) ^^

I'm sure it is. I just need to find time to test it...

Franz24

I completely agree, maybe something for a new update?

Sendy

Quote from: PJBottomz on August 29, 2011, 01:37:49 AM

Wat? :o

You know like the scenery in the polar dimension? It's made up of big rectangular blocks that are touching each other? If you tried to make that in the editor, the large rectangles would fuse together, and you can't stop that... Whereas in the main game, clearly such a tiling can happen, which leads me to believe this is a property of the level editor wall-adding code, rather than a limitation in the level format.

EDIT: Sorry to the OP for kinda hijacking the thread a bit... >_>

PJBottomz

So... we just have to figure out how to code and try to give the editor properties the same as the main games?

Of course, Terry's already working on this, so there's no need...