New WIP Level

Started by PJBottomz, September 18, 2011, 01:27:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PJBottomz

I recently started working on a new level. It's kind of like CCCCCCCCC - 10 zones, a hub, and a final level. The hub is about 5x3, and the first zone (which has already been designed) is four screens long and one screen down. Of course, I'm planning on making the next few larger.

Here's two shots of my favorite screens from Zone 1.

"Under Pressure" is my absolute favorite room in Zone 1. It's a tribute to my favorite room in VVVVVV, "Not As I Do." Yep, I'm a nutcase.

"Row-Pez and Pull-Ease" comes a close second to my favorite Zone 1 room - mostly because of the name, but because a moving platform riding along a gravity line is the shit. It looks freaking awesome.

I'm not going for heavy scripting like I did in, "This is Portal", but rather for the quality challenges of the rooms. In fact, I've been reconsidering some of the stuff I did in the first zone because it's so hard. The only scripting I've placed so far are the scripts that give access to the Zones. The trinkets are keys to getting in, and you get them at the end of each Zone. The number of trinkets you have determines which Zone you get into - 1 trinket for Zone 1, 2 trinkets for Zone 2, and so on. The first trinket is given to you in the hub area, and then the rest are in the zones.

I don't know when this will be finished, and I can't place a deadline for it. I'm not really rushing this level.

So, thoughts?

EDIT: Demo updated - contains zones 1, 2, 3 & 4, and a two-screen non-challenge intermission level.

xTwoTails

Very cool, can we maybe try it and give you our opinions? o.o?

PJBottomz

No, not yet - it doesn't have enough Zones completed for beta testing. I think after I finish the 5th/6th Zone, I'll let you guys test it.

Dispensers Heal

Damn It AL to Hell

The level looks amazing so far, can't wait to see the finished product! :viridian:

PJBottomz

Thanks guys! Anyway, after I finish up a few more Zones, I'll let you guys have a go at it. Oh, here's the first room in Zone 2:

I'd like to see some one complete that without dying. (I've managed to complete it, so it is possible.)

EDIT: Okay, since you guys were SERIOUSLY eager to test this for me, I'll let you play the demo - it has Zones 1 & 2 completely finished (for the most part). It's going to be very difficult for you, though - if you're not a good player, I wouldn't try this.

FlamingBanana

*is going to pull a TwoTails and type as he plays*
..Ok, importing now...Ok, done.
Hm, wow yeah this reminds me of CCCCCCCCC.
*enters zone 1*
Like it...
Wow I really like Row-Pez and Pull Ease
*moves onto zone 2*
On Tricky maneuver, theres a weird enemy thats stuck...
"Tricky Maneuver" is an understatement...
Ok, i skipped tricky maneuver...WAY too difficult...
I like the dependence sequence, but an in between checkpoint would be nice. But not needed.
"Sending my Possi" Is IMPOSSIBLE!!!! IM-POSS-EE-BLEH!!! Skipping...
*finishes zone 2*
I want moar!! AND a script!!

--FlamingBanana---

PJBottomz

Quote from: FlamingBanana on September 18, 2011, 11:00:47 PM
On Tricky maneuver, theres a weird enemy thats stuck...

It's supposed to do that.

PJBottomz

UPDATE:

For those who care (since only 7 people downloaded the last demo, and only 1 person gave me feedback :-X) the demo has been updated. I made a few rooms a little easier, I made, "Sending My Possi" possi-ble [/corny joke], and completed the 3rd zone!

Enjoy (AND SUBMIT FEEDBACK, DAMMIT! :violet:)

EDIT: Imgur just now started working, so here's my screenies for Zone 3!

This room is my favorite of Zone 3 (those platforms move). Why? Because, what APPEARS to be a simple challenge is actually rather difficult - I died at least 16 times! That being said, it IS still possible. And the title of the room answers the oncoming questions of, "Was that purposely hard?"

I liked this one simply for the name - Serendipity! :D

Damn It AL to Hell

I just realized WIP means work in progress  :P

Buttons

I didn't find Tricky Maneuver very difficult, but I don't think I used the intended path either. Hopping right off the checkpoint block and then taking a hard left, you can get to the lower-right crumbling platform without using the gravity line or the platform underneath the start at all. Maybe that's unintended.

I gave up towards the end of Zone 3 though. I forget the name of the room, but there's a difficult spiky path off to the left (which is longer than it needs to be, I think) and a warp off to the right which leads to a room with gravity lines that I can't figure out.

EDIT: Oh, I see. It used to be harder.

PJBottomz

Quote from: Buttons on October 06, 2011, 01:32:09 PM
I didn't find Tricky Maneuver very difficult, but I don't think I used the intended path either. Hopping right off the checkpoint block and then taking a hard left, you can get to the lower-right crumbling platform without using the gravity line or the platform underneath the start at all. Maybe that's unintended.

... Damn. Okay, I'll have to look into that. That was definetely NOT the intended path.

Quote from: Buttons on October 06, 2011, 01:32:09 PM
I gave up towards the end of Zone 3 though. I forget the name of the room, but there's a difficult spiky path off to the left (which is longer than it needs to be, I think) and a warp off to the right which leads to a room with gravity lines that I can't figure out.

EDIT: Oh, I see. It used to be harder.

That spiky path is supposed to lead directly to the other end of that screen (as a cruel, sick joke), but I don't know what you mean with the gravity lines. I thought I removed them.