VVVVVV online?

Started by SaltyBarcode, December 21, 2011, 11:59:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SaltyBarcode

I just had an idea that VVVVVV could become an online game, possibly utilizing steam's servers. Feel free to post any ideas about this.  :viridian:

robloxfan1999

Hi!, just want to say I've had that idea too! Just would want it to be non-steam and steam for people who dont own it on steam. But I still agree with your idea. Bai!

Officer Captain

SaltyBarcode

Maybe people could run the servers from their computer by hosting games. Is there anyway we can flag this to get the Almighty Terry to see this?

Terry

Haha, you guys know how much work this would be, right? It would be like, developing a whole new game.

Oddly enough, though, this is something I've thought about. It's unlikely to ever happen, but from a design perspective, I think it could actually work.

Whirligig

Reminder to everyone: the last time he made sure we knew that it was just an idea and not a promise, the topic was VVVVVV 2.0.

http://distractionware.com/forum/index.php?topic=233

:P

SaltyBarcode

Ah, Thank you Terry. I really hope you do manage to get it online - It would make the game have more of a purpose after you complete the (absolutely brilliant, by the way) campaign. Also, think of it this way - there's a lot of money to be made with an in-game economy system!

SaltyBarcode

Sorry to bring up an old thread again, but as I was reading through the posts about KittyRPG (I'm sorry it's not working, by the way. I was looking fowards to it) I thought it might be possible to use the same chatroom system used in that game in VVVVVV. Would that be possbile?  :verdigris:

Terry

Yep. That would be possible.

Keiji

How exactly would a multiplayer VVVVVV work?

Race to the end of a level?
Co-operative Metroidvania? (either player can get each trinket)
Competitive Metroidvania? (if one player gets a trinket, it'll be missing when the other player gets there)

Could it be integrated with the main game? I would think that would mess up the intermission levels.

Alternatively... in before VVVVVV Sleep is Death crossover... :vermillion:

Whirligig

I always imagined online VVVVVV as an MMO where people can build and go through each other's areas.

Wait. We can already do that.

SaltyBarcode

If the online were to have building in it, would it make it too much like minecraft/terraria?

It could be a deathmatch-type game mode, possibly where combatants must jump on each other's heads to kill them (a sort of multiplayer flip mario) However, I think this would ruin the entire feel of VVVVVV

Viridian

Ok get this, co-op VVVVVV!

Player 1 plays as Viridian who can flip like in the game, and Player 2 plays as Verdigris  who cannot flip but can instead jump. There are switches on the floor that activate the moving platforms that only Verdigris can use and switches on the roof that Viridian can use. Switches can also turn inversion planes on and off, as Verdigris cannot go through inversion planes.

Doubt this will come into existence except in my imagination, but if VVVVVV gets sequel'ed and the above was an additional feature, that would be freaking awesome!
:viridian: :viridian: :viridian: :viridian: :viridian: :viridian:

BannedMadness

I would make it the same game, but in chat mode, you get to talk with people from around the world and play the whole game.

darkhog

Viridian's suggestion more fun.