Dimension WWWWWW

Started by ToasterApocalypse, May 18, 2012, 11:49:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToasterApocalypse

WWWWWW is a small(ish) level following the basic concept of VVVVVV. The ship hit more rock in this new dimension, and the crew must evacuate in a cheap warp token because the level editor doesn't give us teleporters.  :-X In some places, the other warp tokens were re-routed into the polar dimension, forcing you to get out. How very traditional.  ::)

UPDATED! GET NEW VERSION!
SCREENSHOTS:

And credit to FIQ for the ship's alarm sound (Which I removed.)

oops i lost the download

FIQ

Quote from: ToasterApocolypse on May 18, 2012, 11:49:23 AM
Wow. I need better level names.  :D

Anyway, this Fragment of a level contains 3 levels and an overworld. (Like the demo of VVVVVV except slightly more.)
It's too easy fairly difficult and contains only 2 trinkets.

WARNINGS+SPOILERS
The lab level gets repetitive and boring.
The music breaks after you rescue  :victoria: the second time. Fixed by pressing 'M' twice.
This is my first level with direct mode tiling, so of course it's going to look sloppy.

It's my first level with an overworld, so there's going to be bugs. Feel free to report them.

And credit to FIQ for the ship's alarm sound.
I recommend against using it (you probably saw it in my bug list), but fine. :p

EDIT: The soundtrack bug also exists in 333333. Funny enough, it's also when you rescue Victoria.

I wonder what causes it?

ToasterApocalypse

Quote from: FIQ on May 18, 2012, 05:00:11 PM
Quote from: ToasterApocolypse on May 18, 2012, 11:49:23 AM
Wow. I need better level names.  :D

Anyway, this Fragment of a level contains 3 levels and an overworld. (Like the demo of VVVVVV except slightly more.)
It's too easy fairly difficult and contains only 2 trinkets.

WARNINGS+SPOILERS
The lab level gets repetitive and boring.
The music breaks after you rescue  :victoria: the second time. Fixed by pressing 'M' twice.
This is my first level with direct mode tiling, so of course it's going to look sloppy.

It's my first level with an overworld, so there's going to be bugs. Feel free to report them.

And credit to FIQ for the ship's alarm sound.
I recommend against using it (you probably saw it in my bug list), but fine. :p

Eh, that explains the previous line being played when (de)activating them. I had to edit the level and make  :vermillion: sound stupid to hide it  :-[

Eh, maybe I'll remove it.

FIQ

If you know what you're doing, you can work-around that, but as told, I recommend against using it.

EDIT: If you really want the alarm, and don't know how you can turn it off properly, you can do this to avoid dialogs being played. Still, I recommend against it as a patch will ruin it, and that's your problem:

say(-1)
text(1,0,0,4)
say(4)
alarmoff
endcutscene
untilbars
loadscript(stop)

at the end of the script.

FIQ

Interesting. I like levels like this.
Bugs:
1: In "More Inverse, More Space.", there is a black block right next to the platform with the C.
2: Rescuing Victoria, and rescuing Violet halts the sound. No idea why this happens, to be honest.
3: The entry to the laboratory is missing a music switch to Passion for exploring.

FIQ

Are you aware how you can make scripts execute only once?
I find that most (if not all) of your scripts execute everytime you visit an area instead of once.

Also, the music shutting off seems to be there for *every crewmate*. I don't know why, but yeah..

ToasterApocalypse

Quote from: FIQ on May 18, 2012, 07:04:14 PM
Are you aware how you can make scripts execute only once?
I find that most (if not all) of your scripts execute everytime you visit an area instead of once.

Also, the music shutting off seems to be there for *every crewmate*. I don't know why, but yeah..

I know it's something to do with ifflag, but I don't quite get it.

Also, I think it's something to do with the fact that there's no starting music, I just add the music using scripts.

Why do I feel like I'm not making any sense?  :verdigris:

EDIT: I fixed 2 of those bugs, (Still stumped at the music cancelling  :o) And I'll release it with 2 new levels (Warp zone and first intermission.)

SPOILERS FOR THE WARP ZONE:
3 rooms are ripped straight from VVVVVV, just a different color.
'Sticks And Stones' is a rip from 'Enjoy those repeats' from the final level.
'A-Maze-ing is a slightly edited version of 'Maze without an enterance'.
'Trouble-U is just 'This will make you flip'
I'm either going to delete those rooms or edit them a bit.

SPOILER FOR THE FIRST INTERMISSION
It's difficult  :D

FIQ

I downloaded the file again, it seems unchanged? No warp zone area, etc.

EDIT: Oh, I read your post as it was already posted. Nvm then.

ToasterApocalypse

Quote from: FIQ on May 18, 2012, 07:54:29 PM

The warp zone is going to be a while, as of the first intermission to be released with it. I'll release it anyway, as you will have already saved all of the crewmates so you won't get to the teleporter to the first intermission (Unless you're cruel enough to leave Vitellary behind.)

FIQ

Quote from: ToasterApocolypse on May 18, 2012, 08:00:53 PM

The warp zone is going to be a while, as of the first intermission to be released with it. I'll release it anyway, as you will have already saved all of the crewmates so you won't get to the teleporter to the first intermission (Unless you're cruel enough to leave Vitellary behind.)
No need!

ToasterApocalypse

Quote from: FIQ on May 18, 2012, 08:01:40 PM
Quote from: ToasterApocolypse on May 18, 2012, 08:00:53 PM

No need!

Ok then! Intermission has 3 out of the planned 10 rooms.

EDIT: If I knew how to add screenshots, I would post a screenshot of my favorite room in the warpzone.

DOUBLE EDIT: I released the Warp Zone and the Intermission.

Pyrite

Not nearly as hard as ABCDEFG, but looks promising. I feel like I haven't done a part of the map though, because I got to Violet and rescued her(?) to find that Verdigris wasn't in the map yet. I also find that the most difficult area of the map was Mazes are for Squares. It's almost impossible, I had to use invincibility, but the second enemy in that room was the only thing impassable.

ToasterApocalypse

Quote from: manofperson on May 19, 2012, 01:08:40 AM
Not nearly as hard as ABCDEFG, but looks promising. I feel like I haven't done a part of the map though, because I got to Violet and rescued her(?) to find that Verdigris wasn't in the map yet. I also find that the most difficult area of the map was Mazes are for Squares. It's almost impossible, I had to use invincibility, but the second enemy in that room was the only thing impassable.

It's possible to get past it without invincibility, but it's difficult as you need to time it perfectly. I'll remove that when I release the next set of levels.

ToasterApocalypse

Just tiny question.

How does one use 'Iftrinkets'?

FIQ

Nice.
Bugs:
1: In Warp Zone->Twists and Turns, the leftmost wall is one pixel off (the higher one is one pixel more wide than the bottom)
2: In Warp Zone->Trouble-U, the upper floor is a pixel off, the right is one pixel higher than the left
3: In Warp Zone->Giant Maze, at the bottom floor, you can go left and become stuck in the wall because the right has a block in the way.
4: In Intermission 1->The Polar Dimension Returns, the enemies is a bit glitchy
5: In Intermission 1->Angel Falls, flipping at the top, aside from being a shortcut, gets you stuck in the wall at the bottom. For some reason, the usual "getting stuck in the wall" action didn't happen, and Viridian just went through it as it was air. Weird, but... yeah, should be fixed anyway.

Also just a hint: one-way-walls glitch sometimes. Nothing bad happened the way you used it in the polar dimension, but just so you know.

Another hint: map(off) (the map is still logged however)

If you like, I can also fix the intermission background (just takes a few minutes of my time :p)