Author Topic: My 1st level: The Jaunt.  (Read 13281 times)

Flushex

• Professor
    • View Profile
Re: My level: The Jaunt. Tough but fair.
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2012, 07:23:40 pm »
Oh wow, I just went and rechecked conveying frustration and that second checkpoint is not supposed to be there. I put it in for testing purposes temporarily last night and forgot to take it out :-[. Sorry I'll fix that.

This is what the room should (and always has before last night) look like. I'm mad at myself for forgetting to take that out. In any case, it's fixed now.

I hope that doesn't stop you from playing my level.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 07:36:22 pm by Flushex »

FIQ

• Captain
  • https://github.com/FredrIQ/
    • View Profile
    • FIQ
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2012, 07:33:00 pm »
Conveying Frustration renders you stuck if you take the second checkpoint and die.

Really? That has never happened to me, and I've played through the map several times (and died many times). Could this be because I'm using 2.0?
I used 2.1, but it seems to also happen in 2.0 (just tried).

Flushex

• Professor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2012, 07:34:57 pm »
Conveying Frustration renders you stuck if you take the second checkpoint and die.

Really? That has never happened to me, and I've played through the map several times (and died many times). Could this be because I'm using 2.0?

Yes did you see my post where I realized my stupid error? Also, did you have the same problem that Dav was running into?

Dav999

• Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • View Profile
    • The Open Level Project
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2012, 07:43:58 pm »
Uhm... Have you tested 'Flippity Floppity Flu' and 'Timeliness'? The first 5 times I tried to enter 'Timeliness', I just kept getting stuck! :victoria:

Yes, I have.  :victoria: Sorry, that shouldn't be happening. I just went and rechecked it and it works fine for me. Stuck how?

I would get stuck in a wall and die because of a spike.

Flushex

• Professor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2012, 07:59:35 pm »
Uhm... Have you tested 'Flippity Floppity Flu' and 'Timeliness'? The first 5 times I tried to enter 'Timeliness', I just kept getting stuck! :victoria:

Yes, I have.  :victoria: Sorry, that shouldn't be happening. I just went and rechecked it and it works fine for me. Stuck how?

I would get stuck in a wall and die because of a spike.

Well I made an adjustment which should hopefully fix what might have been the problem. I also fixed something else a little later on that FIQ noticed, if you want to redownload and give it another chance.

FIQ

• Captain
  • https://github.com/FredrIQ/
    • View Profile
    • FIQ
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2012, 11:19:35 pm »

Yes did you see my post where I realized my stupid error? Also, did you have the same problem that Dav was running into?
Yeah, it's a wall issue. I usually report them when I'm done with a level but I forgot it as that checkpoint made it impossible to clear the level.

Flushex

• Professor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2012, 11:25:06 pm »
Well I fixed them both (I think) if you are still interested in playing it.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 11:49:52 pm by Flushex »

SomniRespiratory Flux

• Doctor
  • Outside the soundness of your mind...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2012, 09:47:29 pm »
Been playing more of the level... At the end of Guardians at the Gate, the warp token's target destination is off. I assume it is meant to put me on top of the checkpoint in Trial by Fire, but it put me in the wall next to it, which glitched me into the final room before killing me. The checkpoint activated, so it still "worked", but I think you might want to check where the destination is.

EDIT: After looking at it again, I think I see what happened. The spawn point from the warp token is almost on the checkpoint, but goes into the ceiling.  :viridian: still touched the checkpoint, activating it, but started to glitch through the ceiling and hit spikes immediately after reaching the next screen. Figured I'd clarify now that I've seen both rooms a bit more closely.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 01:55:12 pm by SomniRespiratory Flux »

Flushex

• Professor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2012, 10:00:03 pm »
Been playing more of the level... At the end of Guardians at the Gate, the warp token's target destination is off. I assume it is meant to put me on top of the checkpoint in Trial by Fire, but it put me in the wall next to it, which glitched me into the final room before killing me. The checkpoint activated, so it still "worked", but I think you might want to check where the destination is.

EDIT: After looking at it again, I think I see what happened. The spawn point from the warp token is almost on the checkpoint, but goes into the ceiling.  :viridian: still touched the checkpoint, activating it, but started to glitch through the ceiling and hit spikes immediately after reaching the next screen. Figured I'd clarify now that I've seen both rooms a bit more closely.

Yes I have recently completely fixed that part with my newest version.

Glad someone has played all the way through my level!  :viridian: Did you like it? criticisms? feedback? advice on changes?

Again, thanks for playing!

SomniRespiratory Flux

• Doctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2012, 04:18:01 am »
I can't quite say I've finished it, as I haven't saved Victor yet. I'm in the last room though, so I've seen all of the level. I only got the first trinket you can get, and know how to get the second. The third I didn't quite figure out. But as for what I thought about the level:
As far as visuals go, there are still some odd room transitions, such as from Basejumping to Starry Night. Even though there's no reason to try to go back, it looks weird that you can do so where there was a wall in the first room. The single walls only really look bad because the wall doesn't "close" on both sides, and this is only really evident when there is no reason for them to be single tiles or, in some cases, present at all. The version I played had a single-tile high overhang over the entrance to Wait for it that really served no purpose in the room, and could easily be removed or made thicker. There are other spots like that, but that's the most glaring. However, if a single-tile wall or floor/ceiling is used in a way that changing it would affect the whole room, such as in areas of spikes, it can be harder to notice. I think the lab tileset does have a single-wide wall tile that closes the wall on both sides, but it's only accessible in 2.1 with Direct Mode. Since you've said you have 2.0, that really doesn't matter much, but it could remove the issue entirely in the last third of the level or so.
The only other problem I have visually is the solution to Guardians at the Gate. The room was honestly one of my favorites in the level, but the enemies getting stuck in the walls seems a bit odd. I can't imagine the concept working otherwise, though, so it's kind of a moot point.
But visual issues, while present, don't detract too much from the level design in terms of playability. This is a good thing, as the level does a good job of being playable. The difficulty is significantly higher than in the original game, but it rarely felt cheap or unreasonable in its difficulty. The checkpoints were well-spaced between challenges, and only once did it feel like there was unneeded space between a checkpoint and the next challenge, and that was again with Guardians at the Gate (the warp from the previous room after every death got kind of repetitive). A few rooms had solutions that I found clever, or at least fun to play. The level might not be as polished as the official game is, but custom levels rarely are, and for one person designing the level and two or three others testing it out now, it shows some good work. I enjoyed the level, and look forward to seeing more in the future!  :viridian:

Flushex

• Professor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2012, 06:33:51 am »
Wow, I love this feedback! I also have a response to everything you've said, haha. Please read through them Somni as I value your thoughts.
--------
In my latest update (a day or so ago), I have fixed the transition from Basejumping to Starry night by adding an extra wall on the far left side of starry night to make things "cleaner". I noticed this issue myself on my ~7th play through.
--------
As for the overhang on Wait for it, I added that spontaneously towards the end (I know exactly what you are talking about, and it didn't exist at all in the original version), because I found that without it, the player could sort of just "run through" the warp lines, which could completely detract from the obstacle (the first obstacle of that particular room). I understand it might be a bit awkward (it was definitely an after thought). Should i maybe add spikes to the overhang? That would make it more of a barrier to stay away from if nothing else.
--------
I love your thoughts on Guardians at Gate, because it too, was my favorite "challenge" of the map, while simultaneously being the room I was most worried about, exactly for the reasons you mentioned. The challenge necessitates the enemies getting stuck in the wall, because otherwise it would be impossible (and I had no particular way of recreating the same style challenge without the enemies getting stuck, as you mentioned). I do realize however that it is more or less taking advantage of a wall glitch (I think), which I know people frown upon.
--------
I am glad you found it challenging but reasonable, as that is what I was aiming for. As to the issue of having to warp into guardians at the Gate, that was necessary space between checkpoints. If I had placed the checkpoint in GatG, then enemies would get past the disappearing bars, and screw up the whole room. Basically, it required a fresh start after every death, which could only be accomplished by putting the checkpoint in the previous room (believe me, I would have loved to put a checkpoint in GatG if it had been pragmatic).
--------

You playing through this map and giving me thoughtful feedback is great. That is exactly what I wanted, and my highest priority was playability, which I am glad you appreciated. I am more than willing to polish it up even more, and please rescue Victor, since he's clearly gone insane.

Thanks again!

Edit: Oh, and the third trinket is doable, and arguably the easiest of the three skill-wise. It is just a matter of figuring out how to get it.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 07:28:28 am by Flushex »

SomniRespiratory Flux

• Doctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2012, 06:06:31 pm »
No problem! Yeah, most of the issues are understandable, very minor, or both. I understand what you mean about the wall in Wait for it, and even wondered if that might have been the case. If it not being there would break the room, then I can see why you put it in, but I still wonder if it would still have worked if it was a little thicker. And I see what you mean entirely about Guardians at the Gate. I suppose I was focusing too much on the extra couple seconds that the warp made me use rather than the fact that only the platforms would reset if the restart was in the same room. It was only a minor issue anyway, and I really wasn't thinking about the warp in that respect. Thanks for pointing those things out. Glad that you appreciated the feedback, and yes, Victor clearly needs some assistance and a therapist after this...  :o I wasn't saying the third trinket was difficult. I just hadn't found the way to it yet. Perhaps I should have taken the path to the right when it branched off?

And you can call me Flux. It should be easier to remember, and it sounds cooler.  :D

Rioshoa

• Crewmate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2012, 11:57:44 pm »
Think I'm gonna give this a video attempt, hope you don't mind and enjoy the gameplay and opinions as they happen.

Flushex

• Professor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2012, 11:52:49 pm »
No problem! Yeah, most of the issues are understandable, very minor, or both. I understand what you mean about the wall in Wait for it, and even wondered if that might have been the case. If it not being there would break the room, then I can see why you put it in, but I still wonder if it would still have worked if it was a little thicker. And I see what you mean entirely about Guardians at the Gate. I suppose I was focusing too much on the extra couple seconds that the warp made me use rather than the fact that only the platforms would reset if the restart was in the same room. It was only a minor issue anyway, and I really wasn't thinking about the warp in that respect. Thanks for pointing those things out. Glad that you appreciated the feedback, and yes, Victor clearly needs some assistance and a therapist after this...  :o I wasn't saying the third trinket was difficult. I just hadn't found the way to it yet. Perhaps I should have taken the path to the right when it branched off?

And you can call me Flux. It should be easier to remember, and it sounds cooler.  :D

Haha, will do. And I'll just put the solution to trinket three in white text here if you want to know. In starry night, you have to land on the platform that has the warp token without hitting the warp token, so you can flip up and back into The Facility. It's tough , but definitely doable

Think I'm gonna give this a video attempt, hope you don't mind and enjoy the gameplay and opinions as they happen.

Of course I don't mind! This is great news. I'd love to watch someone play the map!

SomniRespiratory Flux

• Doctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2012, 11:58:48 pm »
Huh. I honestly didn't think to do that. Makes some sense. It took me long enough to reach the warp, and I guess I never considered the wrapping to work only going down, even though it happens a lot. The level is quite nice, all things considered. I did get Victor out of there, as well. I'm sure he appreciates it.