The Tower Revisited! (Scrapping it)

Started by Shuhasu, July 30, 2011, 06:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shuhasu

I think i'm just going to scrap this project, I haven't worked on it in months  :victoria:

Thanks to the positive comments I've received with Under Wraps, I decided to start working on a new level, simply called "The Tower Revisited!"

Still a Work of Progress, but I'm curious of any ideas the community could help me with, because I'm now starting to get a little bit of Writer's Block  :victoria:
Also really not trying to make it similar to my previous one.

edit: Beta Released! One crew mate and three trinkets so far...  :viridian:

Update: Beta 0.2

-"Step it up" I moved the gravity lines out thinner, (4 blocks instead of 3) Now makes it less dumb luck and more skill
-"Spikes... I hate Spikes" Added a checkpoint, but I don't think jumps need to be perfect, but indeed skilled. if there are more problems, I'll remove some spikes
-"Warp Fields Stabilized" (totally not a reference to Starcraft) Added more room to make that jump and added a checkpoint
-"Dead End?" Removed the check points due to they were being pointless

TheoX

So is it going to be based on the original "The Tower" from VVVVVV?  I wonder if a scrolling script will eventually happen...

And what kinds of ideas are you looking for?  Room names or room ideas?  Cause I'm good at thinking of room names, less original room ideas (saving those for my own level anyway).

Shuhasu

Quote from: TheoX on July 30, 2011, 06:38:54 PM
So is it going to be based on the original "The Tower" from VVVVVV?  I wonder if a scrolling script will eventually happen...

And what kinds of ideas are you looking for?  Room names or room ideas?  Cause I'm good at thinking of room names, less original room ideas (saving those for my own level anyway).
well if we did have the scrolling script (which I'm guessing is hard coded in.) I would do that, but now I'm just making more vertical level sets. In fact I'm going to add a beta download link. Only one crew mate and 3 trinkets so far, but its a start. Need to figure out how to get the crew mates to speak and not the gray text.

Terry

I'm hoping to add proper tower levels in a future patch :)

Shuhasu

Quote from: Terry on July 30, 2011, 07:28:52 PM
I'm hoping to add proper tower levels in a future patch :)
Awesome!  :viridian: I might have to just put this on hold till then =D

TheoX

I might download this and try what you have so far in a little bit, right now I'm working on a level 'cause I got some inspiration. :)

Quote from: Kurosen on July 30, 2011, 07:18:26 PMNeed to figure out how to get the crew mates to speak and not the gray text.
I'm not sure if you can do that.  I think the only speaking commands are say() and reply(), but maybe there are others... reply2, say2.. I don't know what they would be!

IAmSerge

Hey everybody!

Just got a question, though...

I understand that you have vertical scrolling that is hoping to be implemented...

...Just wondering, if perhaps horizontal scrolling might be another idea to go for? I understand it wasn't in the original, however, but it could add some extra interesting stuffs.

As well as this... I wish to know about if it were possible to have a tower like level, where the level wraps around the world then overlaps before you reach the exit (As far as the map is concerned at least).

Or am I mistaken?

Ah well...

Shuhasu

Quote from: IAmSerge on July 30, 2011, 08:18:56 PM

As well as this... I wish to know about if it were possible to have a tower like level, where the level wraps around the world then overlaps before you reach the exit (As far as the map is concerned at least).

Or am I mistaken?

Like how the tower level was in the original game?

Quote from: TheoX on July 30, 2011, 08:16:57 PM
I'm not sure if you can do that.  I think the only speaking commands are say() and reply(), but maybe there are others... reply2, say2.. I don't know what they would be!

Ive seen it done in the b0unc3 level (I was mistaken), and the numbers show that many number of lines under the command in text
say(2)
this command
shows 2 lines
reply(3)
and this
command shows
3 lines!

TheoX

Yeah, but the text for the other crewmates still appeared gray and not their own color.  That's what I was curious about.

Anyway this is really cool so far.  It's a bit hard though.  I'll split into pros and cons:

Pros:

- The trinkets are nicely challenging without being annoying (actually easy compared to certain rooms listed in cons).

- Dialogue and room names are funny.  I like "This Room is Mocking Me"; is that a reference to SoulEye's level?  That's probably going to become a local meme...

- Exciting theme!

Cons  (room-specific):

- "Step it up" - It's very hard to dodge the first set of enemies (in the vertical grav lines).  Checkpoint after or better spacing would be nice.

- "Spikes... I hate Spikes" - needs a checkpoint.  It's disconcerting to start in the other room with the weird warps.  Also, I feel like you need to be really perfect for the jumps...

- "Warp Fields Stabilized" - That 3-tall gap is impossible to jump into, and I just hit the angled spikes every time.  Presuming it's possible, put a checkpoint there, or add another block to the left of the gap to jump to.  I would try more but it's annoying and I have to get some sleep soon.

Shuhasu

Yeah one thing I always have difficulty with is balancing difficulty  :victoria:

But I fixed those con rooms, a little bit. truthfully I'm not sure yet if I should scrap this project or not yet :P

-"Step it up" I moved the gravity lines out thinner, (4 blocks instead of 3) Now makes it less dumb luck and more skill
-"Spikes... I hate Spikes" Added a checkpoint, but I don't think jumps need to be perfect, but indeed skilled. if there are more problems, I'll remove some spikes
-"Warp Fields Stabilized" (totally not a reference to Starcraft) Added more room to make that jump and added a checkpoint
-"Dead End?" Removed the check points due to they were being pointless

And the Upload link is updated