Suggestion: Proper Scripting Engine

Started by ThePaSch, September 16, 2011, 12:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThePaSch

Hi there,
the level editor feature in VVVVVV is, no doubt, really great. However, there's one thing that has been annoying me for quite some while now, and it's the current way of implementing scripts into a level.
To be honest; it's a mess. While, momentarily, it's easily enough to pull some fun tricks with the editor, I can't stop to think about how a "proper" scripting engine would improve both usability and flexibility of scripting.
Take Amnesia: The Dark Descent for an example. They use the AngelScript library for level scripting, and it's darn mighty. You can basically pull everything off in a custom story what the main developers pulled off in the main game, and even more. There's a fair deal of predefined functions which you can use, and combining them to try stuff out is pretty fun.

But of course I'm not suggesting to switch to AngelScript. The current VVVVVV scripting would also be just fine, if we were able to use loops, conditional statements (if-then-else), switches and variables. That would add a huge load of flexibility and functionality to scripting and experienced scripters would be able to do so much more while "regular" scripters could still choose to use the old syntax - it's a win-win situation. It would also turn creating one-time-scripts into a trivial task.

I don't know what's planned for the future regarding scripting, but just these changes I mentioned would make me the most happy level creator in the uniVVVVVVerse.  ;D

EDIT: Oh, and instead of having to place special entities to create a script, a simple button to do so would save the hassle of creating such an entity, filling the script with commands, then deleting it again. It'd also be nice to have an "OnStart" function predefined so we can make stuff happen the moment the level starts without having to place a script area around the player spawn.

Terry

I actually want to do something like this. No promises, though, and it might not be for a while...

ThePaSch

Well, that sounds decent!

But may I suggest something smaller: A checkbox/method you can check/call to automatically make a script run once only. It's a hassle having to create two scripts each time I want something to happen without linking it to a terminal. It would also remove the 99 flag limitation.

Terry

Yep, one shot scripts are also on my list for 2.2 :)

xTwoTails

PJBottomz

Let's not forget the important stuff - properly alligned gravity lines, colored text boxes, crew mood changing, lazers, custom enemies, etc.

xTwoTails

M-maybe.... play as other crew members? owo

" The Chronicles of V: Green Verdigris "

I know... I'm asking too much... :<

ThePaSch

Quote from: PJBottomz on September 16, 2011, 01:09:35 AM
Let's not forget the important stuff - properly alligned gravity lines, colored text boxes, crew mood changing, lazers, custom enemies, etc.

That has been suggested more than enough times already. There's no need to mention that again and again.

PJBottomz

I feel it deserves mentioning. :( I sowwy.

CUTE PUPPY EYES, ATTACK!

ThePaSch

Quote from: PJBottomz on September 16, 2011, 08:18:47 PM
I feel it deserves mentioning. :( I sowwy.
CUTE PUPPY EYES, ATTACK!

No... pu... ppy... eyes... can... not... re... sist...
WAAAAAH I'M SORRY I DIDN'T MEAN TO OHMYGODOHMYGOD.

PJBottomz

It's okay, you're forgiven. XD

NOW ATTACK AGAIN, PUPPY EYES!

robloxfan1999

Can't anyone help but notice that Terry has (ERROR 404) Posts there?

PJBottomz