What not to put in your VVVVVV Level

Started by VeeC7, August 22, 2015, 09:44:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce Michez

175. An extremely difficult challenge (such as a Veni Vidi Vici) that doesn't even reward the player upon completing it.

Echogamer

Broken internal scripting that causes your game to crash

Echogamer

Random floating stuff that doesn't go right! (Ex. Floating spike)

Bruce Michez

178. A room that is impossible to pass with invincibility active.  This usually happens because spikes become solid in this mode.

fraZ0R

Quote from: Bruce Michez on December 12, 2018, 02:26:12 AM
178. A room that is impossible to pass with invincibility active.  This usually happens because spikes become solid in this mode.
looks at 333333 sheepishly

Bruce Michez

Quote from: (This author name breaks the forum) on December 14, 2018, 02:38:14 PM
Quote from: Bruce Michez on December 12, 2018, 02:26:12 AM
looks at 333333 sheepishly
There's also a lot of such rooms in Pixelator's recent The Cuest.  That level is so barbarically difficult that invincibility is almost required to experience the (actually quite interesting) story.

fraZ0R

179:
Createentity being used to create super fast enemies, which will probably kill you as soon as you activate the script, without warning, causing you to have to redo the section all over again from the last checkpoint.

seallife1

180 - using the exact same gimmick over and over again, in many different rooms. seriously, this makes me die

Ally 🌠

pixelator

seallife1

mayo pigeon

Ally 🌠

heyoo i forgot to link this here so im doing it now
Putting these in your VVVVVV level is fine, actually
its a post that responds to a lot of these and says that some are fine to do actually

SHARKIE

181. making a dware post why some of these are actually right
182. broken gravity lines (2 gravity lines in the same spot) (can be used right in some cases)
183. swearing in a level (seriously, dont you think 3-year olds cant steal their moms phone and look at VVVVVV and dware?)
184. 10x10-20x20 levels where only 5 of them are actually levels
185. the entire level being an overworld
186. the entire level having only a few blocks (can be done right)
187. rooms with only spikes (can be done right as well)
188. loud music
189. invisible graphics
190. glitched graphics
191. custom minimap with an offset
192. minimap with text (can be done right)
193. trying to make it so viridian doesnt die when she touches enemies

Balneor

Quote from: theamazingwaffle on January 31, 2023, 07:04:32 PM181. making a dware post why some of these are actually right
Well that's technically off topic

Quote from: theamazingwaffle on January 31, 2023, 07:04:32 PM182. broken gravity lines (2 gravity lines in the same spot) (can be used right in some cases)
You said it yourself that it can be used right.
It's not really broken, and it can be used for troll levels and I think even more.

Quote from: theamazingwaffle on January 31, 2023, 07:04:32 PM183. swearing in a level (seriously, dont you think 3-year olds cant steal their moms phone and look at VVVVVV and dware?)
V6 is a old game enough that I don't think most kids will learn about. If you find out about V6, then you're more likely at least older than a teenager, with knowledge and of these swear words.
I don't think the V6 building scene is also full of swearing levels, so even if a child were to play them, they probably wouldn't be disturbed. Even then, I'm not sure it's our direct concern. Why is the child here to begin with if it's assumed they shouldn't consume that content.
And finally, swear words can be made for plenty of purposes, such as designing characters. For comedic effect or troll levels.
If you really hate swear words, then you should definitely not play Atmosfear.

Quote from: theamazingwaffle on January 31, 2023, 07:04:32 PM184. 10x10-20x20 levels where only 5 of them are actually levels
I'm not sure what this means. What means "levels" ? Levels that fill every room with something ?
Level that actually play like levels ? But what's your definition of that ?
Anyways, there are billions of fully 10x10 and 20x20 levels out there.
And even then, it's handy to have bigger bounds, in the sense that it's easier to build levels with since you have more space to work with.

Quote from: theamazingwaffle on January 31, 2023, 07:04:32 PM185. the entire level being an overworld
I'm sure there is some very cool stuff you could make with that. Even if you make a overworld devoid of any challenge.
Now if you mean a completely empty and bland overworld, a point can be made. But it all depends on the maker's design. If it's made intentional, then it's for a reason, so it's definitely justified to add in your level because of that reason. The same logic can be applied to every single points of this thread (that are on-topic).

Quote from: theamazingwaffle on January 31, 2023, 07:04:32 PM186. the entire level having only a few blocks (can be done right)
So like three blocks in one room and that's it ? Seems like a troll level done right.

Quote from: theamazingwaffle on January 31, 2023, 07:04:32 PM187. rooms with only spikes (can be done right as well)
Similar thing, it may not look be pretty but it can be used in troll content. Also if you have different textures, maybe it won't even look bad !

Quote from: theamazingwaffle on January 31, 2023, 07:04:32 PM188. loud music
Mostly for troll content I think.
I've actually never seen a level have loud music.

Quote from: theamazingwaffle on January 31, 2023, 07:04:32 PM189. invisible graphics
Can be used for troll, but also to design actual gameplay segments (if you do it properly !)

Quote from: theamazingwaffle on January 31, 2023, 07:04:32 PM190. glitched graphics
Not sure what this means. Like, intentionally corrupted looking graphics ?
Since I used the word intentional, thne it means that there was a reason to have it that way in the level, it's justified.
There are a bunch of levels (mostly made by one dude I think) who uses direct mode and a lot of blocks to create corrupted looking rooms. And it's nice.

Quote from: theamazingwaffle on January 31, 2023, 07:04:32 PM191. custom minimap with an offset
I have never seen a custom minimap have an offset personally. This would seem like a really hard minimap mistake to make. But even then, one could do so intentionally.

Quote from: theamazingwaffle on January 31, 2023, 07:04:32 PM192. minimap with text (can be done right)
What are you talking about ? This would be so cool !

Quote from: theamazingwaffle on January 31, 2023, 07:04:32 PM193. trying to make it so viridian doesnt die when she touches enemies
Well, you don't die when you have invincible mode.
I will thoroughly disagree, because there is a way to have enemies switch between harmless and deadly states. And who knows what sort of gameplay you can have with these.
And if it's just inoffensive all of the time (which I've also never seen before), again, it would depend on what you do with them. Troll, story, even gameplay.
I think it would be cool.