What not to put in your VVVVVV Level

Started by VeeC7, August 22, 2015, 09:44:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moth 🦋

BUT THE CHARACTERS ARE SO ANGRY
>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

(That was a joke post)

Info Teddy 2

Quote from: Luigi master on February 27, 2016, 02:19:20 PMpaint doesnt support see through tiles.
GET SOMETHING LIKE PAINT.NET
ITS AWESOME
Get something less proprietary.
Quote from: ShinyKitten07 on February 28, 2016, 01:45:49 AM(That was a joke post)
Joke posting is still shit posting.
114. Abusing the fact that Viridian stops when a dialogue text box appears. Very annoying. Crazy Al #02 and Lollipop are both bad at not doing this.
115. Making rooms by moving your mouse around in the general direction as to make the passages of the level go where you want. This doesn't look good.

Ally 🌠

Quote from: Info Teddy on February 28, 2016, 04:18:20 AM
114. Abusing the fact that Viridian stops when a dialogue text box appears. Very annoying. Crazy Al #02 and Lollipop are both bad at not doing this.
Nope. It's pretty good level design.

Info Teddy 2

Quote from: Q•be on February 28, 2016, 08:51:19 PMI agree. Also, since you are one of the finest VVVVVV players, I'd like to see a level of yours. Maybe in your style, with single-tile walls and floating checkpoints.
Since you're so arrogant towards people who criticize levels, here's Patrol v0.5.
116. Abusing the invisible tiles by using them a lot.
117. Abusing the black background tiles by using them a lot.

moth 🦋

Info Teddy 2

Quote from: ShinyKitten07 on February 29, 2016, 01:11:17 AMnice .5 file
It's a fucking XML file, dumbass.
118. Having a script call upon another script which calls upon the original script, causing the game to crash.
119. Focusing too much on placing checkpoints, thus making the level fall in terms of quality in other areas.

allison

Quote from: Info Teddy on February 29, 2016, 02:26:08 AM
119. Focusing too much on placing checkpoints, thus making the level fall in terms of quality in other areas.
When has this ever happened?

Info Teddy 2

Quote from: crazya02 on February 29, 2016, 06:05:46 AMWhen has this ever happened?
When people care too much about checkpoints and complain too much about little checkpoints. Even then, there can't be a compromise of just designing the whole level and then adding checkpoints afterwards, because the level design will obstruct places where people want checkpoints.

Ally 🌠

118. Having a script call upon another script which calls upon the original script, causing the game to crash.
118 doesnt crash the game.
119 okay let's do a no death mode

Asmodean_

120 Checkpoint starvation. Imagine The Warning at the top of the screen and a fucking Gravitron at the bottom. (I'm looking at you VVVVVV2.0 - although admittedly that was more for comedic effect)

121 Severe lack of ifflag//iftrinkets usage in script boxes so whenever you go back to that area for whatever reason you have to go through the same eight minute long dialog every. fucking. time.

122 Shittons of delay(twodigitnumber) in their dialog so even if you've been through it so many times you know it off by heart, you still have twenty seconds mandatory waiting time.*

123 Any combination of 119 - 122.

124 ALL OF THE ABOVE. I mean seriously. Maybe you're the best comedian that's ever been on this planet. Imagine listening to your same routine eighty times in a row. Torture.

*I'm guilty of 122 but at least I make sure it only happens once.

Info Teddy 2

Quote from: Q•be on February 29, 2016, 10:27:16 AMRemember ya you were the first at criticizing checkpoints quantity.
Was I criticizing about the lack of checkpoint quantity, or too much of checkpoint quantity? I would like to see which post I complained about them.
Quote from: Luigi master on February 29, 2016, 12:03:15 PM118 doesnt crash the game.
You're right—it doesn't crash, it freezes. Technical differences aside, I guess I need to give an explanation. Have a script box or a terminal calling script ! because people will complain if you name a script with punctuation in it. ! should have iftrinkets,0,@ with enough blank lines concatenated afterward, such that VVVVVV doesn't erase the iftrinkets line. Two or more should usually be enough. @ should have iftrinkets,0,! with the same requirements as script !. Play the level, then walk into the script box or activate the terminal. The game will then proceed to freeze.
Quote from: Asmodean_ on February 29, 2016, 06:58:14 PM122 Shittons of delay(twodigitnumber) in their dialog so even if you've been through it so many times you know it off by heart, you still have twenty seconds mandatory waiting time.*

The input of delay is in frames, and in VVVVVV, a frame is 1/30 of a second. Thus, delay,30 is one second. On a side note, originally I thought there were thirty ticks per second, but then I realized that you can still start moving and stop moving in less than 1/30 of a second.

Asmodean_

Quote from: Info Teddy on March 01, 2016, 12:12:48 AM
Quote from: Asmodean_ on February 29, 2016, 06:58:14 PM122 Shittons of delay(twodigitnumber) in their dialog so even if you've been through it so many times you know it off by heart, you still have twenty seconds mandatory waiting time.*

The input of delay is in frames, and in VVVVVV, a frame is 1/30 of a second. Thus, delay,30 is one second. On a side note, originally I thought there were thirty ticks per second, but then I realized that you can still start moving and stop moving in less than 1/30 of a second.
I used to think it was 0.1s, like in Minecraft, since my computer was so crap (yes, even with VVVVVV) that it actually took that long. But it won't be a problem if there's something like
ifflag(10,stop)
iftrinkets(0,dialogscript)

because it'll only happen once.

Info Teddy 2

Quote from: Asmodean_ on March 01, 2016, 06:17:41 PMI used to think it was 0.1s, like in Minecraft, since my computer was so crap (yes, even with VVVVVV) that it actually took that long. But it won't be a problem if there's something like
ifflag(10,stop)

A tick in Minecraft is not .1 seconds, but rather, .2 seconds, or one-twentieth of a second, leading to twenty ticks per second. You can even put the ifflag and iftrinkets in the same script if you get rid of cutscene bars.

Asmodean_

Quote from: Info Teddy on March 01, 2016, 11:43:19 PM
Quote from: Asmodean_ on March 01, 2016, 06:17:41 PMI used to think it was 0.1s, like in Minecraft, since my computer was so crap (yes, even with VVVVVV) that it actually took that long. But it won't be a problem if there's something like
ifflag(10,stop)

A tick in Minecraft is not .1 seconds, but rather, .2 seconds, or one-twentieth of a second

Firstly, 0.2 = 1/5, not 1/20. 0.05 = 1/20.
Secondly, there are different types of ticks. There's the display update tick (which is literally just the frame rate), the block update tick (which is 1/20s) and the redstone tick (1/10s) which is the only one people usually talk about when referencing ticks since it's the only one that's really visible ingame.
Sorry bout that, probably should have specified.

Also I'm too much of a noob with internal scripting to put everything in one script and it doesn't really matter anyway. It's not like people are going to think "well this is a good level but has he optimized his scripts?"

Terry

Banned.