Custom sprites for VVVVVV

Started by FlamingBanana, September 03, 2011, 11:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlamingBanana

Hi, I wasn't quite sure to post this, but its me editing VVVVVV so i thought it would go in the levels section.

ANYHOW, THIS ISN'T A VVVVVV LEVEL. BUT, IT IS AMAZINGLY AWESOME. AND IT INVOLVES CUSTOMIZING VVVVVV. SO...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

No, I have NOT screwed up VVVVVV. I have driven all of the crew members mad.
Actually, I have edited a certain file. A little work goes a long way.

WHY AM I PRATTLING ON? WELL, HERE ARE THE VARIOUS SPRITE PACKS:
CRAZY CREW: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/36647697/sprites.png

To install this:
1. Go to where ever you installed VVVVVV. Default is C:\Program Files\VVVVVV.
2. Go to \data\graphics
3. Take the picture at the link above. RENAME, NOT REPLACE the original sprites.png to something linke normalsprites.png and THEN move the picture over to this directory.
4. Thats it. Boot the game! The crew has gone mad.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Interested in making your own? Here are some instructions.
1. Ok, first of all, make sure you have something like paint.net or Corel Paint shop Pro. I used paint.net, which is free, but everyone has their preferences.
2. Open up sprites.png Which is in the VVVVVV directory at /data/graphics.
3. ZOOM IN ALL THE WAY.
4. Edit at will!

Note: Don't just use windows paint. It doesn't work with the transparency of VVVVVV and will totally screw up the game.

5. When you're done, save AS somethingsprites.png
6. Rename the original to normalsprites.png and the new one to sprites.png
7. LOAD THE GAVVVVVVE!!!!!!

I want this post to be a hub for all the various sprites the community creates, so if you make your own post to this thread and i will update this post.

Signing off,

--FlamingBanana--

Post Script: Yes, I did this myself.

Whirligig

Flipping sprites.png horizontally makes the Edge Games pacman dudes show up in custom levels.

Sendy

CUAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I'm finding that a lot funnier than I think I should do  :D

PJBottomz

FlamingBanana

Muahahahahaha. Victoria in that picture has a sad face on.  :victoria:

PJBottomz

I tried to edit the sprites once, but they came out like shit. :-X

FlamingBanana

PJ, did you use windows paint? (simply referred to as Paint)? It totally screws everything up. I suggest going to getpaint.net and downloading the software paint.net there. Use that instead, as it does not totally screw everything up.

PJBottomz

No, I used GIMP (General Image Manipulation Program). It works just a well as paint did.

Terry

The issue is probably transparency - they're single coloured sprites, so you need to have a transparent background layer for it to work. White pixels, black pixels, whatever, anything that's not transparent is just going to be rendered as a single colour by the game.

FlamingBanana

Originally, I put in black spots to make crazy eyes, but in the game they turned blue, which was fine by me.

And when you use MSPaint or apprently GIMP, saving it removes the transparency. It gave me a warning in MSPaint when i tried, but I'm assuming GIMP was very silent about it.

Although it is rather funny when viridian becomes a box.  :viridian:

PJBottomz

Gimp uses actual transparency - it doesn't use a white background. Say if I wanted to edit  :viridian:'s sprite in GIMP. It would look something like this:

GIMP actually handles PNG transparency very well. If it was a JPEG image, there'd be an issue, though.

FlamingBanana

Hmph.

Paint.net does that too, but MSPaint doesn't.

So how did you screw it up then?

PJBottomz

xTwoTails

PJBottomz