Tutorial - How to ZIP your levvvvvvels

Started by xTwoTails, September 12, 2011, 01:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xTwoTails

Allright, let's tackle the most common problem while posting your LEVVVVVVVEL on the forums.

-- Zipping and You --  :viridian:
Making a ZIP file will make big files into tiny small files!
You can make any VVVVVV level attachable to the Forums if you use a ZIP folder.
How to do it? Here is how and screenshots will be provided to help you (In case you don't know how)

1.- Make your VVVVVV level and save it!
Screenshot:

2.- Let's head over to our folder where all the VVVVVV levels are ! (User Created Levels)

Example:
C:\Users\waimakemedothis\Documents\VVVVVV

3.- Right click any empty space and click on "New" then "New Compressed (Zipped) Folder"
Screenshot:

4.- Now we have our brand new ZIP folder. Name it and make sure to leave the .zip extension so for example you could name your ZIP  " ihateuall.zip "
Let's  click on your level, and drag it to the ZIP folder. The system will automaticly compress the file and make it VEEERY small so you can post it on the forums!

Screenshot:

See, it's small!!

5.- Now that you have your new level made, and compress let's go to the forums and make your new thread on the VVVVVV levels sub-forum!

Click on "New Topic" and you will find a screen like this!
Screenshot:

Click on the + button where  "Attachment and other options" is, and you'll find more options.
You will also see "Attach" !

Click on " Choose File " and find the file on whatever place you saved your ZIP folder.
If you have followed this tutorial, it should be on
C:\Users\waimakemedothis\Documents\VVVVVV
(Reminder: replace waimakemedothis with your username or simply go to My Documents)
After that's done, click on "Post" and the Topic along with the ZIP will be created.

---[ INFORMATION ]---
Keep in mind that while most of user-created levels are less than 128KB , you may have a level that even compressed will be over 128KB. If this is is the case, then feel free to upload it on a sharing host website like DropBox for example.

Thank you for helping us, help you , help us all.

By: xTwoTails   :verdigris:, PJBottomz :vermillion:, Inventive Dispenser :vitellary: and Terry  :viridian:

PJBottomz

WHOA! Your computer looks fucking awesome! What make is it?

Haha, I'm the devious one :vermillion:

Also, "I still hate you all!" XD That's hilarious.

xTwoTails

I think I posted this on the wrong Sub-forum XD
Terry may move it if he finds this belongs in the Level Sub-Forum.

Officer Captain

Is there really an actual need to zip a file which is almost always less than a single megabyte?

xTwoTails

So you can upload it to the Forums without hosting it.
Althought you can use a DropBox link since it's a direct download.
But for those people that don't use this, they can follow my tutorial as this forum is a complete mess!

Also, the max size for a file here is 128KB.
While a ZIP folder can shrink a file that's over 128KB and make it incredibly small!

PJBottomz

Quote from: Officer Captain on September 12, 2011, 11:20:43 PM
Is there really an actual need to zip a file which is almost always less than a single megabyte?

If you want it to fit on the forums attachment section, yes.

Officer Captain

128kb? Huh.
I had a commemorative photo for all of the upload site users and everything, and you come along with your unoptimized levels and state that you get a whole 128kb. Do you realize how hard it is to plan and fund victory parties? Noisemakers for the dropboxers --
Wait, I was against zipping, not for mediafire.

xTwoTails

Silly XD

:shiny:  :victoria:  Since when trinkets move! Come here!     :viridian:  Du-ri-du-ri-du-ri-dooooo~     :vitellary: Here it goes again...

Dispensers Heal