1 (3.1%)
butt
5 (15.6%)
sauce
21 (65.6%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Voting closes: July 23, 2037, 11:30:05 PM

avengah

No worries, take as long as you need. Yeah, that last one is simple; clear the flag in the same script that causes the flash. Then you're guaranteed to only get it once. Also, don't worry about using multiple flags to prevent speech repeating in that area - they're temporary flags because you're not going to be saving Vermilion in that corridor twice, I would assume; you can use those flags for other purposes later on, as long as you remember to reinitialise them if you need to.

EDIT: I've just been messing about in the editor. Remember how I said happy and sad commands affect NPC Viridian if he's in the room? You can force them to affect the player with the argument (player) or any unrecognised argument. I tried sad(ruby) and sad(poo) with all crew in the room, and I was affected. sad(cyan) and sad(viridian) affect the NPC, and sad(all) affects everyone. I know this is off-topic but I mentioned this above, so I thought I should confirm my test results.

ToasterApocalypse

Quote from: avengah on November 19, 2012, 06:47:54 PM
No worries, take as long as you need. Yeah, that last one is simple; clear the flag in the same script that causes the flash. Then you're guaranteed to only get it once. Also, don't worry about using multiple flags to prevent speech repeating in that area - they're temporary flags because you're not going to be saving Vermilion in that corridor twice, I would assume; you can use those flags for other purposes later on, as long as you remember to reinitialise them if you need to.

Thanks. I'm not going to leave Ch. 3 at the Gravicomplex (I still need to come up with a name for it), I might add another area.

EDIT: So far, I fixed Verdigris text repeating, but I still need to fix everything else. Chances, Vitellary's script repeats too.

ToasterApocalypse

Quote from: avengah on November 19, 2012, 05:46:35 PM
The PD passageway terminal that's supposed to warp you to the PD doesn't work. I get cutscene bars and a noise, then it stops with the bars active. Although I'm testing it in the editor, so maybe that's because a flag isn't set or something, but just in case I'd better let you know.

Probably, I tested it after completing the Warp Zone + Enterprise and it worked as I wanted. It warped me to the PD.

ToasterApocalypse

Updated!

Check the first post for the new file.

avengah

I've not got very far yet, but minor thing so far: Abandoned Facility entrance. You know how normally the cutscene bars appear and disappear when you enter the area with the four tokens? Well, if you go there after completing the first area, the cutscene bars don't go away.

In You Cannot SurVVVV or whatever it's called, the way back from the terminal is almost impossible without dying. Forcing the player to die is considered bad. I know it's possible, but it's pixel-perfect and barely possible - probably relying on the enemies being in a particular frame of animation too.

Apparently, I lost Vermilion's signal, but did I ever have it? Don't forget it's the first time you speak to him, in the room oAo (can't be arsed with accents).

I like what you've done with Vermilion walking into the warps, but some of the text STILL repeats... EVEN after he goes into the warp. Try going back after he leaves and you'll see what I mean. The Escape and Low Roof have repeating text. The bottom part of Warp has repeating text too.

Tip: Group flags. For example, use flags 1-19 for global flags that affect the whole game, use 20-29 for one section, 30-39 for another section etc. and if the section cannot be revisited then you can reuse those flags for something else later. Just an example but it'll help you remember approximately which flags are for what. In addition to that text file I suggested.

In the playing-as-Red section, in the room with the terminal and Vertigo the other side of the wall, Vertigo starts in mid-air and falls slightly each time you enter the room. Minor, but worth mentioning I suppose.

ToasterApocalypse

Quote from: avengah on November 20, 2012, 06:33:33 PM
I've not got very far yet, but minor thing so far: Abandoned Facility entrance. You know how normally the cutscene bars appear and disappear when you enter the area with the four tokens? Well, if you go there after completing the first area, the cutscene bars don't go away.

In You Cannot SurVVVV or whatever it's called, the way back from the terminal is almost impossible without dying. Forcing the player to die is considered bad. I know it's possible, but it's pixel-perfect and barely possible - probably relying on the enemies being in a particular frame of animation too.

Apparently, I lost Vermilion's signal, but did I ever have it? Don't forget it's the first time you speak to him, in the room oAo (can't be arsed with accents).

TO DO:
Replace 'customifflag' scripts with 'ifflag'
remove script
make that room easier.

avengah

Looking good so far; I'm liking the fact there's not as many cutscene bar interruptions. Top left corner of Abandoned Facility Entrance is missing a block... oh, did you get the last paragraph or two of my previous post?

I meant to mention this before but I forgot. Something about abusing the warpline "glith"?

Finally I decided to try going through the Polar Passageway for a second time. You get stuck. Good job I saved outside the Abandoned Facility. Firstly, cutscene bars don't disappear and secondly you get stuck in the area with the terminal that warps you to the Polar Dimension. You can't get back because of the Mark III terminal etc.

Text in Not The End repeats. "Isn't this where I rescued Vermilion?" As does Smooth Sailing text, but I don't think that really matters.

That's the end of my test run for now. Thanks again, keep up the great work!

ToasterApocalypse

Quote from: avengah on November 20, 2012, 08:23:30 PM
Looking good so far; I'm liking the fact there's not as many cutscene bar interruptions. Top left corner of Abandoned Facility Entrance is missing a block... oh, did you get the last paragraph or two of my previous post?

I meant to mention this before but I forgot. Something about abusing the warpline "glith"?

Finally I decided to try going through the Polar Passageway for a second time. You get stuck. Good job I saved outside the Abandoned Facility. Firstly, cutscene bars don't disappear and secondly you get stuck in the area with the terminal that warps you to the Polar Dimension. You can't get back because of the Mark III terminal etc.

Text in Not The End repeats. "Isn't this where I rescued Vermilion?" As does Smooth Sailing text, but I don't think that really matters.

That's the end of my test run for now. Thanks again, keep up the great work!

1. Yeah. I'm not very good at the correct createcrewman co-ordinates (explains  :vitellary: and  :verdigris: starting slightly in midair for their scenes in the first two areas, don't know how I got  :viridian: (in ch.2) and  :victoria: (in ch.1 ending) perfect, but yeah.

2. It works fine for me, I start at the Warp Zone, I complete everything, and it warps me to the PD.

3. I thought that was a minor thing, because after you go through 'Volcanic Wave' it's hard, if not impossible, to backtrack.

avengah

About 2, I mean if you attempt to do it TWICE in a row. As in, you go to the Polar Dimension, then, for the hell of it, you decide to go through the Polar Passageway AGAIN. That's when the terminal fails to work. Maybe make it so that the Polar Passageway locks permanently once you've completed the Polar Dimension? (And not until. You don't want it to lock prematurely.)

About 3, you can get the text to repeat without going through Volcanic Wave. Just go back and forth between the screens before going through that part.

ToasterApocalypse

Quote from: avengah on November 20, 2012, 09:20:41 PM
About 2, I mean if you attempt to do it TWICE in a row. As in, you go to the Polar Dimension, then, for the hell of it, you decide to go through the Polar Passageway AGAIN. That's when the terminal fails to work. Maybe make it so that the Polar Passageway locks permanently once you've completed the Polar Dimension? (And not until. You don't want it to lock prematurely.)

About 3, you can get the text to repeat without going through Volcanic Wave. Just go back and forth between the screens before going through that part.

I need to set a few more flags.
I'm not locking the Polar Passage itself, just the Polar Dimension. I have a feeling either:
-The flag isn't set
-The script is unfinished

I'll have a look at it.

EDIT: I think it was because the wrong flag was set.
EDIT AGAIN: It was. It was activating flag 63, it should have activated 76. Fixed, and now to fix repeating text.

Hot damn, I never realised I had so many scripts. This is, BY FAR, my largest VVVVVV level.

Almost as large as C10/333333 maybe?

FIQ

Quote from: ToasterApocalypse on November 20, 2012, 09:28:08 PM
Quote from: avengah on November 20, 2012, 09:20:41 PM

I need to set a few more flags.
I'm not locking the Polar Passage itself, just the Polar Dimension. I have a feeling either:
-The flag isn't set
-The script is unfinished

I'll have a look at it.

EDIT: I think it was because the wrong flag was set.
EDIT AGAIN: It was. It was activating flag 63, it should have activated 76. Fixed, and now to fix repeating text.

Hot damn, I never realised I had so many scripts. This is, BY FAR, my largest VVVVVV level.

Almost as large as C10/333333 maybe?
I believe my level is the biggest in terms of script amount, because of VVVVVV's very limited variable system and me wanting to have integers in some places leading to 16 scripts pretty much the same (like tele0000, tele0001, tele0010, ... all the way to tele1111, and other scripts like this)

avengah

It's still v2.8 in the menu, but don't worry about that until the next update.

If you use the terminal in DIY III Repair then press R, you go back to the grey screen. Set checkpoint position? Again, it's minor though so leave it till the next update. And that top left block's still absent from Abandoned Facility entrance. I know how that happened! It's when you removed the script, isn't it. It also removed the block that was there.

Flushex

Finished playing through 2.9 with 11 trinkets. All the problems I was having before with warp tokens not disappearing was because I was running 2.0. When I restarted once I got 2.1, everything was fine.

I definitely loved the map. I thought the boss fight was so inventive and fun. I liked it so much that I could actually stand for it to be a little tougher (I died upwards of 50 or 60 times for many rooms that I enjoyed, and I made it through the boss fight without dying at all). That's hardly an issue, I just wouldn't have minded being forced to do multiple attempts. Also, honorable mention to Platform Peril as that was one of my favorite rooms.

I guess I benefited bug-wise by starting out on 2.9, because I barely found anything except the most minor of wall glitches that were hardly even noticeable (as in an occasional single tile wall glitch that made the player do the weird floaty thing for like a millisecond). They didn't even bother me. I'm just being meticulous.

The difficulty was very fair while at the same time challenging enough to never be boring. The only thing I can think of was in Catastrophic Catacombs, I found myself wishing there was a checkpoint here:

...but that was extremely minor and just personal preference.

I also have to say that I've never really played VVVVVV for story, as I play it mainly for some oldschool-style, fastpaced action, but I found myself caring about what would happen next. The ending was also very excellent.

It was nice and long, which was great. I probably spent a little longer on it than I would playing through the regular game, which is crazy to think about considering it isn't even finished. Can't wait for the rest!

ToasterApocalypse

Quote from: Flushex on November 21, 2012, 09:25:59 PM
Finished playing through 2.9 with 11 trinkets. All the problems I was having before with warp tokens not disappearing was because I was running 2.0. When I restarted once I got 2.1, everything was fine.

I definitely loved the map. I thought the boss fight was so inventive and fun. I liked it so much that I could actually stand for it to be a little tougher (I died upwards of 50 or 60 times for many rooms that I enjoyed, and I made it through the boss fight without dying at all). That's hardly an issue, I just wouldn't have minded being forced to do multiple attempts. Also, honorable mention to Platform Peril as that was one of my favorite rooms.

I guess I benefited bug-wise by starting out on 2.9, because I barely found anything except the most minor of wall glitches that were hardly even noticeable (as in an occasional single tile wall glitch that made the player do the weird floaty thing for like a millisecond). They didn't even bother me. I'm just being meticulous.

The difficulty was very fair while at the same time challenging enough to never be boring. The only thing I can think of was in Catastrophic Catacombs, I found myself wishing there was a checkpoint here:

...but that was extremely minor and just personal preference.

I also have to say that I've never really played VVVVVV for story, as I play it mainly for some oldschool-style, fastpaced action, but I found myself caring about what would happen next. The ending was also very excellent.

It was nice and long, which was great. I probably spent a little longer on it than I would playing through the regular game, which is crazy to think about considering it isn't even finished. Can't wait for the rest!

Thanks for all the positive stuff, means a lot from the guy who made the (in)famous Jaunt. And, about it being unfinished...

Chapter 3 is pretty darn big (almost Chapter 1 big) so look forward to that.

Flushex

Quote from: ToasterApocalypse on November 21, 2012, 10:16:59 PM

Thanks for all the positive stuff, means a lot from the guy who made the (in)famous Jaunt. And, about it being unfinished...

Chapter 3 is pretty darn big (almost Chapter 1 big) so look forward to that.

Lol, I was under the assumption only two or three people even played the Jaunt. After seeing how awesome some of the levels offered on these forums were, that definitely didn't surprise me.

And that's good to hear about chapter 3 being long. Not to rush you or anything but do you have an ETA for it?