Finished Level! 100% Original, featuring mushrooms and pipes. [w/ edits]

Started by TheDevilTesla, August 24, 2011, 02:31:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheDevilTesla

There is a law somewhere that whenever a game comes out with a level maker someone has to try to remake Super Mario Bros. This is my crack at it, and I like it. I leaned towards making the level fun rather that faithful, and I included a lot of neat secrets that work within the theme. Here is a dropbox link to the game file!

Edit: Now redone to be less stupid! List of changes in my post below.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1440384/copyrightinfringement%20%282%29.vvvvvv

ElementCoder

Actually I too am making a Super Mario Bros. remake, but other than yours, I'm trying to keep level desing as close to the original as possbile. Progress is rather slow though, only 1-1 is finished at this time  :viridian:
I'll download it and try it

My topic: http://distractionware.com/forum/index.php?topic=415.msg3140#msg3140
Check it out if you want

The Brass

Serious glitch alert: hugging the left wall in "down here" will crash the game. And the inversion plane in "I added spikes" leaks.

The Shinobi

It seems impossible to get past "I added spikes" because I keep going through the gravity line into the levels above.

TheoX

Rating #043
Enjoyment: 5.5/10
Aesthetics: 6/10
Novelty: 5/10
Difficulty: 7/10
Room Names: 8/10

Aah... did you play this before you uploaded it?  It's got more holes than swiss cheese.  The level looks fine and isn't terribly hard, but it definitely needs some major tweaking.  I'll start off with the good stuff first:

--------
Rooms I liked:

"Unsquishable" - nice name, and very solid layout.  Feels very Mario.

"1up" - I like the design of this one for some reason.  Unique looking, for sure.

"Stupid Sexy Trinket" - haha, is this a Simpsons reference or a more obscure Yume Nikki reference?  Either way it cracked me up.

"Moon Door" - I liked the rooms below this.  Nice simplistic challenge.

"HE COMES" - Zalgo?

"Just Pretend I'm a Girl" - This... is hilarious.

--------
Rooms that need improvement:

"NO GOING LEFT!!" - Grrr, unavoidable death upon entering room.  Please don't do that, no matter how funny the room name is.

"Down Here" - if you go down the wall to the left, you enter the wall in some other room...

"I added spikes!" - if you hit the warp line in most places toward the right, you go through it into space, or walls in another room.  This is almost unavoidable; I really don't get how you didn't see this.  Move the line down one space and it should be fixed.

"End Level" - Same issue as above, easy to slip through if you squish between the wall and the top of the screen.

"Flushing Noise" (?) - The player is more inclined to enter the lower passage, therefore missing the trinket to the right.  Consider redesigning this area.

"Catch it" - First, the platform is way too small upon entering this room.  Second, the rooms below are unavoidable death traps, and have no room names.  Third, I figured the top way led to a trinket because it seemed more secretive, but it was actually rightward that led to a trinket, and I had to navigate backward once I saw "Stupid Sexy Trinket".  Definitely consider redesigning this whole area.

"Stupid Sexy Trinket" - Jumping up [in the top section] is an unavoidable death trap... why didn't you just make a ceiling?  Same with the rooms to the left and right.

"Warp Zone" (?) - How is the player supposed to know which one to take?  I missed at least 3 trinkets in this level, and I explored everywhere so I assume they were in the other warps (I took the rightmost one).  Redesign recommended; let the player come back here maybe?

"You Want This Trinket?" - Death trinket = a no no.  Also, the rooms directly above and below this are subject to RAE (Room Alignment Error) from the sky area too.

The whole sky area is pretty much a nightmare too, so I'm not going to point out specific screens.  There's RAE's everywhere, and unavoidable death traps involving spikes in weird places.  You need to play through this level multiple times yourself and go through it with a fine tooth comb, it's really rough right now.

Sendy

Quite fun, but Theox pretty much nailed it.

What struck me as particularly perverse (and not in a good way :D ) was that where most people would put a wall of spikes at the edge of a room, so that they're clearly visible as a barrier, you've got the spikes just on the other side beyond the room edge, so that (a) you can't see them until you're literally on top of them and (b) you end up with weird rooms full of nothing but wall and some spikes at the bottom/edge.

TheDevilTesla

Thank you for the feedback! I must say, I did play through the level a jillion times, but you know, I designed it, so stuff that seems alright to me might actually be a problem! So yea, here is a do over of the level:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1440384/copyrightinfringement2.vvvvvv

I edited the original post too!

What I changed:
NO GOING LEFT!! Now isn't an instant death room. The joke still comes across without instadeath.

Down Here no longer gliches, thanks for catching that.

Moved the warp line down in I added spikes. I was never able to reproduce that bug, but hopefully this will stop that from being a problem.

Catch it is less stupid.

Fewer spikes in Glichy Bugface. I wanted the feel of walking on the title text, but I can get that while also letting people go back and get Stupid Sexy Trinket.

Changed You Want This Trinket? entirely. It was always possible to get it without dying, but it always kind of bugged me that you were able to just kill yourself to get it. Now it is entirely different!

I added warps back to the Warp Zone near where those warps toss you out. Every warp in Warp Zone did eventually take you to the same place, with no trinkets impossible to get because you chose the wrong warp. Still, this way the player can see that and not have to worry about it :p.

The sky levels are also now less stupid. I wanted it to look like there weren't walls boxing you in, but now it's obvious where the spikes are.

One thing that didn't change:

A few screens that used exspectations from playing the original Mario games to send players away from where trinkets were stay in, because that is kinda the point of the level! This includes the roof of catch it, because everyone knows about that trick and of course everyone was going to try it :p.

TheoX

Nice!  You fixed a ton of the stuff that was wrong.  My revised rating:

Enjoyment: 7/10
Aesthetics: 6/10
Novelty: 5/10
Difficulty: 6/10
Room Names: 8/10

There's still a few RAE's so I'll attach pictures of where they are.  Spots where you can drift into walls.

EDIT:  You get a "Fixed-it-up" Trinket  :viridian: :shiny:

Chillius

I Know i am bumping but this is really important!

It happened in the room Down Here!

ToasterApocalypse

Quote from: Chillius03 on March 28, 2013, 03:11:14 PM
I Know i am bumping but this is really important!

It happened in the room Down Here!

GOD DAMMIT CHILLIUS YOU BROKE REALITY

Chillius

Bearboy

Fussmatte

Chillius.
This was, like, a 2-year bump.

Stop. Or Terry will ban you.

Chillius