VVVVVV Records: No Death Mode, Super Gravitron, Time Trials

Started by Terry, January 12, 2012, 03:57:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FIQ

Do you mean that Viridian only need to touch the checkpoint in the Y axis...?

blue626

No, I mean that (spoiler, highlight to read) he can only touch the checkpoints by touching it, but he can do it while flipped relatively to the checkpoint too.

RobinLSL

so... I just beat 3:39 at the Super Gravitron. Had the weirdest goosebumps in my hands as soon as I got to 2:30! :viridian:

Does anyone know if that's the world record? At least it seems that nothing on Youtube is higher than this...

FIQ

Quote from: blue626 on May 26, 2012, 05:38:07 PM
No, I mean that (spoiler, highlight to read) he can only touch the checkpoints by touching it, but he can do it while flipped relatively to the checkpoint too.
Ah, I understand. I'm pretty sure this is intended. Actually, in the prototype, doing this will glitch things, so the fact that it was fixed means that it's very intended, I guess :P

blue626

So, it is intended! That can be useful in the Final Level.

Hilbert

My SG score is 21.10
My adverage is 3-7 seconds.

Yes, I fail. :P  :victoria:

blue626

I made a new personal record for the Final Level:
Time: 2:05; Deaths: 3; Trinkets: 1/1; Rank: S (almost V! :vitellary:)

Vallu

My record in no death mode is Gravitron. It's impossible to pass... :victoria: My average score in super Gravitron is usually about 7 seconds. I have tried to train for many times but I don't seem to get better. I'm just wondering.. Has Terry cleared the no death mode himself? :verdigris:

RobinLSL

Quote from: Vallu on July 05, 2012, 04:28:09 AM
My record in no death mode is Gravitron. It's impossible to pass... :victoria: My average score in super Gravitron is usually about 7 seconds. I have tried to train for many times but I don't seem to get better. I'm just wondering.. Has Terry cleared the no death mode himself? :verdigris:

Yeah the Gravitron is the biggest obstacle to a no-death clear. It IS doable, you just need lots of practise as well as memorization.

I'm pretty sure that not even Terry himself has beaten no-death mode.

blue626

Quote from: FIQ on July 19, 2012, 01:57:30 PM
Ooookay.

I felt like speedrunning VVVVVV just because I can. This is how it went:

*space station 1 cleared, 0 deaths*
That's nice, every shortcut done w/o a single death

*the laboratory cleared, 0 deaths*
No death in Kid His Age Bounce :o - nice!

*space station 2 cleared, 0 deaths*
Hey, this is going well on the no-death front as well, even thought I'm not even running it!

*intermission 1 cleared, 0 deaths*
Well, intermission 1 is pretty easy anyway...

*the tower cleared, 0 deaths (no death-shortcut taken, at this part I just wanted to see how long I could survive)*
0 deaths...

*intermission 2 cleared, 0 deaths*
I SURVIVED THE GRAVITRON... OUTSIDE NO DEATH... Done better than I've ever done in no death lol

*warp zone cleared, 3 deaths*
Well, That's Why I have To Kill You always was hard... too bad I died there this time

*final level cleared, 12 deaths*
I could obviously have done better in The Final Challenge, 6 deaths there.

...I did my best no-death run ever... OUTSIDE no death. Brilliant! ...

:o 15 deaths. Yes, you could have done better at "The Final Challenge". I can do it easily without deaths.
And, you completed the gravitron without deaths!?! :o :o :o

My best is 107 deaths, dying ≈30 times on the Gravitron. I think that I can do better...

It's easier to do on the Time Trials (and Ints. from the menu). For example, I've got V ranks for SS1 and the Tower, and an S rank with 3 deaths for the Final Level. I also got S ranks without any deaths (but without trinkets) in the Lab, SS2, and Warp Zone, but I still haven't got in v.2.0.
You never posted your Time Trial records anywhere, but you must be good at those.

Arthur

Weird thing nobody yet talked about minimal-flip run :D Just a question, Terry: do inversion plane bounces count as flips in the flip stat?

(And is the Laboratory Mastered trophy supposed to be sad? Because I've just claimed it (the timer wasn't a problem AT ALL), and it is sad. ???)

RobinLSL

Well I don't think a minimal flips run would be that interesting - all you'd need is a plan an optimal route in every level & inbetween levels, and then do that without dying (saves would be allowed though so it would all be very easy, except for the gravitron).

blue626

So, I played the main game, trying to do with less deaths than before:

SS1: 1 death. I made it while trying to a shortcut at "Linear Collider"
Lab: 4 deaths:

• 1 in "Single-Slit Experiment",
  • 2 at "Please Forgive Me"
  • And 1 at "A difficult chord"
Tower: 0 deaths! I'm starting to think that The Tower is easier than the Lab! EDIT: I got the S rank on the Lab before I got it on The Tower, on v.1.2. However, on 2.0, I got a V rank on The Tower before I got a S rank on the Lab! :o END EDIT.
Int. 1: 4 deaths:

• 2 at "Must I do everything for you?"
  • 2 at "Do Try To Keep Up"
SS2: 9 deaths. I could have done better.
Int. 2: 17 deaths. The Gravitron is normally the hardest room in my speed runs, and it still was in this run. Not bad, for the Gravitron!
Warp Zone: 1 death, in "I Love You", on  the right column. That part is normally easy for me! That's great, for the Warp Zone, for me.
Final Level: 26 deaths. I think that I could have made better, my best is 3 deaths. But I passed through "Three's Company" without deaths!
Total: 62 deaths. I obtained the "Less than 100 deaths" trophy, after some time playing the game! I think that I could have been better. I'll try again later.

EDIT: About the SG, I passed through the pattern where enemies come from both sides, without any deaths, various times! Becuase of that I made a new personal record for the SG: 13,7 sec. It's still not good, though.

blue626

Bump! Well, it isn't really a bump, since this thread is sticky and already was on 1st place in the list (if you sort by date of last post). But, the last reply was almost a month ago.

I made a run, trying to die less times as possible, while getting all the 20 trinkets.
I don't remember the exact number of deaths in each level, but I'll try to give approximations. I'll speak about the deaths while trying to get trinkets too. Note: Inadequate death = death made in a easy place.

SS1: I died after getting the "It's a Secret to Nobody" trinket once, in the next room. It wasn't an adeqaute death, as that room is very easy. I died twice while getting the other trinket, I think.
Lab: I got the first 2 trinket without deaths, forgot about the 3rd, which I got later without deaths and I got the 4th with 2 deaths, 1 while exiting. In the normal route, I think I died about 5 times (some of them in easy places).
Tower: I got the 1st trinket without deaths, the 2nd with about 2 deaths.
Int. 1: 1 death in the 3rd last room, if I remember well. Great!
SS2: I don't know if this is harder than the Warp Zone or not. I died about 20 times here. ≈3 of them were in "Gordian Knot", 5 in DTTHW and 2 in "Prize for the Reckless", the rest in the normal route (I got the remaining trinkets without deaths). I din't count the necessary death for "Prize for the Reckless" here, neither did I on the total death count.
Int. 2: 15 deaths. I think that this is my best, but "The Gravitron" was still the room with most deaths. Also, my 1st death was at 43 or 42, but I think I can get to 30 without deaths.
2 "challenging" trinkets in the over world: about 8 deaths.
Warp Zone: My first death was an inadequate one at "Edge Games". I got the trinket right after that and then died while exiting. Great! I then died about 6 times in the next rooms.
Final Level: About 10 deaths. I think that the 2nd part is easier for me, for some reason. Actually, I only made 1 death there, and it was inadequate again >:(.
Total: 79 deaths. I got 7 of the "challenging" trinkets without deaths!

So, is this good or not?

blue626

I decided it was a better idea to make another post instead of editing the other post, since edits don't make the new posts icon in the board appear and I'm not sure if they make the "new" text appear in the thread. The last post is already 4 days old, so probably almost everyone has read it and would never read it again, so they would never read the edit. So, I hope you don't mind if I triple-post.

I decided to put the best times from the "Time Trials" thread, as well as from other places, here, as well as who made them, just like in the 1st post of the TT thread:

Speedruns:
In these the trinket count isn't important. Most of these are S ranks without any trinkets.

SS1 - 0:43 - Ieonid
Lab - 1:11 - ThePaSch
Tower - 1:29 - eyf - This one is an A rank, because eyf used the trick I mentioned in the "Time Trial Tricks" thread.
SS2 - So far, I'm the only one who mentioned a SS2 speed run! Weird... I'm sure it's possible to do better than this, but here it is - 2:05 - blue626 (Weird... :o ) - I got the "One way room" trinket (and only that one) because it's faster to go that way. Btw: Sorry, but I haven't got a screenshot or film of this run.
Warp Zone - 1:10 - Wobbles

Complete runs:
In all of these, all trinkets were collected. They're all V ranks.

SS1 - 0:55 - Wobbles and joniho - I'm not sure of this one
Lab - 2:02 - Wobbles
Tower - 1:31 - Draconis and Poochy.EXE - It isn't possible to do better
SS2 - 2:25 - Wobbles
Warp Zone - 1:12 - Wobbles
Final Level - 1:39 - Alphapartikkern

I wonder if any of these runs are World Records...

After noticing the dates of the 1st posts in the TT thread, I found that Wobbles made S ranks in the day after the day VVVVVV was released and some others made them in the next days! :o My first TT run of SS1 must have been like this (I don't rembember well):
7:00 - 70 deaths - 1/2 trinkets - B rank
I got one of the trinkets (and neither both neither none) because I didn't know how the ranking system works. Perhaps some instructions saying how the system works is a good suggestion. At that time I thought only expert players could reach the par time, but I reached it 2 or 3 months later. After some months, I got the S ranks (but not every one of them at the same day). How did they get S ranks only after playing a few days?! :o

EDIT: Does anyone think that it's better to do a table with the times, players, etc. instead of what I wrote above? I discovered how to make tables with this posting code (I think it's called BB code, but I'm not sure), but there are no lines and little space between the columns, which doesn't make it look good. What do you think?

Okay, when I played v.1.2, I got the S ranks (all of them without trinkets) in this order:

SS1, Lab, Tower, SS2, Warp Zone, Final Level.

...which is the same as the order for unlocking the time trials. I was slow at rescuing the crewmembers and getting the trinkets at the time (well, much slower than now), so, that might be the reason to why those 2 orders are the same.
Though that order made me think that this is the order of difficulty for every level in the TTs except SS1 and Final Level (the 1st is the easiest):

Lab, Tower, SS2, Warp Zone

In 2.0., I finished the main game and got the 20 trinkets faster than in 1.2. (I didn't finish it in one day, though), so that might affect less than in 1.2.
However, I got a V rank on the Tower before I got an S rank on the Lab! I tried to get a S rank on SS2. After many attempts, I gave up, and then I got a S rank for the Warp Zone on the 1st attempt!
I actually got a Final Level S rank before I got S ranks for Lab, SS2, and Warp Zone, but that S rank is actually a hard A rank, since you have to get the trinket.
That makes me think to change the order to this:

Tower, Lab, Warp Zone, SS2.

Every level has changed its position! Like I said in my previous posts in this thread, I played the main game again, trying to get the smallest number of deaths possible, and the number of deaths in each level tell the same as I said above!

EDIT: Fixed some mistakes.