"Golden Spiral" by Rox

Started by Rox, July 26, 2011, 10:34:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Plato

Very cool, but I don't think I'll be chasing that trinket the hard way.

There were some tough challenges and it was fun!

macemaster11

I love this map! It is very much a challenge (i'm still working on it :D)
Whats the name of the song thats used for this map? It's not in the soundtrack is it? :O

TheoX

Quote from: macemaster11 on August 09, 2011, 07:44:34 AM
Whats the name of the song thats used for this map? It's not in the soundtrack is it? :O

It's one of the two new tracks, "Paced Energy".  I think it's music #10.

Psychopath

Quote from: TheoX on August 09, 2011, 12:39:00 PM
Quote from: macemaster11 on August 09, 2011, 07:44:34 AM

It's one of the two new tracks, "Paced Energy".  I think it's music #10.
Unless Magnus changed the name of the track, it's actually called "Max Confidence"

Source

CHz

Well that sucked 377 deaths and a half an hour of in-game playing time out of my life. Whee-ha!

What made Step Aside suck for me wasn't so much the enemy misalignment, but having to make it through the spike gauntlet before even being able to get up there. It was infuriating getting down to the bottom, waiting for the enemies to get just right, and then flipping into spikes on the way up. :victoria:

Infinite Possibilities and And Beyond were kind of flukey to me too. In Infinite Possibilities, what got me were the small blocks ending the gravity lines on the left and right edges. I'd land on one without realizing it, throwing off the bounce timing, and then I'd ram into an enemy with my face. And Beyond is great, except for how the two enemy pairs with the gap in the middle are right up against the gravity lines, so you can actually be killed from the other side if you bounce while one is directly beneath/above you. It was hard enough making it past the enemies without also having to worry about landing wrong.*

All that said, I'm pretty sure the room I died the most in was none of those, but Feel the Rhythm. Just could not consistently time the very first gravity line crossing at all.

Definitely a lot of tightly-designed challenges here. Love love love Swing on the Spiral in particular.

*: Eventually I figured out a super neato path through And Beyond that negated all that. With the right timing, you can flip into the first track while holding left, fall through the gap into the second track and switch to holding right, and make it past everything without ever having to correct your course!

Rox

Quote from: Psychopath on August 09, 2011, 09:22:03 PM
Unless Magnus changed the name of the track, it's actually called "Max Confidence"
That was the original name of the track. It was renamed for the game because all songs start with a P.

As for you, CHz, good job getting through! I never liked Infinite Possibilities because of the way grav lines behave with the screen wrap. I had to add the little blocks, because without them you could slip right through the lines if you entered at the right angle at the edge of the screen. I've never managed to be killed by enemies on the other side of the lines in And Beyond, but I definitely knew it was possible. That was intentional. I just never, ever had it happen myself, so thanks for confirming!

I agree about Feel the Rhythm. That took me forever to get through when playtesting.

Kinata

I beat this a while ago, and I loved it for its difficulty.

The Weep Like A Widow trinket (the hard way) is ridiculous, but I'm determined to get it. With recording lag I made it to the last room and almost got back to the second last room, but I held right too long and went into the right wall.  :( I'm now trying it without recording lag, and I've only gotten to the second last room. I've already died well over 3000 times on this challenge, but I'm slowly getting better. I won't be able to try again for another week, so hopefully I won't get too rusty. But when I do succeed I'll make sure to get it on video.

Also I like what you did with the other trinket. I would have never found it if I didn't draw out the spiral.

Sendy

Finally beat this! Some parts made me  >:( , so job done I recon ;)

Trinkets: 1 of 2 (guess which one, lol)
Deaths: 735
Time Taken: 45:55

Hardest room for me was Feel the Rhythm, also. It felt like I was being asked to perfectly time about 5 or 6 moves, with 0.1% margin for error. In particular, the spikes at the very right side, and the ones on the right side of the top right cube, really generated some rage  :D What else made it annoying was that I knew I could do it, but it took the lion's share of my 735 deaths to get it just right.

Good stuff!

Suckassloser

This one was a bugger. But did it eventually. Loved the Lateralus reference throughout (obligatory +1 internets to you), and spiral theme of course inspired by the fibronacci sequence (any pretentious Tool fan will be aware that the verse of the track lateralus is based on the fibronacci sequence.) Any, kudos for making such a sh*ttingly hard level.  :violet:

Rox

Oh man, once again, well done to all of you for managing to get through this thing!

Quote from: Kinata on August 12, 2011, 07:11:35 PM
I beat this a while ago, and I loved it for its difficulty.

The Weep Like A Widow trinket (the hard way) is ridiculous, but I'm determined to get it. With recording lag I made it to the last room and almost got back to the second last room, but I held right too long and went into the right wall.  :( I'm now trying it without recording lag, and I've only gotten to the second last room. I've already died well over 3000 times on this challenge, but I'm slowly getting better. I won't be able to try again for another week, so hopefully I won't get too rusty. But when I do succeed I'll make sure to get it on video.

Also I like what you did with the other trinket. I would have never found it if I didn't draw out the spiral.

Excellent. I made that challenge for you, then. I knew a small number of people out there would just love to do things the hard way all over again. I never expected most people to even bother with that trinket once they figure out what it's all about. It makes me happy to hear that inclusion's working as intended!

Quote from: Suckassloser on August 15, 2011, 04:57:30 PM
This one was a bugger. But did it eventually. Loved the Lateralus reference throughout (obligatory +1 internets to you), and spiral theme of course inspired by the fibronacci sequence (any pretentious Tool fan will be aware that the verse of the track lateralus is based on the fibronacci sequence.) Any, kudos for making such a sh*ttingly hard level.  :violet:

Woohoo, Internets! Glad someone finally caught the reference! The song, which I discovered fairly recently, was a massive help when making the level. Half of the rooms wouldn't have existed in their current form if it weren't for the inspiring lyrics. And for those who don't know what we're talking about, I can finally link to this now that it's out of the bag!

The entirity of Golden Spiral, from the layout to the room names to the obstacles and the level name itself, was inspired by this song and what it represents: Lateralus, by Tool.

Well done on catching that.

SirBryghtside

Quote from: Rox on August 15, 2011, 10:37:49 PM
Woohoo, Internets! Glad someone finally caught the reference! The song, which I discovered fairly recently, was a massive help when making the level. Half of the rooms wouldn't have existed in their current form if it weren't for the inspiring lyrics. And for those who don't know what we're talking about, I can finally link to this now that it's out of the bag!

The entirity of Golden Spiral, from the layout to the room names to the obstacles and the level name itself, was inspired by this song and what it represents: Lateralus, by Tool.

Well done on catching that.
That's pretty cool  :viridian:

JUST completed it, great level - my only complaint would be that some of the bits with enemies are really luck-based. But I had a lot of fun!

aBucketOfTrolls

This is my favorite level of those bundled.
After completing the level, I tried going for that one trinket, reached the room below the room below the top. I was always sort of assuming that at the top, there'd be a checkpoint on the disappearing platform because otherwise, the trinket would go from 'somewhat tedious' to 'highly tedious'.
Then I looked at the level, saw there's no checkpoint at the top and promptly gave up.
Anyone actually got the trinket?

TheoX

Holy shit.
I finally beat this damn level.

Rating #045
Enjoyment: 7/10
Aesthetics: 8/10
Novelty: 6/10
Difficulty: 10/10
Room Names: 8/10

A year later and I came back to this one.  I had previously been stuck on "Swing on the Spiral", and it took me another 50 or so deaths to finally clear that screen.  That and the room right before it (I forget the name) were the hardest for me.

It's been so long since I played this that I don't remember at all where the first trinket was, that I was supposed to get.  I got the one on "Weep Like a Widow", but I think I did it the easy way?

This one is fun cause it's so hard, in a masochistic kind of way.  I'm surprised I persevered.  I guess the whole level was just very "tight" and looks nice, which added to the value, and kept me playing.  And now I've probably made the oldest post resurrection on this forum.

avengah

I honestly don't think anyone has ever got that trinket the hard way at full speed without cheating. At the very least, a checkpoint is required at the top to make it even possible as far as I can tell. Otherwise, you wouldn't get anywhere near enough attempts at the downwards trip to get good enough to be able to do it.

N

Quote from: avengah on October 10, 2012, 01:48:49 AM
I honestly don't think anyone has ever got that trinket the hard way at full speed without cheating. At the very least, a checkpoint is required at the top to make it even possible as far as I can tell. Otherwise, you wouldn't get anywhere near enough attempts at the downwards trip to get good enough to be able to do it.
Quote from: TheoX on July 27, 2012, 02:00:08 AM
Holy shit.
I finally beat this damn level.

Rating #045
Enjoyment: 7/10
Aesthetics: 8/10
Novelty: 6/10
Difficulty: 10/10
Room Names: 8/10

A year later and I came back to this one.  I had previously been stuck on "Swing on the Spiral", and it took me another 50 or so deaths to finally clear that screen.  That and the room right before it (I forget the name) were the hardest for me.

It's been so long since I played this that I don't remember at all where the first trinket was, that I was supposed to get.  I got the one on "Weep Like a Widow", but I think I did it the easy way?

This one is fun cause it's so hard, in a masochistic kind of way.  I'm surprised I persevered.  I guess the whole level was just very "tight" and looks nice, which added to the value, and kept me playing.  And now I've probably made the oldest post resurrection on this forum.

EPIC BUMP V2