The Gravitron

Started by FIQ, February 19, 2012, 08:38:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FIQ

Screw that!  :P

The Gravitron is one part of the game which I found most fun (the others being The Tower, Space Station 2l, Super Gravitron (how suprising I like this when I liked the normal?!). Of course every part was fun, but these I liked the most.

Anyway, I'm trying to do a no death run. I can do it pretty well, two times I've ended up in Intermission 1 and died on "Don't be Afraid" (I realised after that how I could do it with 100% success). I guess I will die on Not as I do next time I run no death and ending up in int1...

Anyway, I'm also training at The Gravitron because I failed miserably there the first time I played (~50 deaths or something?), and to success No Death, I'll have to finish this. I can do it very well now, usually under 10 deaths. But there's one annoying part!

60-50 - No comment, just a plain show on how The Gravitron works (at least that was my feel on it the first time I played)
50-40 - This was VERY HARD for me the first time, and many times during my "training" on it - until I realised a way to make it much easier, by following the stream. By timing a "switch position" four times, and else just following with the squares, I can succeed this 9 times of 10.
40-30 - Same as 60-50, but this time from the other direction
30-20 - Here's my problem. For some reason, I *just can't do it*. If I die 6 times in The Gravitron, 5-6 of them is here. Ironically, I can do the harder version of this (in Super Gravitron) almost flawlessy (50% survival) in Super Gravitron
20-10 - A bit annoying at first, but you'll learn
10-0 - An interesting part - this part is harder if you've done better at the other parts (the squares come more often). A lot of deaths make this part very easy, when a complete survival (I did that *once* and died on 4.76, but ended up with 1 death total - my record at the moment) makes this part way harder.

Anyone else that had problems with 30-20? For you that don't know, 30-20s is when 1 square arrives on one side, and 1 another at the opposite side, in a "inverted" place. For example, 2 squares, 1 at topleft, 1 at bottomright. Etc.

/FIQ

EDIT: Just after posting this, I played it. 6 deaths. Guess what part they was in?

blue626

I concord, the 30-20 sec. part is the hardest. The last time I've tried the normal Gravitron (3 months ago):

60-50: 0 deaths
50-40: 1 death
40-30: 1 death
30-20: ≈15 deaths
20-10: ≈8 deaths
10-0: 2 deaths

This also the hardest part on the Super Gravitron, as I said on the "VVVVVV records" thread.
I don't urdestand what you said about the 10-0 sec. part. What does the amount of deaths on the other has to do with the amount of deaths in this one? ???

RobinLSL

30-20 is the only real hard part of the gravitron.

60-40 is trivial, 20-0 can be learned by heart, and 40-30's main difficulty is actually that it transitions pretty badly into 30-20...

FIQ

Quote from: blue626 on June 01, 2012, 06:37:39 PM
I concord, the 30-20 sec. part is the hardest. The last time I've tried the normal Gravitron (3 months ago):

60-50: 0 deaths
50-40: 1 death
40-30: 1 death
30-20: ≈15 deaths
20-10: ≈8 deaths
10-0: 2 deaths

This also the hardest part on the Super Gravitron, as I said on the "VVVVVV records" thread.
I don't urdestand what you said about the 10-0 sec. part. What does the amount of deaths on the other has to do with the amount of deaths in this one? ???
Try to die on purpose like 100 times until 10-0, and then re-run it doing your best, and you'll see what I mean.

blue626

I did it. Here's my best of those 2 runs, which I think is my best of all runs I did:

60-50s: 0 deaths
50-40s: 1 d (I died only after 15s, it's the 1st time I do that)
40-30s: 1 d
30-20s: ≈10 d
20-10s: ≈5 d
10-0s: 0 d

I noticed that in the time I did worst (on purpose), in the 10-0s part, the enemies came less often. I should have read your post better, FIQ  :vitellary::

Quote from: FIQ on February 19, 2012, 08:38:12 PM

10-0 - An interesting part - this part is harder if you've done better at the other parts (the squares come more often). A lot of deaths make this part very easy, when a complete survival (I did that *once* and died on 4.76, but ended up with 1 death total - my record at the moment) makes this part way harder.

Interesting part. The game must have a death counter only for the first 50 seconds of the Gravitron. It then calculates the time between each time the enemies appear.

Hilbert

Quote from: blue626 on July 03, 2012, 06:46:27 PM

Interesting part. The game must have a death counter only for the first 50 seconds of the Gravitron. It then calculates the time between each time the enemies appear.

Terry? :-S :-/

Terry

Quote from: RoskillaHULK!! on July 03, 2012, 11:28:03 PM
Quote from: blue626 on July 03, 2012, 06:46:27 PM

Terry? :-S :-/

Yep, this is true. The game has some very mild auto-difficulty correction. The idea is if you're dying here a lot, it gradually gets easier and easier until almost everyone can get by.

Hilbert

O__O
I haven't even made it to the grav. Yet! I use my pc for making levels. Got to try that...