First level: 4 People, 4 Paths

Started by Pinkamena Diane Pie, September 02, 2011, 09:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinkamena Diane Pie

So, thought I'd try my hand at the level editor to see what it was capable of. After playing through each of the rooms and fiddling about with a few things I decided to have a friend playtest it as well to make sure nothing went wrong. After a couple more tweaks I believe it's ready for an actual release  :).

Decided to go with a pretty basic level design with a central hub and 4 different branches. Hope you enjoy it!

Any criticisms/comments will be taken into account for my next level  ;D.

4 People, 4 Paths

Few screenies:

If anyone finds any bugs, feel free to point them out. Hopefully I've sorted out any warp glitches and screen transition problems but there's probably a few lurking around still.

PJBottomz

This is a good level! I don't know if it's your first, or if you've secretly made more, but this is really good. Just a few things:

Intersecting Gravity Lines in "Usually comes Before Complexity" is a glitch and shouldn't be used
I know you probably don't want this to be featured, but if you do, exploitation of glitches does not help! Besides, if Terry ever fixes it, your level will not be playable.

Checkpoint needed in "Usually Comes Before Complexity"
It sucked having to restart in "Simplicity."

Floating spikes in "The Bog" need removal
Yeah, floating spikes are bad level design.

Reflectervator is a glitch room and should not be used
This is a new glitch. :o Kudos for discovering it, but like I said, exploiting glitches is bad for featuring, and it might break your level if it gets fixed.

Now, just some general thoughts:

Wave Motion Collider was very interesting
The usage of enemies to create an interesting moving shape was very cool!

Pumping Station was creative
I felt that circles or coins would have fit better. But, it's still quite neat!

Rainbow Smash is... uh, challenging...
Not only are there a million enemies, there is a conveyor. That looks difficult!

Missingno.'s Cage was awesome.
Love the reference! Great idea!

Now, my overall thought:

DANG! That was difficult! I had to use invincibility to finish it. That being said, it requires the player to think and time, and that's pretty cool. I think this is a good level.

Sendy

Linky no worky for me (404 for error each time)... Please attatch the level zipped to your forum post.

Screenshots look nice though!  :viridian:

Terry

Quote from: PJBottomz on September 02, 2011, 09:49:09 PM
Intersecting Gravity Lines in "Usually comes Before Complexity" is a glitch and shouldn't be used
I know you probably don't want this to be featured, but if you do, exploitation of glitches does not help! Besides, if Terry ever fixes it, your level will not be playable.

*Technically* I'm not likely to actually change this behaviour, but yeah I'm not really a fan of intersecting gravity lines in general - they're unpredictable, they work differently depending on whether you approach them from the top or bottom, they're way too sensitive to tiny pixel variations in placement. (Also, they usually look kinda ugly)

(Haven't checked out the level yet, will do soon)

The Brass

Quote from: PJBottomz on September 02, 2011, 09:49:09 PM
While there are intersections, they are in no way required to get the trinket. The non-glitchy way is to come from the bog to the lower half of the room.

QuoteFloating spikes in "The Bog" need removal
Yeah, floating spikes are bad level design.
In this case, they're perfect for the reference the room is making. It's supposed to be a forest of nails.

Good level. Many challenging rooms, but everything was reasonably beatable. The only bad ones were the Reflectervator trinket and the second of the double trinkets. Those were just cheap.

Sendy

Pinkamena Diane Pie

Thanks for the responses guys  :). This is indeed my first level, no secrets here! Just played through the main game and a few of the levels from the archive pack up here on the forums. Interesting to see that the Reflectervator glitch is somewhat new, I was just playing around with things, ended up with that result and decided to leave it in there.

Shall take into account not to use intersecting grav lines in future levels. Must admit they do look a bit ugly.

Good to see people enjoyed my level though  :viridian:. I probably won't do much more with this but take forward this information and suggestions on to a new level. Not quite sure what I'll be doing next, but you'll just have to wait and see  ;).

Not sure what's going on with the 404's Sendy, I just loaded it up fine. I'll upload a zipped version as well for you and anyone else who has similar issues.

EDIT: File attached to the first post now, hopefully it'll work for you :).

BillyTheBanana

I enjoyed this level. The difficulty was consistent and just about where I like it. In Wave Motion Collider, I felt smart deciphering the pattern of an impossible-looking room. The Harp, They Mostly Come Out at Night, and Rainbow Smash were fun little novelties. I don't know if this was intentional design, but in Simplicity I enjoyed being repeatedly tricked into walking right off the disappearing platforms into the spikes since you bounce onto them from a gravity line, so my brain wasn't ready to use the flip button.

I didn't like playing so many rooms where I had to have pixel-perfect positioning in small areas like in Arghageddon, Caged Elephant, Grinning Mouths (getting past the first disappearing platform), and pretty much every trinket. A little of that is good for variety, but there was way too much for me.

Does Stringy Cheese use a glitch? I tried to get down that little chute by slowly edging toward it, and it didn't work, so I assumed there was no other way. After I finished the game (with all the other trinkets), I went back there in the editor and figured out how to do it. I would recommend giving the player some sort of clue that it's possible and not just a trick.

Sendy

Fun level, though the conveyor floor of Arghageddon was a bit too twitchfiddletastic to really feel I was in control, but I managed to beat it by spamming attempts at it  ;)

I liked the difficulty, but the complex room with crossing beams seemed a bit weak. I didn't even need to enter from the left to get the trinket, which I'm assuming was the desired solution. I'd consider redesigning this room if you make another version.

There were also a couple of tiling errors which could have fairly easily been avoided, and you didn't utilize backing at all, which is a shame. Other than that and some things being obscured by the room names, the presentation was good, and good presentation is always appreciated!

I also missed the Stringy Cheese trinket because it literally looks impossible, but I guess it uses some kind of glitch or peculiarity of the movement engine of VVVVVV to brush past the spike?

Pinkamena Diane Pie

The central checkpoint during the conveyor section in Arghageddon wasn't even there originally, but I added it later on due to my friend's playtesting and complanining about it. I can do it pretty easily now but that's probably due to trying it over and over again whilst making sure nothing was broken.

The Stringy Cheese trinket... I don't even know how that works. I know you can get to it via flipping off the screen above but I'm not exactly sure what causes it to let you through. Probably shouldn't have left that in there as it's a bit of a cheap move.

There's a couple of tiling errors? I didn't notice anything last time I scanned it so I'd be interested in seeing where they are. I'll look into adding some extra backing next time around.

I'll probably change a few little things here and there and release an updated version but after that, I'll likely class the level as complete.

EDIT: Made the following changes:

Added a checkpoint at the start of ...Complexity as requested.

Changed ...Complexity to be a little harder but more predictable - No more intersecting grav lines, intersections have been replaced by blocks of land with spikes. Quick playtest proved it doable within 5 tries. Similar results with trinket path, which now requires going through The Bog.

Stringy Cheese trinket now possible via normal means rather than what I can only assume was a collision glitch. Still requires the flip off screen though.

Changed Pumping Station's enemies to circles.

Shall await any response by Sendy regarding tiling errors before releasing an updated version.

PJBottomz

xTwoTails

So far 200 Deaths and I'm about to rescue the last guy. Tell ya the truth, it was a clever design with the spikes and enemy placement.
It was enjoyable and stressfully-fun. Didn't had to take out MSPaint to make it easier, but man the Left Path was very mean. Didn't got all the trinkets tho.
Does something happen if you get all the trinkets?

Anyway. I'll give you a 8.0 for your effort!