Full world maps

Started by kyledog, January 22, 2010, 03:10:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyledog

Didn't see these on here yet, they have been extremely useful for me... enjoy! (These are from the beta). Note: the large file size may require a reload or two to show up, especially on the world maps :)

World Map Pt 1:
http://bayimg.com/FAJHgAACn

World Map Pt2:
http://bayimg.com/FaJHhAacn

Tower:
http://www.image-share.com/ipng-147-177.html

Final Pt 1:
http://www.image-share.com/ipng-147-174.html

Final Pt 2:
http://bayimg.com/FAJHCaAcn

nathanel

Woah you're the man!! how did you do it?

Applekid

Non beta single eye-and-computer-killing picture coming nicely, Space Station 1 + 2, Home Ship, Dimension V. Tower might wind up being a problem, though, might have to get split off of it's taller than the world map. :victoria: But I REALLY want a single image. (That fellow at Radio Shack said I was mad, but who's mad now?!)

VVVVVV map.png

Terry

Wow! ;D

Yeah, you're definitely going to have a problem with the tower, it's 26 rooms tall! And I'm pretty sure it doesn't even really line up with the entrance/exit. Good luck with that :P

StephenM3

Wait, it's 26 rooms tall?  Unless I miscounted, and if it does happen to line up right, then that's perfect!  if you wrap around once, it's 26 rooms up from the entrance to the exit.

Applekid, have you considered doing an animated .gif for the tower's sake?  the overlapping areas can flash alternating between the first 6 room-heights and the last 6 room-heights.  And if things don't line up properly, you can fudge around the point where it wraps.  (Am I making sense?)

Also, this is incredibly impressive (and I WILL find some way to make this a poster when you're done), but I do feel you're cheating a bit by cutting out a bit from each of the non-named rooms.

Applekid

Yeah, it would loop around perfectly. I hadn't considered using an animated gif at all... quite tempting. Although now that I finished the map (except for Tower) I'm finding that it's already at 303 distinct colors. I find this surprising, but, just looking at it you can see a distinctive kind of primary coloring on the left of the tower and a pastel coloring on the right.

Just to keep it all together, maybe just a [sinful] change and double the tower width. Already, some of the levels are pretty much impossible to literally follow via map alone (like Warp Zone) the without knowing the flow anyway since each room appears to have multiple exits, plus the teleporting around, so, maybe it wouldn't be such a terrible loss. However, this does bring with it a problem since I shaved pixels off each screen (as mentioned before) so that 26 screen high tower MIGHT wind up taller than 26 trimmed screens. Since, so far, though, the shaved pixels don't have hidden geometry I'm tempted to just put the gaps back in and fill them in. Still don't want the room names, though, since it breaks up the vertical flow a lot, I find, from the full beta maps. I'd definitely give the full file so Terry could consider setting up a Zazzle account so huge posters can be bought. Mwa ha ha.

I already sliced together The Tower though. Normally I 'shop Viridian out so you can appreciate the level itself, but it's SO cute seeing so many of them crawling all around The Tower all at once.  ;D

Terry

You're right, I'd leave them in  :viridian: :viridian: :viridian: :viridian: :viridian: :viridian:

(As for fitting the tower in, I think the extra column idea is the way to go)

StephenM3

This is really, really impressive!  Way to go, man!

Splicing back in that extra square of height might be the way to go, though.  there are a few spots (Like the second Laboratory trinket's cave) where the cut is actually visible (with the floor and part of a checkpoint missing).  I don't envy you filling in all that space in the named rooms, though!  Yet another way the geometry of dimension VVVVVV is non-euclidian.

Have you given any thought to doing the Polar Dimension next?  I don't think the three levels interlock in any interesting way, but I still think it'd be cool to see them mapped out.  (although as kyledog had to deal with, the scrolling parts of the final level are three screens tall, but seem to take up only two screens in the puzzle).

Yelnats

I made a 25% map with sharp lines and a slightly brightened background in non-level areas.

Bloodshadow

Whoa... The map for the Warpzone was pretty messed up. Maybe you could add some sort of "barrier" on the room exits that warp? It shouldn't be anything much, maybe just a transparent strip of color showing that those exits aren't real exits.

Kitoari

Quote from: StephenM3 on January 25, 2010, 03:10:38 AM
Have you given any thought to doing the Polar Dimension next?  I don't think the three levels interlock in any interesting way, but I still think it'd be cool to see them mapped out.  (although as kyledog had to deal with, the scrolling parts of the final level are three screens tall, but seem to take up only two screens in the puzzle).
I'm working on this, but I'm going to have to replay the entire game to get unobstructed screenshots of the 3rd polar level.
:victoria:

TerraEsperZ

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I just had to add to it since I've been working for the past few days on making full maps of the game too (before I found out about this forum).

My intent is not to compete with those already working on this but simply to make my own maps (I've done quite a bit of screenshot maps for various console and PC games so far), parallax background and everything.

I must admit that so far, the most annoying thing to deal with is the constantly shifting colour palettes. Aside from the actual stages, everything else is constantly (yet subtly) changing colour, from Veridian and crew to the room names and the various enemies. I was hoping that disabling the special effects in the graphical options would put a stop to it, but sadly no :victoria:

If anyone here had plans to do just such a map with backgrounds and everything, please tell me right away so I don't waste my time on a project that will be outdated before it's even finished...

*EDIT*

I wonder if it would be possible for Terry to provide us with the default RGB values for the various animated elements, if it was easy for him to do so (like when he simply pasted the code with all the room names in the wiki thread)? I'd also like to know if the parallax background of The Tower is the same as the one from the title screen since I can only capture a very small part of it?

Damn It AL to Hell

Damn It AL to Hell

Quote from: Applekid
I already sliced together The Tower though. Normally I 'shop Viridian out so you can appreciate the level itself, but it's SO cute seeing so many of them crawling all around The Tower all at once.  ;D

Army of Viridians in the Tower XD.

Dispensers Heal

Viridian is playable in Time Kufc?