Beta patch 2.1 Final

Started by simoroth, October 04, 2011, 04:16:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FIQ

Quote from: avengah on December 06, 2012, 03:13:49 AM
I think some of you have missed the point, I'm afraid. We were talking about the fact that there is, in fact, a version which isn't even available on this forum that is more stable than the 2.1 currently available. As has been stated before, some of the bugs listed as fixed in 2.1 are not actually fixed in 2.1; apparently, they are fixed in a later version that Terry or Simoroth has, but for some reason hasn't made public.

What we've been asking for is for this LATER version to become public (i.e. be linked to on here or something). I'm sure that would fix a lot of problems people have been having.

Remind me why people still bother with Macs when they're far less compatible? The same applies to Linux. It might be a better OS, but if it's incompatible with so much software then it doesn't matter.
No comment on Mac, but I use Linux as it gives me way more freedom over what to do with the OS. I can go and make a much longer explanation but I wont.

About the unreleased 2.1, I guess it's because that it also introduced some instability  (crashes, etc).

The old binary (released when this thread was made) has working quicksaving in the tower, the new build (released nov 16th~) lacks this fix.

blue626

Remind me why people still bother with Macs when they're far less compatible? The same applies to Linux. It might be a better OS, but if it's incompatible with so much software then it doesn't matter.

It's not that incompatible... and just because it's incompatible it doesn't mean it should stay incompatible! :P We Mac OS people have rights too!
However, I feel like I have to say that the fact that I can't get 2.1.beta it's part my fault... I have Windows installed on my computer too, but because I use it very rarely, I forgot about it when I bought VVVVVV 2.0. :-X ...Wait, that way I would have to switch to Windows just to play VVVVVV, and I wouldn't like that, so, no! :) :P This version is already great, anyway. I'm not going to buy it again just to get the 2.1. features! :P Also, I wouldn't get it on Steam like I have now (I suppose Steam only installs on one OS if I have 2 on my computer?), but that's not important.

Like Simon Roth said 7 months ago in this thread, Terry has gave up on this project even if it was (and is) in beta. Still that didn't mean nobody was going to do it, so I expected a Mac version/stable version to be done after some months, but then I started to think that there wasn't going to be any of those, and that's what I think now.

Hilbert

Macs can operate Windows as well as the default, so, problem solved! :viridian:

Scia

Quote from: blue626 on December 07, 2012, 06:35:41 PM
Quote from: avengah on December 06, 2012, 03:13:49 AMRemind me why people still bother with Macs when they're far less compatible? The same applies to Linux. It might be a better OS, but if it's incompatible with so much software then it doesn't matter.

It's not that incompatible... and just because it's incompatible it doesn't mean it should stay incompatible! :P We Mac OS people have rights too!

I'm with this guy.  One of the reasons why I got this game is because I saw that it works on both Mac and Windows (even though I also have Windows).

Quote from: blue626 on December 07, 2012, 06:35:41 PM...Also, I wouldn't get it on Steam like I have now (I suppose Steam only installs on one OS if I have 2 on my computer?), but that's not important.

Actually, if you get it on Steam, you'll be able to download it on both Mac and Windows.  I can say this for sure.

Speaking of Steam, for those that might be curious, I did a little experiment and it's perfectly possible to run the patch in Steam.  Easy even.  You pretty much just put the files in the game folder under your Steam > Apps > Common > VVVVVV folder (or something similar to that) instead of the usual VVVVVV folder.

blue626

Quote from: Scia on December 08, 2012, 01:22:35 AM
Quote from: blue626 on December 07, 2012, 06:35:41 PM...Also, I wouldn't get it on Steam like I have now (I suppose Steam only installs on one OS if I have 2 on my computer?), but that's not important.

Actually, if you get it on Steam, you'll be able to download it on both Mac and Windows.  I can say this for sure.

I meant if I install Steam it'll only install on my computer. Probably yes.
I'll stay with 2.0. until the beta for Mac OS is released... I actually doubt it will be.

Quote from: RoskillaHULK!! on December 07, 2012, 08:47:28 PM
Macs can operate Windows as well as the default, so, problem solved! :viridian:

I think he meant Mac OS.

HG42

:vitellary:

After making a level that took time and creativity, and coming back to find it strangely unsaved,
And attempting to reproduce it but finding it was based off of a glitch that I cannot reproduce,
I am so glad to see this update from 2.0 over to 2.1.

Thank you.

blue626

I still feel like it's wroth to report bugs:

• While play-testing in the level editor, pressing Enter while in a wrapping room and if the CP (or Start point) in which you started play-tesinting is in a wrapping room wrapping right, the background form room with the CP/Start point will overlap the background form the room where you pressed Enter gradually, starting form the left or right edge (I don't remember the side). Maybe it occurs too if the room with the CP/SP has vertical wrapping? And all-around wrapping?
  • While playing a level, entering to another room from the upper/lower edge when the entrance has a wrap line in the another room (if you try to go to the original room from the same entrance, you'll wrap around), :viridian: appears in the top of the 2nd room (with the same horizontal position). This might make cheating possible in levels like Soul Searching. I wouldn't consider this minor, but not major either.

AlexS08

I keep getting an error saying This application has failed to start because SDL_image.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem. How do I fix it? Re-installing the application did not work.

Durandle

Hi,

I was quite excited to see pad support at last however it seems to be really broken. using a 360 pad I found there is no dead-zone on the left thumb-stick - you really need this otherwise you find it hard to stop moving! The d-pad appears to be back-to-front on the in-game menu and none of the pad controls exit that menu! I look forward to using a pad to play vvvvvv on my HTPC :)

This is with the windows build under win7.

ToasterApocalypse

I wish they'd just do one last update and let us upload custom music into the game

that
would be
awesom

FIQ

If VVVVVV does get released for iPhone, the desktop 2.1 version might see a release as a side effect.

ToasterApocalypse

Quote from: FIQ on January 16, 2013, 05:08:39 PM
If VVVVVV does get released for iPhone, the desktop 2.1 version might see a release as a side effect.
I'm confused

ok

N

Quote from: Ballos on January 16, 2013, 04:48:06 PM
I wish they'd just do one last update and let us upload custom music into the game

that
would be
awesom

Dav999

Quote from: SoulEye on September 04, 2011, 05:00:22 AM
Quote from: GLaDOS V.3 on August 19, 2011, 10:51:16 PM
any way to edit VVVVVV's music? i just wanna put (a) song in.
just for fun ;D

??? :o  :-X  :( >:( BLASPHEMY! HEATHEN! BURN THE WITCH! ::) :'(  :-[  :-\  ;)  :-*  :)

But that was about editing, not adding new music. Still, I'd expect a reaction similar to this one...

But being able to import music in the game would guarantee that some things would go wrong. Summarized:

A: "Check out my new VVVVVV level, it's a cool level with cool music"
B: "I don't hear any music!"
A: "Strange, it works for me..."
C: "You're the 164th person who forgot to upload the music as well!"
A: "Ah, so I should just upload all of the songs I used in my level to this forum so people can play it in my level? Got it!"
A: "Wait... The files are too big. I'm uploading them to Dropbox instead..."
D: (a pirate) "Yay free copyrighted music!"
B: "I can't download it!"
C: "Why did you use the worst music in the world? It's not even 8-bit!"
E: (a few months after the latest reply) "The download link is broken, it says the file is no longer available due to copyright claims."

Etc etc.

Also, some people would be mean enough to put screamers in their levels, or a level creator may start replacing dialog boxes by irritating voices...

So a built-in music editing thing in VVVVVV would be much better than being able to use just any song or sound.

Chillius

Quote from: FIQ on January 16, 2013, 05:08:39 PM

i can see what it would look like