This is Portal - A PJBottomz Level

Started by PJBottomz, September 10, 2011, 08:32:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry

Hmm, I think I encountered a bug, not sure why it's only happening to me. The "top path" warp zone just warps me directly into a spike (I take it it's supposed to warp you on top of the disappearing platform)? I tried a few times and got the same result over and over, so eventually I just went back and got the cake ending instead.

I like a lot of things about this level - it's pretty, the difficulty is about right, and the scripting is funny and effective, when it works. My main criticism is that it just feels far too scripting heavy, especially with regards to "delay" commands, which really bring the pace of the level to a halt for me. There's too much scripting, and more than that I think a lot of what's there would be improved if it was shorter - Remember, unlike portal, story interrupts gameplay in VVVVVV. If the script was tightened up, I feel like this level would be improved a lot.

In any case, your levels are definitely improving, PJ :)

Damn It AL to Hell

I saw the screenshots nd I'm playing it now

WHOA! That level was incredible! (I took the bottom path first :victoria:) I could totally feel it! The difficulty was not to low, not too high, but just right, the room names were excellent, you did this very similarly to portal (I'm not complaining, I like this version better) Good job, it was better than the screenshots had shown! 11/10 :viridian: is the final score, I like the room where GlaDos
said all the things it did to Viridian's crew, a very tense story! Best one yet!

BillyTheBanana

Quote from: Terry on September 11, 2011, 04:53:04 PM
Hmm, I think I encountered a bug, not sure why it's only happening to me. The "top path" warp zone just warps me directly into a spike
I had the same issue. It happens because you're holding left to go into the warp token. Hopefully it can be easily fixed by adding a few platform tiles to block the player from running into the spikes.

Martze

Hmm, I think I encountered a bug, not sure why it's only happening to me. The "top path" warp zone just warps me directly into a spike (I take it it's supposed to warp you on top of the disappearing platform)? I tried a few times and got the same result over and over, so eventually I just went back and got the cake ending instead.

This was happening to me, too. I ended up avoiding it by moving right as soon as I touched the warp. It took many tries and was one of the most frustrating things in the level, to be sure. I thought it was intentional, but in retrospect, if it was, I'm not sure why one of the dialogues along the way kept repeating. And it didn't really seem like a fun, fair challenge.

PJBottomz

Quote from: BillyTheBanana on September 11, 2011, 05:27:44 PM
Hmm, I think I encountered a bug, not sure why it's only happening to me. The "top path" warp zone just warps me directly into a spike
I had the same issue. It happens because you're holding left to go into the warp token. Hopefully it can be easily fixed by adding a few platform tiles to block the player from running into the spikes.

That's not a bug - just gently walk into it. Maybe I'll lower the warp exit lower onto the platform.

Anyway Terry, thanks! I didn't think it was too much scripting, but of course, I worry more about what OTHERS think. There were a few, though, that I thought were pretty neat - in "React", if you die, when you respawn at the checkpoint in, "Leave Now" it triggers a script. I took me a while to program that. And the top path has two different scripts, depending on which you take first. Of course, that's MY opinion.

Quote from: Vex69 on September 11, 2011, 05:07:22 PM
I saw the screenshots nd I'm playing it now

WHOA! That level was incredible! (I took the bottom path first :victoria:) I could totally feel it! The difficulty was not to low, not too high, but just right, the room names were excellent, you did this very similarly to portal (I'm not complaining, I like this version better) Good job, it was better than the screenshots had shown! 11/10 :viridian: is the final score, I like the room where GlaDos
said all the things it did to Viridian's crew, a very tense story! Best one yet!

Thank you!

Quote from: calstin898 on September 11, 2011, 04:39:33 PM
Yay! I'm listed as a founder!

Great level, btw.

A tester. Terry is the founder. XD Anyway, thanks!

PJBottomz

Quote from: Martze on September 11, 2011, 07:03:08 PM

This was happening to me, too. I ended up avoiding it by moving right as soon as I touched the warp. It took many tries and was one of the most frustrating things in the level, to be sure. I thought it was intentional, but in retrospect, if it was, I'm not sure why one of the dialogues along the way kept repeating. And it didn't really seem like a fun, fair challenge.

I'm sorry about that. I'll fix it.

PJBottomz

UPDATE: The download is now TWO different versions - the regular one. and the scriptless version. I recommend playing the regular first, or it won't make any sense when you play the scriptless one. For those who have already played the regular one, the scriptless one is for less delay and more action.

Enjoy! (And like I said, please submit feedback so I can make this good.)

Terry

Quote from: PJBottomz on September 11, 2011, 08:31:02 PMthe scriptless one

Er, just removing the scripts completely seems like an overkill response to my criticism of the level...

PJBottomz

Well...  :'(

Jesus, I screwed my level up in both ways. I am a moron sometimes...

There are still some, like the terminal that hints how to beat the loop room, and the credits, and the one that removes the gravity lines in the last room.

Terry

I wasn't really suggesting that you go back and rework this entire level anyway; it's already pretty good! I just thought it might be useful for you to have some things to keep in mind in the future if you make any more VVVVVV levels!

(Sorry if it came across harsh; I'm probably a little too used to giving feedback to thick skinned developers who are looking for people to poke holes in what they've made)

xTwoTails

Quote from: Terry on September 11, 2011, 08:49:45 PM
I wasn't really suggesting that you go back and rework this entire level anyway; it's already pretty good! I just thought it might be useful for you to have some things to keep in mind in the future if you make any more VVVVVV levels!

(Sorry if it came across harsh; I'm probably a little too used to giving feedback to thick skinned developers who are looking for people to poke holes in what they've made)

Actually, it wasn't that harsh in my opinion.   :vitellary:
What I would suggest is Revise the scripts, make the delay between dialog less than what it is now.
Sometimes I would see the screen with no text for two seconds in most of the scripts, I think that's what he meant on his feedback.

PJBottomz

Quote from: xTwoTails on September 11, 2011, 08:54:04 PM
Quote from: Terry on September 11, 2011, 08:49:45 PM

Actually, it wasn't that harsh in my opinion.   :vitellary:
What I would suggest is Revise the scripts, make the delay between dialog less than what it is now.
Sometimes I would see the screen with no text for two seconds in most of the scripts, I think that's what he meant on his feedback.

Oh, it wasn't harsh - trust me, that wasn't anywhere near it. In 6th grade, I spent two weeks putting my heart into a social studies project and my teacher flat out said, "Well, that was a waste of time."

Even if it was, it wouldn't bother me - anger from others has no affect on me anyway.

Anyway, yes, in the future, I will use a LIMITED amount of scripts - in fact, there were a few I was considering remove. I'll say that from now own, I can only use under 30 flags.

Dispensers Heal

Fortunately, Terry hasn't limited how many Viridians can go after Trinkets!

:vermillion: :shiny:   :viridian: :viridian: :viridian: :viridian: :viridian: :viridian: :viridian: :viridian: :viridian: :viridian: :viridian: :viridian: :viridian: :viridian: :viridian: TRINKET!!!    :viridian: Uhhh....

Pinkamena Diane Pie

Fantastic level, you've got the Portal humour just right, although it seems that GLaDOS dislikes Viridian a lot more than she does Chell. There is a single script that keeps repeating itself on the top path if you die after going through the warp though, but that can be fixed easily enough.

The level is definitely good though, it looks aesthetically pleasing, the difficulty is just right and the flashes in Tilled were an interesting idea. Must agree with some people though, the delays between certain scripts were a little too long for my liking. The amount of script itself wasn't too much of a problem, just waiting between lines seemed a little exaggerated in a few places.

PJBottomz

Yeah, I heard - I'll try to make the scripting less delay-full next time I make a level! And that script SHOULD be fixed by now.

Thank you!