This glitch will blow your mind!

Started by Dav999, August 25, 2012, 09:19:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dav999

Invincibility: "Can cause glitches."

Yes it can. And what kind of glitches! OMG? :o

How to reproduce:

• Turn on invincibility mode
  • Rescue your last crewmate to go to the final level. If you already completed the game, start a new game and rescue all crewmates (your secret lab/super gravitron score/unlocked things/time trials/et cetera will not get deleted if you start a new game)
  • Play the final level, and stop before the last trinket (so stop in V)
  • Make the leftmost platform disappear
  • Stand on the spikes where that platform was
  • Go to the left, and flip immediately when you enter the room W
  • If you've done it correctly, you will slide through the wall and you will end up in Tunnel of Terror (below the Gravitron), with the last rescued crewmate standing there
  • Go to the teleporter, you will teleport to the ship
  • Explore the very badly glitched dimension! :o
  • If you quit to the main menu, everything will be normal again.

FIQ

I found a similar bug (that end up with the same thing) some months ago:

1: Same
2: Same
3: Play the final level until The Final Challenge.
4: At the rightmost pit with spikes, you'll go "behind" the upper part of The Final Challenge
5: Walk left ~2 Viridian lengths
6: Flip. Stay in the same area.
7: When you see Viridian above the spikes (you'll see his feet), flip to the ceiling again.
8: Walk right a pixel or two, and flip again. Continue walk right *all the time* outside The Final Challenge
9: You end up at the same place. Continue like Dav999 said.

The colors displayed is dependent on the last "color switch" you did in The Final Level.

blue626

Wow, I think this is the glitch that affects most ever found in VVVVVV!
Every type of tile changes to another type of tile! I wonder if it's related to the fact that the tileset is changed after the dimension stabilizer turns off.
I think :viridian: goes to the room "Tunnel of terror" because the 5 rooms of Int. 2 are above the room "W" (which is at the left of the VVVVVV column). Terry said that before and now is written on the VVVVVV Wiki. Shouldn't :viridian: pass through the room "House of Mirrors" before he gets in the room "Tunnel of Terror", though?
What is realted to invincibility?
I think that the reason to why it only happens with invincibility is that invincibility turns spikes into walls (according to Terry) and that if there's only one tile of distance between a wall and a scrren edge, a collision error happens (:viridian: slides through the wall upwards and flipped, though he/she flips back when the top of the wall is reached). Perhaps this is fixed by turning the spikes into nothing?

Anyway, Terry has recommended various times to players to not use invincibility, so why did he create it? To help beginner players?

A new reply, huh? This warning appears after previews too.
Anyway, FIQ answered my 1st question, I knew it was related to the tileset switch!

Dav999

Quote from: blue626 on August 25, 2012, 10:03:33 PM
Wow, I think this is the glitch that affects most ever found in VVVVVV!
Every type of tile changes to another type of tile! I wonder if it's related to the fact that the tileset is changed after the dimension stabilizer turns off.
I think :viridian: goes to the room "Tunnel of terror" because the 5 rooms of Int. 2 are above the room "W" (which is at the left of the VVVVVV column). Terry said that before and now is written on the VVVVVV Wiki. Shouldn't :viridian: pass through the room "House of Mirrors" before he gets in the room "Tunnel of Terror", though?

Yes, you first go through House of Mirrors.

I think that the reason to why it only happens with invincibility is that invincibility turns spikes into walls (according to Terry) and that if there's only one tile of distance between a wall and a scrren edge, a collision error happens (:viridian: slides through the wall upwards and flipped, though he/she flips back when the top of the wall is reached).

It's obvious it happens only in invincibility mode, because if it is off, you just die if you attempt to do this.

Perhaps this is fixed by turning the spikes into nothing?

Strange enough, scrolling levels like The Tower don't have solid spikes!

Anyway, Terry has recommended various times to players to not use invincibility, so why did he create it? To help beginner players?

Why not? It can be very useful for level creators, for frustrated people, for people who want to have a new game mode (speedrun with invincibility on) or people who love game glitches :vermillion: Just like the unlock menu, it can be useful to avoid frustration if the save data becomes corrupted and you lose everything, then you can still unlock things you worked hard for to get.

Dav999

The tower works normally, only Teleporter Divot, Seeing Red and Building Apport have no walls :vitellary:

Dav999

Quote from: FIQ on August 25, 2012, 09:40:43 PM

4: At the rightmost pit with spikes, you'll go "behind" the upper part of The Final Challenge
7: When you see Viridian above the spikes (you'll see his feet), flip to the ceiling again.
8: Walk right a pixel or two, and flip again. Continue walk right *all the time* outside The Final Challenge

I tried that several times, but I always end up in Outer Space.

FIQ

Quote from: Dav999 on August 26, 2012, 10:11:47 AM

You are *supposed* to end up there. Continue right and don't let go! Also make sure you fall DOWN. :p

EDIT: Also, when using this glitch in the 3DS room, the topmost room (Whee Sports) is renamed "Copyright Infrigment". Maybe an AP-check that triggers by mistake, but there're no other things happening so.. :p

Dav999

Quote from: FIQ on August 26, 2012, 10:51:14 AM

You are *supposed* to end up there. Continue right and don't let go! Also make sure you fall DOWN. :p

I always fall up, and I couldn't get :viridian: to fall down. Maybe I should try it again and again?

EDIT: Also, when using this glitch in the 3DS room, the topmost room (Whee Sports) is renamed "Copyright Infrigment". Maybe an AP-check that triggers by mistake, but there're no other things happening so.. :p

I heard that room was renamed because Nintendo didn't accept the game because of that room name. They thought it looked too much like 'Wii Sports'! ::)

If you are in the room Tunnel of Terror, try to end up between the gravity lines of the Gravitron. I even messed up :viridian:'s hitbox by doing that, and I can activate checkpoints, teleporters and terminals by just standing on the same height as the checkpoint/teleporter/terminal so if you enter a room from the left with a checkpoint at the right side of the room you activate it! Also, in :violet:'s room in the ship, you activate all terminals at once, and you can't leave that room anymore! Sometimes :viridian: refuses to go to the room on the left, and you can even stand on moving platforms if you're not, and be moving up and down in mid-air! Also, you can go through 1 pixel gaps in walls instead of 2 pixel gaps, because you're only one pixel wide instead of two! ???

blue626

Quote from: Dav999 on August 25, 2012, 10:27:15 PM
I think that the reason to why it only happens with invincibility is that invincibility turns spikes into walls (according to Terry) and that if there's only one tile of distance between a wall and a scrren edge, a collision error happens (:viridian: slides through the wall upwards and flipped, though he/she flips back when the top of the wall is reached).

It's obvious it happens only in invincibility mode, because if it is off, you just die if you attempt to do this.

If spikes weren't solid like in The Tower, it wouldn't happen, unless there isn't space between the spike and the screen edge.

Quote from: Dav999 on August 25, 2012, 10:27:15 PM

Why not? It can be very useful for level creators, for frustrated people, for people who want to have a new game mode (speedrun with invincibility on) or people who love game glitches :vermillion: Just like the unlock menu, it can be useful to avoid frustration if the save data becomes corrupted and you lose everything, then you can still unlock things you worked hard for to get.

For level creators there are 3 options:

• Check how hard the level is at the same time you check the scripts.
  • Create a checkpoint next to the script and erase it later.
  • Use slowdown mode (I believe it doesn't make glitches, if it does, then don't do this).
I recommend the 1st one. If you really don't want to do that, do the 2nd one. If you really don't want to do that, do the 3rd one.
For frustrated people there's slowdown mode, but I believe it's better to play fairly in "normal" mode and handle dying thousands of times.
Speedrun with invincibility? ... That might be a good reason for using it, but I'm not interested.
Why would anyone create a game mode only for people that like finding glitches?
Also, this is the first game If ind with an option like this since the beginning. I've seen games with a similar option, but only appears after dying a few times per stage, and it only appears in that stage. Perhaps that doesn't make much difference because players would only use it after dying lots of times.
The unlock menu would be helpful if you lose your save data or find a glitch like having 20 trinkets and not having unlocked the Final Level Time Trial. Otherwise, it would be cheating. I actually cheated accidentally while exploring that menu by unlocking No Death Mode. I actually tried it a  few times, but only satrted trying it frequently after getting 4 S ranks.

Quote from: Dav999 on August 26, 2012, 10:03:13 AM
The tower works normally, only Teleporter Divot, Seeing Red and Building Apport have no walls :vitellary:

They probably turned into invisible walls. I think that those are available in Direct Mode. But, why did the spikes turn into those too?

How can you get there by falling down? Also, perhaps there's a way to get to Int.1. by faling down from there. You would stay in Int.1., because the rooms wrap vertically.

What's the relation between that and the glitch? What's an AP-check?

Also, perhaps this bug has been reported, as I remember seeing weird screenshots related to an invincibility glitch. I'll post a link later.

A new reply! I expected that, since I saw, in the "Who's Online" list, that Dav999 was quoting a post in this thread.

Quote from: Dav999 on August 26, 2012, 11:56:33 AM
If you are in the room Tunnel of Terror, try to end up between the gravity lines of the Gravitron. I even messed up :viridian:'s hitbox by doing that, and I can activate checkpoints, teleporters and terminals by just standing on the same height as the checkpoint/teleporter/terminal so if you enter a room from the left with a checkpoint at the right side of the room you activate it! Also, in :violet:'s room in the ship, you activate all terminals at once, and you can't leave that room anymore! Sometimes :viridian: refuses to go to the room on the left, and you can even stand on moving platforms if you're not, and be moving up and down in mid-air! Also, you can go through 1 pixel gaps in walls instead of 2 pixel gaps, because you're only one pixel wide instead of two! ???

Those glitches have been seen before in the 3DS version and reported. That person even made videos of them!
Also, if you escape the Gravitron with slowdown mode, you can go through the hole in "Whee Sports" (or "Copyright Infringement"), ending up ina a room called "Outer space" that warps in all sides. I saw this in that person's videos. It was also seen before in v.1.2 and reported. Tha makes me think that :viridian:'s hit box (I suppose that's the shape that if it touches spikes, :viridian: dies) is changed to make the Gravitron easier (I'm not the 1st one that thought about this). EDIT: I don't know why it activates all the terminals/Cps with the same y coordinate as :viridian: at the same time, though. END EDIT.

Quote from: Dav999 on August 26, 2012, 11:56:33 AM

I heard that room was renamed because Nintendo didn't accept the game because of that room name. They thought it looked too much like 'Wii Sports'! ::)

Maybe they though that it was a reference to Wii Sports. It probably had to be changed even if it wasn't, though, because it was similar to "Wii Sports". However, they created an original room name!

Dav999

Now I know how to do it FIQ's way. It's just a bit different:

• At the rightmost pit with spikes, you'll go "behind" the upper part of The Final Challenge
  • Go right (not too far) and flip
  • Go right until you can't go any further
  • Flip again, and go a bit to the right.
  • Try to flip, and hold right when you are flipped (you should try to flip several times, and stop when you hear the flip sound

ToasterApocalypse

Consider my mind blown.

:vermillion:'s room is normal, apart from the fact that it's coloured cyan.

Dav999

Quote from: ToasterApocolypse on August 26, 2012, 10:14:58 PM
Consider my mind blown.

Try to do it again, most likely, the colors will be different! It's different every time, because it depends on the last color switch, like FIQ said. Also, some rooms look like they have normal colors, especially if you've never played the game before:

ToasterApocalypse

Quote from: Dav999 on August 26, 2012, 10:33:47 PM
Consider my mind blown.

Try to do it again, most likely, the colors will be different! It's different every time, because it depends on the last color switch, like FIQ said. Also, some rooms look like they have normal colors, especially if you've never played the game before:

Those plain green-black tiles

Are they an unused colour in the Space Station tileset?

FIQ

Quote from: ToasterApocolypse on August 27, 2012, 12:05:33 AM
Quote from: Dav999 on August 26, 2012, 10:33:47 PM
Consider my mind blown.

Those plain green-black tiles

Are they an unused colour in the Space Station tileset?
Yes. Accessible by tilecol="-1", tilecol="-2" or tilecol="-3" in space station tileset @ level editor.

Dav999

Isn't it available in direct mode? I never thought it would be an unused color.