A First Level: "V is for..." by Quanyails

Started by Quanyails, November 19, 2011, 12:58:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quanyails

Since the forum upload-thingy is borked, here's an alternate download: http://www.sendspace.com/file/tadia6

Note: this was made on the Steam version of VVVVVV, which is still in ver. 2.0.

I had a Saturday some time ago where I dedicated my spare time to making a level; I ran out of steam after about 20 rooms (5x4, all rooms filled), but I tried to make good do with each room and between rooms. In fact, a good deal of my rooms are made from small curiosities I found while experimenting. No scripting, since I don't really know how.

Something people might find surprising in the game; none of the screens' names start with V! Well, that's only half true; each screen's name is the definition of a corresponding V-word, hence, 'V' standing for various words for corresponding situations. I have included a text file in the .zip that identifies each of these words, if needed.

Yes, Verdigris isn't supposed to be flipped.
Yes, that enemy in 'Magnitude and Direction' is meant to be right in your path.
Yes, you're supposed to return to 'Magnitude and Direction' multiple times.
Yes, the gravitational reverser in 'Limiting Edges' is supposed to be hidden.
Yes, that warp token is supposed to lead you there.
Yes, that was supposed to happen if you do it that way in 'Not At All Obliged'.
Yes, the enemy will kill you if you enter the wrong way from 'Artificial Environment'.
Yes, there are multiple ways to certain tasks.
No, 'Directional Flux' is not as hard as it appears (although 'Despite Challenges, Undeterred' is).
No, don't flip during one half of 'Close, but Not Quite'.
Be careful between screens.

How difficult was this level? I didn't intend it to be too tough; plenty of checkpoints, not much dexterity needed... and how are its aesthetics?

Edit: Fixed up one accidental room displacement due to looping screens and a typo in the text file.
Edit 2: Fixed up more minor glitches.
Edit 3: Made some rooms backtrackable, added a checkpoint to an otherwise annoying location if you die, and changed the colors of some rooms.
Edit 4: Tried to fix that index.php download by re-uploading the .zip. Didn't work.

PJBottomz

I'm surprised there are no replies for this!

I found this level VERY well made and structurally sound and not glitchy at all! :) It's pretty good, and since you have 2.0, you are excused from the fix-needed areas that can be made with Direct Mode. Of course, they're minor and not a major effect on the game.

For your first level, I'm VERY impressed. Good job!

Damn It AL to Hell

Pretty cool stuff man. That was a nice level, I enjoyed it thoroughly, and it wasn't Cotton Alley hard, the difficulty was pretty well balanced, so Good job! Hope to see more! 10/10 :viridian:

:shiny: _ :shiny:

Quanyails

Thank you, you two. :) What parts need to be fixed, PJBottomz?

I prefer creating unique ideas to hair-pulling challenges, so I'm glad the difficulty was balanced, Vex69.

PJBottomz

Quote from: Quanyails on November 23, 2011, 06:57:52 PM
What parts need to be fixed, PJBottomz?

Just some unimportant aesthetics stuff. It's not a major concern to the level, so don't worry about it. Besides it can only be done in Direct Mode anyway, so it's nothing you can really do.

Quanyails

All right. I'll see if I can do anything when Steam gets that update.

Edit: The small displacement between 'Artificial Environment' and 'Despite Challenges, Undeterred' is intentional, due to me wanting to keep that one-block slant between rooms. That one-block-width area in 'Beholding Ideas' is unintentional, since I wanted to create something artistic there and two-width blocks wouldn't do.

Blatch

I have to say, this is a really nice level for someone who's just starting out with the editor. You get my formal approval. :viridian:

It was hard, there's no denying that, but what really stuck out to me was that there was nothing that cheesed me off enough so that I had to stop playing. Sure, "Despite Challenges, Undeterred" was annoying, but I knew there were still other routes to explore the first time I got to that point.

You could probably fix up a few glitches with Direct Mode, but this level doesn't need anything changed design-wise.

Officer Captain

Alright, firstly, I absolutely adore the "index.php" file that [Quanyail's] attachment gives me. Not only is this file not in .vvvvvv format, it isn't even your level. You likely have little control over this issue, but I would like to congratulate you anyway on breaking something.

Damn It AL to Hell

Yeah, gotta agree with that, and I haven't seen you online for while.

Quanyails

Thank you, Blatch. :)

I see what happened, Officer Captain. I tried uploading my file again, to no success. I've sent it to Sendspace for the time being.

Terry

That index.php thing is actually a problem with the new version of firefox - I'm hoping it'll be fixed automatically very soon.