[X] - the Square-Bracketed Saga concludes

Started by Bruce Michez, August 27, 2016, 12:48:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce Michez

This is the third and final installment in the story of :viridian:'s clone.  The first two can be found here and here.

Story: After a long journey, the Souleye crew are seemingly ready to fix the cosmos at last.  The experiment goes awry due to interference from four neighbouring dimensions, and :viridian: must explore all of them.  Luckily, the team's new base has some fancy boundary-proof shielding, making transdimensional travel much easier here than in [II] (where it's somewhat Gravitron-esque).

• In terms of density (in both scripts and layout), this level is somewhere between its two predecessors, and thus isn't as long as [II] but is still a substantial adventure spanning four pocket dimensions.
  • For the first time I have dabbled in internal scripting!  This is actually why it took me this long to get around to making a third level; I knew that internal scripting would be required for the sort of story it would necessarily tell.
  • Yes, I know that the Periodic Table and dimensional map seen in the hub have been done before, in CCCCCCCCCC Retold and Dimension Switchback respectively.  They are there because they are the sort of things I'd expect to see in an actual research station in-universe.
  • 20 trinkets again, though they're even less important this time...  (getting 19 unlocks the 20th; otherwise they just influence the behaviour of characters in the base area)
Update history:

• Original release, downloaded 200 times
  • A small update that adds two "running gag" room names I forgot to use, and removes a warning pertaining to what turns out to be a non-existent glitch.

Lollipop

Quote from: Weird Shadow Machine on August 27, 2016, 12:48:35 AM
This is the third and final installment in the story of :viridian:'s clone.  The first two can be found here and here.

Story: After a long journey, the Souleye crew are seemingly ready to fix the cosmos at last.  The experiment goes awry due to interference from four neighbouring dimensions, and :viridian: must explore all of them.  Luckily, the team's new base has some fancy boundary-proof shielding, making transdimensional travel much easier here than in [II] (where it's somewhat Gravitron-esque).

• In terms of density (in both scripts and layout), this level is somewhere between its two predecessors, and thus isn't as long as [II] but is still a substantial adventure spanning four pocket dimensions.
  • For the first time I have dabbled in internal scripting!  This is actually why it took me this long to get around to making a third level; I knew that internal scripting would be required for the sort of story it would necessarily tell.
  • Yes, I know that the Periodic Table and dimensional map seen in the hub have been done before, in CCCCCCCCCC Retold and Dimension Switchback respectively.  They are there because they are the sort of things I'd expect to see in an actual research station in-universe.
  • 20 trinkets again, though they're even less important this time...  (getting 19 unlocks the 20th; otherwise they just influence the behaviour of characters in the base area)
  • I cannot stress it enough: do not save at any box-shaped checkpoint!  (Except the one in the final area - hitting a gravity line actually un-glitches :viridian:'s movement, believe it or not!)
Update history:

• Original release

hype hype hype hype hype

i don't use this site anymore, please don't look at my posts

Holy hell yes

But i'm on vacation with no computer...

-

LafondaSaysMeow

Quote from: Vultarix on August 27, 2016, 06:10:55 AM
Holy hell yes

But i'm on vacation with no computer...
Fucking same
But im going back today
CANT WAIT TO PLAY THIS... Or not as ill have a lot to do...

Beautiful, as always.
I felt a little sad finishing this, knowing it'll be the last of the series... I love to see your growth as a level maker through your levels getting better and better
Best way to describe this level and the others in the series:  :viridian: :viridian: :viridian: :viridian: :viridian: :viridian: :viridian:

Quattro

Really, I just have to say thank you for bringing us not one, not two, but three amazing levels. Quoting Quote (erm), I also felt a little sad knowing that this will be the last of the [SAGA], and I hope you'll let us play more of your great stuff! Also, even in the [SAGA] I noticed your skills getting better, so... Yeah, I can't stand waiting for another level of yours! Great job, man.

Alright, guys, now's your turn to feature this.

i don't use this site anymore, please don't look at my posts

I loved it. I loved every part of it.

info teddy didn't tho xdd

fraZ0R

I'll PLAY THIS IMMEDIATELY. AFTER PLAYING V6iridians level of course.

ZeNewDragon

Missed a trinket somewhere (collected 18), unfortunately I can't go back to the hub area from the abyss.

Bruce Michez

Quote from: ZeNewDragon on September 23, 2016, 11:27:51 PM
Missed a trinket somewhere (collected 18), unfortunately I can't go back to the hub area from the abyss.
Okay, now to think of the best way to make it clear that there aren't any trinkets in the Abyss.
I can tell you right now that there are 9 in Dimension Revolution, 6 in Dimension Quicksilver and 4 in Dimension Helix.
I would hazard a guess that you missed the one near the end of Dimension Helix, as it is deviously hidden, if I say so myself.
There's a reason why there isn't a checkpoint in "Am I Missing Something?" or "Spike Me, Spike You Blues".  After going from "The Inaccessible Room" to "The Exclusive Room", go immediately to the right again, as the latter room warps horizontally.

lol...ipops2

This is good and epic.
200000000000000000000000000000000000000/10

VVVVVVGamer03

I like how the "Initiating Hyper-Feedback Loop" tone raises each time.

VVVVVVGamer03

wow this topic is more dead than i thought it would be  :verdigris:

SJMistery

Maybe because I couldn't post anymore until yesterday...

Gonna try that soon. Sadly, seems the Abducted Once Again map won't be recovered for now  :'( :'( :'(

EDIT: just completed it. Nice ending for the Bracketed TRILOGY ;)
By the way, the last level has some easily cheeseable levels. You should consider sorrounding the block where Indigo stands with spikes.