Roadtrip to the Moon by Rox (PJ Version)

Started by PJBottomz, October 08, 2011, 12:42:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PJBottomz

DISCLAIMER: I do not own "Roadtrip to the Moon", nor did I create it. This level belongs to it's respective owner, and can be removed by the owner's request.

Hey guys! So, besides helping people with scripts and recreating stuff, I also edit people's work (because, technically, it's avalible for use in the editor if it's a vvvvvv file.), and sometimes try to make it more interesting.

Today's level is: Roadtrip to the Moon by Roger Svanlund (aka Rox)

Rox is best known for having three levels included with VVVVVV, "Roadtrip to the Moon","Line Wrap", and "Golden Spiral".

"Roadtrip to the Moon" is one of my favorite levels on VVVVVV! It features a bunch of difficult challenges and shiny trinkets, and short but difficult final challenge. But, I found some problems with it (well, problems to me) that I didn't like.

First, it was made in the 2.0 version, so Rox didn't have the use of Direct Mode or coloured text. Not that the text mattered, because THERE WERE NO SCRIPTS. That's a serious crime to me, mostly because there's no storyline. Sadface.

Anyway, I spent the last few *cough*4to5*cough* hours adding a storyline! I've thourghly tested each script to make sure it functions properly. There are 4 different endings, all of which depend on how many trinkets you get. See if you can get them all!

I've also used Direct Mode to make a few minor fixes. Try to spot them (as long as you can avoid stuff while falling and looking somewhere else *hint*)

Screenshots (Original Version):

(Rox, if you don't want this to be avalible, I can delete it. It'd be no problem. I usually keep these edits as my personal version. I don't know why I felt the need to share this. :P)

Damn It AL to Hell

Oooh, nice improvements PJ! You sure know how to fix a level up right! I enjoyed this level more in the new version, the story was cool, the challenges were similar, but not too similar, difficulty is pixel excellent! I loved this improvement, nice work 10/10 :viridian:  :shiny: _ :shiny:  Trinket faces for 10/10s!

Dispensers Heal

PJBottomz

Quote from: Vex69 on October 08, 2011, 01:08:13 AM
Oooh, nice improvements PJ! You sure know how to fix a level up right! I enjoyed this level more in the new version, the story was cool, the challenges were similar, but not too similar, difficulty is pixel excellent! I loved this improvement, nice work 10/10 :viridian:  :shiny: _ :shiny:  Trinket faces for 10/10s!

I love Trinket Face! XD

Anyway, I didn't really changed any of the challenges. I just used Direct Mode to make the backing look nicer, and I added scripts is all.

Quote from: Dispensers Heal on October 08, 2011, 01:10:52 AM
Nice. Little happy peoples are fun.

Yes, they are.

Dispensers Heal

Anyway...

I'm working on a 80-screen level that uses all 80 screens.

Curently the first area (a Game Boy homage section) has been completed.

Should I use Direct Mode for the second area? It uses the Space Station tileset.

Damn It AL to Hell

Holy crap 80 screens? Oh wait, is that like 20 by 4 or something?

PJBottomz

Quote from: Dispensers Heal on October 08, 2011, 01:46:07 AM
Anyway...

I'm working on a 80-screen level that uses all 80 screens.

Curently the first area (a Game Boy homage section) has been completed.

Should I use Direct Mode for the second area? It uses the Space Station tileset.

Direct Mode has one setback with the Space Station tileset - you can only combine it with the Outdoor tileset, and you can only use 4 of the outdoor colors.

Stampy

Yeah, when Rox made this level, the script editor wasn't even in the game! 

PJBottomz

Quote from: Stampy on October 08, 2011, 03:53:49 AM
Yeah, when Rox made this level, the script editor wasn't even in the game!

WHAAAAAAAT?! That's crazy!

Martze

Before I even try to play this, has "Which seat can you take?" been made slightly more reasonable? That's where I ragequit the original level.

PJBottomz

Quote from: Martze on October 08, 2011, 09:27:45 PM
Before I even try to play this, has "Which seat can you take?" been made slightly more reasonable? That's where I ragequit the original level.

I know how you feel about that. Unfortunately, I haven't changed ANY of the challenges. I think I'll go back and make that screen much more easily now that you asked that.