Author Topic: My Last Level: Dimension Funland (V 1.2)  (Read 14929 times)

Pyrite

• Captain
  • New name who dis
    • View Profile
    • http://you.ar/a/nidi/ot.shtml
Re: My Last Level: Dimension Funland (V 1.1)
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2012, 03:26:20 pm »
Are you sure Space Mountains is possible? ???
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 04:55:22 pm by manofperson »

Flushex

• Professor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2012, 09:45:52 pm »
Are you sure Space Mountains is possible? ???

Yes, just do a running flip into it until you get the timing right.

Nicholas

• Professor
  • is addicted to making levels
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2012, 03:16:59 am »
Very fun one. I REALLY love Save Room for Dessert and Typhoon Twister for some reasons. There's something in them that encourage to go on.
Magnet-0...whatever is weird because I did it without knowing what I'm after dodging the first enemy in each parts.
I'm currently You Must Be This Tall to Enter. I know how to do it but the timing is so tight...

Flushex

• Professor
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2012, 04:53:46 am »
Very fun one. I REALLY love Save Room for Dessert and Typhoon Twister for some reasons. There's something in them that encourage to go on.
Magnet-0...whatever is weird because I did it without knowing what I'm after dodging the first enemy in each parts.
I'm currently You Must Be This Tall to Enter. I know how to do it but the timing is so tight...

Glad you're enjoying it! You're not the first person to mention YMBTTTE being a little on the tricky side. I really need to do something about that room. Does the second checkpoint help at all? I'm thinking I might just have a few less enemies in the room. The last thing I want is for people to get hung up on that room and then give up on the level.

Nicholas

• Professor
  • is addicted to making levels
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2012, 05:33:57 am »
Glad you're enjoying it! You're not the first person to mention YMBTTTE being a little on the tricky side. I really need to do something about that room. Does the second checkpoint help at all? I'm thinking I might just have a few less enemies in the room. The last thing I want is for people to get hung up on that room and then give up on the level.
It'll be really hard to place another checkpoint there, because you have to go back and do the "unlocking" again after dying anyway.
Maybe just change the enemies placement/amount. I enjoy the "unlocking" part too  :viridian:

Flushex

• Professor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2012, 08:42:10 pm »
It'll be really hard to place another checkpoint there, because you have to go back and do the "unlocking" again after dying anyway.
Maybe just change the enemies placement/amount. I enjoy the "unlocking" part too  :viridian:

Are you playing the beta version? In the newest update there is a checkpoint in the middle of the room, as well as increased enemy bounds to make it slightly easier overall.

blue626

• Captain
  • I changed my avatar!
    • View Profile
Re: My Last Level: Dimension Funland (V 1.2)
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2012, 05:16:52 pm »
I think I put the easy version (v.1.1.) in the VVVVVV folder, but the level seemed hard. I'll redownload the easy version (v.1.2) and then play it again to check if I played the hard version or not.
Space Mountains seemed hard, but I only tried 10 times.
Jittery Joes seemed medium-difficulty. I noticed that you can stand on the floor in the 1st column below the enemies, but just by 1 or 2 pixels (that probably happens to the other columns too). Was that made on purpose? Put spikes there if it wasn't.
In the terminal in the room below, the terminal says there's a secret passage in the previous room, when it's actually in the next room. Going backwards to the previous room is impossible (since you already touched the CP when you read that, well, at least I did), so that wouldn't make sense. What does that have to do with suicide? Or is there really a secret passage in Jiterry Joes that I didn't noticed, and then you put the CP in the next room?
The next room was hard. I couldn't get past the 2 coulms of enemies neither with just 2 bounces nor 4. Many bounces eventually cause you to die between the 2 columns (when both are going towards you).
I repeat, I'm not sure if I accidentally played the hard version. Perhaps write if it's easy or not in the description (or did you already do that? I didn't check).

SomniRespiratory Flux

• Doctor
  • Outside the soundness of your mind...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2012, 06:17:21 pm »
The terminal is correct.There is a secret passage in Jittery Joes, and it's pretty much impossible to tell where by sight. Once you know it's there, though, it's fairly obvious where to look. There wasn't a checkpoint in the next room in the original level. The checkpoint must have been added in the easy version. Perhaps the wording on the terminal should be fixed if there is no way back in the level now.

Flushex

• Professor
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2012, 06:29:33 pm »
The terminal is correct.There is a secret passage in Jittery Joes, and it's pretty much impossible to tell where by sight. Once you know it's there, though, it's fairly obvious where to look. There wasn't a checkpoint in the next room in the original level. The checkpoint must have been added in the easy version. Perhaps the wording on the terminal should be fixed if there is no way back in the level now.

You must be playing an older version. That was a testing checkpoint that was never supposed to be in there that I removed a couple of versions ago I believe. Your save will still work if you replace your level with the newest version.

SomniRespiratory Flux

• Doctor
  • Outside the soundness of your mind...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2012, 07:04:53 pm »
I'll assume that that post was directed at blue626. He said he was playing v1.1 of the easy version when he found it. I'll go ahead and say that was the issue.

Flushex

• Professor
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2012, 07:30:05 pm »
I'll assume that that post was directed at blue626. He said he was playing v1.1 of the easy version when he found it. I'll go ahead and say that was the issue.

I'm actually an idiot and I entirely missed Blue's post and only read yours, so I'll comment on his now.

I think I put the easy version (v.1.1.) in the VVVVVV folder, but the level seemed hard. I'll redownload the easy version (v.1.2) and then play it again to check if I played the hard version or not.
Space Mountains seemed hard, but I only tried 10 times.
Jittery Joes seemed medium-difficulty. I noticed that you can stand on the floor in the 1st column below the enemies, but just by 1 or 2 pixels (that probably happens to the other columns too). Was that made on purpose? Put spikes there if it wasn't.
In the terminal in the room below, the terminal says there's a secret passage in the previous room, when it's actually in the next room. Going backwards to the previous room is impossible (since you already touched the CP when you read that, well, at least I did), so that wouldn't make sense. What does that have to do with suicide? Or is there really a secret passage in Jiterry Joes that I didn't noticed, and then you put the CP in the next room?
The next room was hard. I couldn't get past the 2 coulms of enemies neither with just 2 bounces nor 4. Many bounces eventually cause you to die between the 2 columns (when both are going towards you).
I repeat, I'm not sure if I accidentally played the hard version. Perhaps write if it's easy or not in the description (or did you already do that? I didn't check).

The room that you mentioned being hard two rooms after Jittery Joes is just about knowing what to do. It's hard to describe but you can't speed around the two columns rushing to the right. You will have to do a backtrack once you are in between them and then move forward from there and the timing should be fine for getting around them. In any case, that room is nerfed in 1.2, so hopefully you'll find it easier. That stupid testing checkpoint I forgot to take out (in 1.1) in the room after Jittery Joes isn't supposed to be there. That is fixed now, meaning you're optional suicide will actually matter. As for Jittery Joes itself, the miniscule amount of space you are able to stand on the first column doesn't help you in anyway, nor does it really hinder you. I could put a spike there, but cosmetically it would make the room look less nice, and I don't really see the purpose of it since being able to stand in that space is more-or-less irrelevant to the obstacle.

Edit: I had never really thought of Space Mountains as a room that needed nerfing, but I guess I should consider doing it. If you do a running flip into it, eventually you'll figure out the timing without dying too many times.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 07:33:24 pm by Flushex »

blue626

• Captain
  • I changed my avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2012, 07:31:54 pm »
I played part of the level (v.1.2., the normal easier version).
Went to the right path (B, I think) first. I found the trinket next to Jittery Joes and the next trinket (the one I already got in the other version). I like the hidden passages.
Apparently, either you made the room 2 rooms after Jittery Joes (I don't remember many room names...) easier or I downloaded the hard version before. The columns were shorter than before. I already thought about that technique, but I still couldn't do it. It was easy now.
In the room with lots of one-way-up tiles (or anti-flip tiles), I think that the trinket is easy compared to the 1st challenge. I got the trinket in my 1st try, and I could very easily get it in 3 attempts. Perhaps you should make it harder. You can also make the 1st challenge easier, I died ≈20 times there (although that doesn't make it hard, just slightly hard).
Alien Encounter was my favorite room and at the same time the hardest room. I died ≈75 times in that room. I liked it, it seemed like a boss stage with all the quicksand blocks, and it had the difficulty of a boss. It wasn't the 1st time someone made something like a boss with quicksand blocks, though. It wasn't frustrating and there's a technique that is... original? Once every quicksand block disappeared and I got to the top, I reached the CP (checkpoint) without deaths.
...Rescued one of the crewmates.
Only ≈15 deaths in Space Mountain, but it seems that you need luck to pass that room. Also, you're supposed to flip from the bottom, right? Then, put the 2nd checkpoint at the top so that you don't die at the next room.
In the room above, there are floating spikes which are bad level design as they don't look good like that, even if there's baking below them. It's not that bad, but put spikes that are pointing down below them (with Direct Mode). ≈20 deaths in that room.
The next room was one of the easiest in the level. Only 1 death, IIRC, but I was already used to the room below it.
The room "Leave room for dessert" was original and hard at the same time. ≈40 deaths in it. I suggest a closer CP, but for that you 'll need to link it to the room below to the left and put the CP there.
I died ≈50 times in Typhoon Twister. I was originally trying to get the trinket, and most of the deaths was before I reached the top right corner for the 2nd time, so the room itself is hard. I din't get the trinket.
Quick-saved at the room above (I din't try it yet). ≈450 deaths total during 50 minutes. I'd say this level is slightly hard in average. The visual design is original and great! When I complete this I'm going to give a rating (saying how good is the difficulty, visual design, etc.). I don't do that for a long time...
Anyway, this is very good, so far!

Flushex

• Professor
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2012, 09:39:54 pm »
I played part of the level (v.1.2., the normal easier version).
Went to the right path (B, I think) first. I found the trinket next to Jittery Joes and the next trinket (the one I already got in the other version). I like the hidden passages.
Apparently, either you made the room 2 rooms after Jittery Joes (I don't remember many room names...) easier or I downloaded the hard version before. The columns were shorter than before. I already thought about that technique, but I still couldn't do it. It was easy now.
In the room with lots of one-way-up tiles (or anti-flip tiles), I think that the trinket is easy compared to the 1st challenge. I got the trinket in my 1st try, and I could very easily get it in 3 attempts. Perhaps you should make it harder. You can also make the 1st challenge easier, I died ≈20 times there (although that doesn't make it hard, just slightly hard).
Alien Encounter was my favorite room and at the same time the hardest room. I died ≈75 times in that room. I liked it, it seemed like a boss stage with all the quicksand blocks, and it had the difficulty of a boss. It wasn't the 1st time someone made something like a boss with quicksand blocks, though. It wasn't frustrating and there's a technique that is... original? Once every quicksand block disappeared and I got to the top, I reached the CP (checkpoint) without deaths.
...Rescued one of the crewmates.
Only ≈15 deaths in Space Mountain, but it seems that you need luck to pass that room. Also, you're supposed to flip from the bottom, right? Then, put the 2nd checkpoint at the top so that you don't die at the next room.
In the room above, there are floating spikes which are bad level design as they don't look good like that, even if there's baking below them. It's not that bad, but put spikes that are pointing down below them (with Direct Mode). ≈20 deaths in that room.
The next room was one of the easiest in the level. Only 1 death, IIRC, but I was already used to the room below it.
The room "Leave room for dessert" was original and hard at the same time. ≈40 deaths in it. I suggest a closer CP, but for that you 'll need to link it to the room below to the left and put the CP there.
I died ≈50 times in Typhoon Twister. I was originally trying to get the trinket, and most of the deaths was before I reached the top right corner for the 2nd time, so the room itself is hard. I din't get the trinket.
Quick-saved at the room above (I din't try it yet). ≈450 deaths total during 50 minutes. I'd say this level is slightly hard in average. The visual design is original and great! When I complete this I'm going to give a rating (saying how good is the difficulty, visual design, etc.). I don't do that for a long time...
Anyway, this is very good, so far!

Sorry for the late response.

Alien Encounter is also my favorite room. Fun fact about that room: It is the only room in the entire map that is completely identical in both the hard version and the regular. The reason being because I could not bring myself to change it. I simply liked it too much. Every time I open the editor, I play through it. I never die on it anymore (Pro tip: It's actually easier if you work your way from left to right as opposed to right to left.).

As for Standing In Line (the room with all the one-way-up tiles), the hard version has enemies guarding that trinket, and it is much harder. I took them out once the complaints about difficulty were really flooding in. IMO I'd rather just let people get the easy trinket (maybe a nice change of pace?).

In Space Mountains, I actually find it easier to flip from the top (I considered actually moving the room's first checkpoint up there to let people know), in which case when you land, you land right next to the second CP (I see your point though, and will probably change it for the next update).

In Leave Room For Dessert, you hit the nail on the head as to why the CP has to be kind of far away. I would have to change around a lot to get it closer, and I'm not sure exactly how I'd do it anyway. I'm open to suggestions. As to it's difficulty, you say you died ~40 times? VVVVVV is kind of unique in the sense that not only do you have infinite lives, but you respawn instantly, so to ME 40 deaths really doesn't sound like that much (especially since it's right after the easiest room of the level), but I can understand why some people wouldn't like that.

Thanks so much for continuing to play! I was worried people were giving up on it. You have most of the hard rooms behind you, so keep it up! Also please keep bringing in the comprehensive feedback and advice. That's what I want to see.

blue626

• Captain
  • I changed my avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2013, 08:37:34 pm »
Sorry for the late reply, but I finished this level some days ago. The rooms ahead had medium-difficulty... about 15 deaths per room, I think. I didn't check the stats, but I think I collected... 2 trinkets? Well, at least 2, and I didn't collect any of those in the last room before I rescue :verdigris:. I suspect I died ≈500 times and the time taken was about an hour.

Rating:

Originality: 10/10 :vitellary:
Difficulty Balance: Note: You get a high rating for having medium difficulty and a low score for being too hard/easy. 7/10 :verdigris:
Story/Roomnames: 7/10 :viridian:
Visual Design: 10/10 :vitellary:
Glitch Amount: 10/10 (No glitches!) :vitellary:
Level structure: 6/10 :verdigris:
Total rating: 17 :shiny: /20
Currently my 4th favorite level.

I thought that 40 deaths in a room was enough to consider it hard... 40 deaths seems too much for a medium-difficulty room, but that's my opinion.
It might depend on the player's experience: on the 1st time I played VVVVVV's main game, I frequently died 50 or more times in a room, I think, as the total of deaths after collecting 12 trinkets and completing the Final Level was somewhere between 2000 and 4000 (I don't remember much)... and didn't mind...

Flushex

• Professor
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2013, 11:17:42 pm »
My reply is even more ridiculously late, but I'm glad you liked it!

Out of curiosity, has anyone else beaten this map? If not, I should probably make it easier still. I also am heavily consider taking down the beta as people keep downloading it, and it really is an inferior version of the map.