"Not as i do" -- the most annoying room?

Started by ecsdaowzwpjlvn, January 19, 2010, 06:30:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ecsdaowzwpjlvn

Not as in the most hard (though it is hard, but not harder than "Doing things the hard way" and "Edge games"), but as in the most intense and maddening.

It was also the most time consuming (for me at least).

"Doing things the hard way" -- if you lose in a split of a second you start again, it's all very calm, just rinse and repeat.

"Not as i do" -- rrrrRRRRRR!!!..

StephenM3

It's strange... I never found "Not as I do" very hard, after I figured out what to do.  (There are of course other rooms that most people found easy that I found near impossible.)  I did think that the room name was pretty perfect; it's actually the main reason I figured it out.

allen

It was very hard the first time, I admit. But the second time it was a peace of cake. There were some other rooms in the finale that were just as hard, I thought.

Shasharala

It was such a pain in the butt to relearn to do it in flip mode!  :o

VAgentZero

I had a lot of trouble in "Not As I Do" -- cf. my first post in VVVVVV Haiku.  I'm looking at you, Vitellary...

It was less about knowing what to do for me as it was executing it -- the timing of getting your companion across those platforms is tricky.

ME-tan

I made it through not as I do in the end, it just takes practice. DTTHW I can now get part of the way back down so it is a matter of time.  The edge games trinket is driving me nuts though. I can't get the timing right...

Viking

It took me a few hours away from the game for it to suddenly click 'Ah! That's what i am meant to do!' After that, it only took a couple of attempts.Definitely the one of the harder to figure out screens.

Edge Games was another pain in the rear though. I tried to quickly rush it but that doesn't work. As soon as you learn you have to go calmly through it, 'jumping' a couple of times at each intersection, it becomes quite easy.

jovoc

It's certainly the most annoying room so far for me... i'm currently stuck there. Is there a trick to it or is it just really hard?

StephenM3

There's a trick.  Might as well say it outright in this thread.  Don't read on (anyone) if you don't want it shown to you!

The room title gives a clue-- Your companion isn't supposed to do the same thing you do, he's supposed to do what you "say" to do.  So first, instead of going the way that (s)he's supposed to go, get yourself across the room Veridian-style:  flip onto the underside of the moving platforms, and move across to stand on the underside of that ledge over there.Now that you're on the ledge, you can flip to the floor to command "go" and flip to the ceiling to say "stop."  Use that timing to get your companion across, and (s)he should head over to the next screen.  Now you're free to make your way back the way you came (on the bottom of the platforms), then cross the "correct" way to finish.

Bloodshadow

This room was the second hardest room for me. I think this room is the only room that I used some sort of bug exploit to get across.
That time, I successfully got Victoria across the room. I had to go back to the beginning of the room, but then I died, and had to restart again. I got frustrated, backed up my save file, and activated God Mode. When I changed my save files back, Victoria was already safely across the room. I don't know how this happened, but I passed the room...

The hardest room for me was the Final Challenge. It was a level like the Tower, but it had gravity lines. Personally I died 511 times in that room. I guess that's what to expect from the last room of the game.

CheezyW

I think you guys are forgetting the room with the one huge platform and ceiling of spikes (The "Don't fall behind" one I think?)

For some reason, she'd never be close enough to walk off the platform, and she'd ALWAYS fall into the spikes. I died many times on this screen till I adjusted my timing. It was like a miracle. The other rooms are merely tricks, this one is just brutal lucky timing.

Terry

Damn It AL to Hell

Dispensers Heal

The "Time to get serious" level gave me problems the first time, because I didn't realize that wraparound rooms had their own background.

SirBryghtside

The first time I played it, I did the whole thing without flipping.

...yeah.