Life Factory [fragment]

Started by FIQ, May 09, 2012, 06:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LucasK

i liked how you did the "Pulsing Hearts" (or something like that) room.

FIQ

Quote from: ToasterApocolypse on May 12, 2012, 09:09:47 PM
Ah yes, we did get a little Off Topic.

Anyways, great level so far. :viridian:

Only reason I said 'so far' is because I have yet to get past the 'Narrow Path' room.
Ok then, if you still struggle there, I'll have to re-do it.
(It's the last room, by the way).

ToasterApocalypse

Quote from: FIQ on May 13, 2012, 03:30:40 PM
Quote from: ToasterApocolypse on May 12, 2012, 09:09:47 PM
Ah yes, we did get a little Off Topic.

Anyways, great level so far. :viridian:

Only reason I said 'so far' is because I have yet to get past the 'Narrow Path' room.
Ok then, if you still struggle there, I'll have to re-do it.
(It's the last room, by the way).

Ah, wellin that case, good level!

And as LucasK said, the 'Pulsing Heart' room or whatever it was called was amazing.

FIQ

I've done a small modification of Narrow Path, keeping the same challenge, but making it easier. If people still struggle hard with the level, I'll have to redo it completly.

Thanks for the feedback, and hopefully I will be able to release a bigger part of it soon!

ToasterApocalypse

I saw some of the extensions that have not yet been released yet, like the intermissions.

How did you get the intermission tileset? Just asking.

LucasK

Maybe he used Direct Mode.
I really need to get the intermission tiles to complete my XXXXXX Level...
Spike Pit with a Prize was a cool idea, reminds me of Super Meat Boy.

ToasterApocalypse

@Lucas

I know how he got the tileset, but the color...

LucasK

And that's what i said, maybe he used Direct Mode. (i never played with that, so i don't really know what it does, but... :verdigris:)

FIQ

Quote from: ToasterApocolypse on May 14, 2012, 08:34:45 PM
@Lucas

Do you mean the background?
I analyzed the .vvvvvv file format. Just a simple XML file. I fiddled around with it. If you're feeling adventureous (and know what you're doing!), you can create a level with the Warp Zone Tileset, then dive into the file with a text editor that supports very long lines (the map storage is *ahem* not optimal for usual editors), set that room (rooms can be found at the bottom, just search for the roomname) to tilecol="6". Not available within the editor, but it works. Gray backgrounds, gray tiles (even works on 2.0 w/o direct mode), but NOT gray enemies/platforms. Be sure to create a backup before, however.

I think Magnus did something similar in his level A New Dimension (note the background right before the teleporters to the ending screens), so I guess it's safe.

ToasterApocalypse

Quote from: FIQ on May 14, 2012, 08:48:34 PM
Quote from: ToasterApocolypse on May 14, 2012, 08:34:45 PM
@Lucas

Do you mean the background?
I analyzed the .vvvvvv file format. Just a simple XML file. I fiddled around with it. If you're feeling adventureous (and know what you're doing!), you can create a level with the Warp Zone Tileset, then dive into the file with a text editor that supports very long lines (the map storage is *ahem* not optimal for usual editors), set that room (rooms can be found at the bottom, just search for the roomname) to tilecol="6". Not available within the editor, but it works. Gray backgrounds, gray tiles (even works on 2.0 w/o direct mode), but NOT gray enemies/platforms. Be sure to create a backup before, however.

I think Magnus did something similar in his level A New Dimension (note the background right before the teleporters to the ending screens), so I guess it's safe.

I don't really feel like screwing with a file I need to play the game, so I guess my intermission level is going to have blue backgrounds x3

LucasK

I'm really confused here.
ToasterApocolypse, you have the GRAY intermission tileset but not the BACKGROUND of intermission or what?  :victoria:

Arthur

I opened the level in the editor, and the default music surprised me: HOW COULD YOU USE THE DIALOG MUSIC?!

ToasterApocalypse

Quote from: Arthur on May 15, 2012, 09:02:11 AM
I opened the level in the editor, and the default music surprised me: HOW COULD YOU USE THE DIALOG MUSIC?!

I figured that one.

5a is cutscene music ID
7a is plenary.

I think there's another one, but I'm not sure.

EDIT: Found the other one. 9a is Positive Force reversed.

FIQ

Partially yes - "a" (or anything not a number) after a play() will result in VVVVVV picking a music track from its' internal list instead of the custom level list (which inserts a 0=path complete, 5=pause, 7=plenary, 9=positive force reversed, 15=predestined fate remixed, and other than that the normal list)

However, as the default music, just change manually in the .vvvvvv file to 5 - this one actually uses the internal list :P

ToasterApocalypse

Quote from: FIQ on May 15, 2012, 04:14:38 PM
Partially yes - "a" (or anything not a number) after a play() will result in VVVVVV picking a music track from its' internal list instead of the custom level list (which inserts a 0=path complete, 5=pause, 7=plenary, 9=positive force reversed, 15=predestined fate remixed, and other than that the normal list)

However, as the default music, just change manually in the .vvvvvv file to 5 - this one actually uses the internal list :P

Ah! I didn't know about 15 or 0a.

Anyway. I can't wait for the extensions when you're adding them. Just a tip. The trinket in 'Dimensional Tunnel' might be frustrating.