Balneor's Fun Level Pack

Started by Balneor, August 10, 2018, 10:29:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

uugr

He's already modified some of the levels. The blue text is mostly for problems legitimately preventing progress (missing ending crewmates and the like), plus basic difficulty modification (nerfing rooms and such). I know these both encompass modifications Balneor's already done, and they don't really affect the substance of the level.

You could argue that editing the difficulty is bad or goes against the original intentions of the level, which is probably fair enough, but I don't see any problem with adding an ending crewmate so the level can be beaten (the player is likely to just do this in the editor anyway).

moth 🦋

Ally 🌠

Quote from: uugr on September 10, 2018, 10:40:40 PM
400 Rooms by Multiple Authors (who should be ashamed of themselves) - 15ish minutes. "ey jim" "yeh steve" "yannow dat vvvvvv game" "yeh steve i do" "well jim, yannow how most levels are designed to feel good and fun" "yeh" "well what if we made a level that looks and plays as shitty as possible to make as unfun an experience as we can" "yer a fuckin genius steve"
oh jeez not this collab
was this even finished tho

Bruce Michez

Quote from: -Kiwi Alexia ♡ on September 20, 2018, 11:02:58 AM
Quote from: uugr on September 10, 2018, 10:40:40 PM
400 Rooms by Multiple Authors (who should be ashamed of themselves) - 15ish minutes. "ey jim" "yeh steve" "yannow dat vvvvvv game" "yeh steve i do" "well jim, yannow how most levels are designed to feel good and fun" "yeh" "well what if we made a level that looks and plays as shitty as possible to make as unfun an experience as we can" "yer a fuckin genius steve"
oh jeez not this collab
was this even finished tho

Nope, not even close.  It looks like Shadowspirit more or less derailed the whole project.  I'm still quite proud of my "Chariots of Fire" and "Fooled Again" (yeeeeah!) rooms, though.
It also looks like Balneor didn't include that collab's custom graphics, which had those red death blocks I used for the "Fooled Again" illusion.

Balneor

Quote from: Bruce Michez on September 20, 2018, 02:57:09 PMNope, not even close.  It looks like Shadowspirit more or less derailed the whole project.  I'm still quite proud of my "Chariots of Fire" and "Fooled Again" (yeeeeah!) rooms, though.
It also looks like Balneor didn't include that collab's custom graphics, which had those red death blocks I used for the "Fooled Again" illusion.

There are custom graphics to this level ? Never seen any, so I'd definitely be interested, please send me a PM with those files.

At the same time I just want to inform that the first part of this collection is currently more than halfway through from being updated, you should expect gameplay fixes and tweaks, for which orange-red labelled levels will generally be related to.

Bruce Michez

Quote from: Balneor on September 20, 2018, 06:16:11 PM
There are custom graphics to this level ? Never seen any, so I'd definitely be interested, please send me a PM with those files.

I don't think you can attach files to PMs, so here goes nothing:

Balneor

First quarter of the compilation updated to v1.2 ! Many levels were tweaked due to Uugr's notes, going as far as removing some of them (It now contains 71 levels as opposed to ~~80 previously). Still, the comp's meaning is to offer some fun content to play, and not exactly the most polished, original and innovative material. For that kind of stuff, you can go by his highlights.

Up following are my responses to most of his notes, which concerns levels that are highlighted in orange red and blue (Those generally are tweaked) :

Quote from: uugr on September 10, 2018, 10:40:40 PM100 Challenges by som1sezhi (rip) - About 1hr30mins. Partially played before. Contains some of the best design of any VVVVVV level but it's also hard as balls, especially later. Needs an ending crewmate. Also, the last few levels took up 1 / 3 of my level time - could probably be nerfed.

Most of the later frustrating rooms are toned-down.

Quote from: uugr on September 10, 2018, 10:40:40 PM100000 "by pattoo1234" - 15ish minutes. Literally just shitty 333333. What the fuck pattoo. Why is this here?

Despite the shittiness copying attempt, this level is just enough on the easy side (At least everything before the final zone)  that it personally wasn't too much boring to spee... play. So it's staying here.

Quote from: uugr on September 10, 2018, 10:40:40 PM336699 by TheEnderCast - 5ish minutes. Really simple and kinda bad. 90% of my gameplay time was one obnoxious DTTHW that kinda ruined the level, should be nerfed. (Starts at "you hate me").

That was tweaked along with some other stuff, notably making the end-crewmate unavoidable.

Quote from: uugr on September 10, 2018, 10:40:40 PM3x3 Spiral by Lollipop - 2ish minutes. Easy and simple, incredibly basic design. Doesn't really deserve to be on here.

Despite its blandness, I think this is still kinda fun to play. A lot of things were tweaked this time around though, especially that one trinket with a required death.

Quote from: uugr on September 10, 2018, 10:40:40 PM400 Rooms by Multiple Authors (who should be ashamed of themselves) - 15ish minutes. "ey jim" "yeh steve" "yannow dat vvvvvv game" "yeh steve i do" "well jim, yannow how most levels are designed to feel good and fun" "yeh" "well what if we made a level that looks and plays as shitty as possible to make as unfun an experience as we can" "yer a fuckin genius steve"

Most frustrating sections were nerfed.

Quote from: uugr on September 10, 2018, 10:40:40 PM5 Rooms by ? - 25ish minutes. Top 10 times a good level ruined itself by trying to make the ending too hard. Please, PLEASE do something about that god damn ending.

Little nerfs. You can now skip the mentionned ending ! laugh

Quote from: uugr on September 10, 2018, 10:40:40 PM5x5 Spiral by Lollipop - 8ish minutes. Even shittier than 3x3, this level has basically no merit. Definitely doesn't deserve to be on here.

May not be as fun as its shorter brother, but with enough tweaks it'll still stay up here.

Quote from: uugr on September 10, 2018, 10:40:40 PM8888888 by Lenare - Played 45ish minutes before I hit a gravitron fling without saving and gave up. Playing this level was a waste of my time.

Not gonna lie, playing this again kinda felt the same. This level is now removed for convenience, because its script-heavy nature may not allow for much replayability. Specifically, if you don't go to certain places or activate some terminals for key dialogues, then the level will prevent you from advancing to upcoming areas, and thus allowing completion. And since you are more likely to skip theses like I did when playing this earlier (And getting progression-locked)... It can become particularly frustrating and waste-of-time-worthy to backtrack through an (Especially meh) overworld.

Quote from: uugr on September 10, 2018, 10:40:40 PMA Big Challenge by nPOW11 - 5ish minutes. why the actual fuck is this on here, it literally has no redeeming qualities. wtf

I agree, not really fun in retrospective. Level removed.

Quote from: uugr on September 10, 2018, 10:40:40 PMA Lab by AYellowPerson - 7ish minutes. A bunch of annoying precision challenges and then it's over. Boo.

I'll keep its tweaked version instead.

Quote from: uugr on September 10, 2018, 10:40:40 PMA Linear Level by WF - 10ish minutes. Someone's first level. Get this outta here.

Granted this isn't the best level out there. Added much more checkpoints and made it less annoying as a whole.

Quote from: uugr on September 10, 2018, 10:40:40 PMA No Story Dimension by DeadlyGoomba - 5ish minutes. Played before. IS fails to make this level interesting. Needs an ending, or you could just remove the level from the compilation.

I'll do the latter. Some of the gameplay is not enjoyable, maintly because of its general artificial difficulty.

Quote from: uugr on September 10, 2018, 10:40:40 PMA Trip to Nowhere by Bearboy - 4ish minutes. Someone else's first level. Seriously, get this outta here.

Despite a few of the trinkets's questionnable placement design, for me this is quite fine to play.

Quote from: uugr on September 10, 2018, 10:40:40 PMAbducted Once More by Pinkamena Diane Pie and SJMistery - 25ish minutes. Story has a kind of a "so bad it's good" charm but that doesn't excuse the terrible gameplay. Also, bad design "ironically" is still bad design.

Kinda have a dark background with this custom, just like Back to VVVVVV. There is way too much questionnable stuff that you can't fix without a lot of work. And there are so many version of this freaking level too, it's one hell of a jungle to wave through. Removed for good.

Quote from: uugr on September 10, 2018, 10:40:40 PMAdventure by Mysterio - 20ish minutes. Feels like it was made in a day. Definitely not playtested. Thumbs waaaay down.

Going to keep it without forgetting about doing adjustments. Removed a few shitty trinkets, added more useful checkpoints and tweaked sections altogether.

Quote from: uugr on September 10, 2018, 10:40:40 PMAll Alone by Mysterio - 5ish minutes. Easily the worst of the bunch so far, which is actually kinda impressive for a 3x3 map. I get that this is for people who just want more VVVVVV regardless of quality, but I can't imagine anyone desperate enough to do this piece of garbage.

Even more fixes. But yea, the original version definitely was quite up there in terms of polishness.

Quote from: uugr on September 10, 2018, 10:40:40 PMAn Honest Mistake by Chap - hell no

Oh, come on, it wasn't even the raw version, laugh Tweaked it twice now.

Quote from: uugr on September 10, 2018, 10:40:40 PMApathy by robloxfan1999 - 5ish minutes. Get it, it's funny because the designer felt "apathy" about making his level so it came out really terrible.

Gameplay fixes~~

Quote from: uugr on September 10, 2018, 10:40:40 PMArkive's Tutorial by Arkive86 (duh) - 4ish minutes. I mean, it's a decent respite after all those hard levels, but this level kind of has no reason to exist?

Removed all delay commands for faster gameplay access~~

Quote from: uugr on September 10, 2018, 10:40:40 PMAscension by Pyrite - 2ish minutes. flurp

Very little tweaks, a notable one is the removal of one trinket.

Quote from: uugr on September 10, 2018, 10:40:40 PMAscost by Sergione - 10ish minutes. Surprisingly fun and well made. I like it. Ending is cool but the last bit of IS is broken, needs a fix.

Dunno what the maker intended there, but it should now be fixed.

Quote from: uugr on September 10, 2018, 10:40:40 PMB0unc3 by FCreature - 3ish minutes. Wow, this is... charmingly bad.

Cleaned-it up a little.

Quote from: uugr on September 10, 2018, 10:40:40 PMBack to VVVVVV by FIQ - about 1hr30mins. Played before. I get that it's an important milestone in VVVVVV history but it's just not *good*.

Yea, think I'm going to remove this one. More frustrating than fun.

Quote from: uugr on September 10, 2018, 10:40:40 PMBeginner Level by Chip - 2ish minutes. Well it performs as advertised, I guess. Not interesting.

Good enough for me.

Quote from: uugr on September 10, 2018, 10:40:40 PMBurly Fortress by Joseph Cardle - About 1 minute. Manages to pack a lot of bad design into such a small space. It's almost impressive. Except it's not, it's terrible.

Kinda meh indeed, removed.

Quote from: uugr on September 10, 2018, 10:40:40 PMChallenges of Death by Bearboy - 5ish minutes. D- level. Bordering on red.

No removal, only a few tweaks.

Quote from: uugr on September 10, 2018, 10:40:40 PMComputer Battle by CreepiX - 5ish minutes. This is a fantastic concept, but the actual design is frustrating and finicky. It's cool but please make it easier/less precise.

If you want so..

Quote from: uugr on September 10, 2018, 10:40:40 PMComputer Crisis by tos tur - 15ish minutes. Poorly made and buggy. Basically the previous level but worse.

Tweaks~~~.

Quote from: uugr on September 10, 2018, 10:40:40 PMConveyor Vun by Nicholashin - 10ish minutes. Had to use the editor multiple times. "i fucking despise this atrocious piece of shit" is the thing I wrote immediately after finishing it, so uh, that's not a good sign.

Tweaked like only 3 rooms, rest is fine by my standards lol. The original, unnerfed version was much worse (And close to impossible) compared to this if you're any curious.

Quote from: uugr on September 10, 2018, 10:40:40 PMCrash Landing by Mysterio - 3ish minutes. Played before. Incredibly unpolished and basic. I'd be ok with a modified version of this level on here, but in its current state it's just... waaaay too buggy and ugly looking.

This now should be somewhat better.

Quote from: uugr on September 10, 2018, 10:40:40 PMCrashed! by QwertymanO07 - Uff-da, this level is good! A shame it crashed partway through and the rest is heavily unfinished. I'd at least ask for bugfixes and an available ending, just so I don't have to leave it unfinished.

I'd love too, but there's only so much I can modify myself. For now this level will be removed because of its instability and really unfinished state, but I'd encourage players to hunt for it anyways.

Quote from: uugr on September 10, 2018, 10:40:40 PMDDDDDDimension! By Lollipop - 25ish minutes. Boring, repetitive design mixed with obnoxious out of sync enemies/pointless backtracking/checkpoint starvation, and lovingly slathered with IS that's barely passable even by the standards of when IS was first discovered. I can totally see why this masterpiece was featured.

Added much more needed checkpoints, for the most part.

Quote from: uugr on September 10, 2018, 10:40:40 PMDeath Dungeon by Zane - 4ish minutes. Well this level is uh, "special". Why is this here?

Can't give a precise reason, but it was for the most part fine to play. Its brother on the other hand..

Quote from: uugr on September 10, 2018, 10:40:40 PMDifficulty Spike by Nicholashin - Played 15 minutes, then decided to stop. God, this level is AWFUL.

Modified the difficulty of some sections (I.e pixel jumps in insane mode) among other tweaks.

Quote from: uugr on September 10, 2018, 10:40:40 PMDimension ABCDE2 by lamourieparkinson - 20ish minutes. Actually significantly worse than the original, really inconsistent difficulty and some VERY poor rooms. Part of the wave of "look mom, I can IS too" type levels. Graphic file is missing (??).

The custom's original topic doesn't mention or give access to anything related to that. They were only used once in a very specific location, so it's fair to assume it was intended as such. Tweaks yet again, not feeling any older yet.

Quote from: uugr on September 10, 2018, 10:40:40 PMDimension Artificial by KostaRotaev - 10ish minutes. The smallest 20x20 map with 20 trinkets ever, probably. I dunno what to say, the room design was... fine? I mean jeez, KostaRotaev's writing is just as nonsensical in his levels as his posts.

Modified.

Quote from: uugr on September 10, 2018, 10:40:40 PMDimension Byte by Veec7 - 20ish minutes. Until the final level this was really good, but the overlong repetitive final level was totally unnecessary.

Modified.

Quote from: uugr on September 10, 2018, 10:40:40 PMDimension Colored "by pattoo1234" - WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS DOING HERE

Removed. At the time I though it would make for some "interesting" gameplay. Unfortunately it's in reality more frustrating than anything else, really. People would probably not be able to beat it due to its unmatched level design.

Quote from: uugr on September 10, 2018, 10:40:40 PM"Thedangerzonemoded" by Andrew Taylor - 15ish minutes. This level does genuinely have some cool ideas and I enjoyed a lot of the rooms the first time playing them, but DEAR GOD DOES THIS LEVEL NEED CHECKPOINTS. Seriously, it's frustrating as SHIT without them. Also fix the title and do something about the "gimme" trinkets, probably.

Done.

Quote from: uugr on September 10, 2018, 10:40:40 PMUntitled Level - damn i love this one, 11/10. Seriously though you accidentally put two "A No Story Dimension"s in here and one of them is just a blank level file. Might wanna do somethin' about that.

Sorry but I can't seem to find that one duplicate level you're talking about. On the other hand I accidentally put another level twice, which now is fixed.

Now that this is said, I'll immediately start working on improving the second quarter, but expect that to take longer than this one, by far.

Toppy

Balneor

The 1.2 version update of the second quarter pack has finally arrived ! Everything in there should be much more tolerable to play.

Like the previous time, here's Uugr's unfinished level notes about this specific pack, along with my individual comments for each :

QuoteA Dubious Maze by Lollipop - 15ish minutes, 3/5 trinkets. It's certianly interesting, and WAY better than Lollipop's others. I kinda wish there were more levels like it."

Tweaked it a little still.

QuoteDimension Microscope by BCGAMING2017 - 7ish minutes. Played before. Putting this ahead of schedule so I can do the secret afterward. This one is VERY vanilla, but it's still a nice, easy difficulty. Overall enjoyable. Requiring trinkets is weird.

Same thing !

QuoteDimension Microscope Secret - Got 30 points, then checked the map in Ved and gave up. The whole "secret lab" thing is kinda cool, but it's weird that they spent so much more effort on this stupid and absurd DTTHW than the actual level.

This is yet again one of these, for which I have a bad experience with. I'll keep it, without forgetting about nerfing it a lot. Now should be much fairer to play than before

QuoteD.S.S. Souleye by Lenare - 10ish minutes. Wow. Neat concept, but in practice it's way too frustrating and precise (I needed the editor for the final challenge). I'd hate to see what hard mode looks like.

Hard mode is : same level without checkpoints, synonym of absolute dumbness. I tend to add the hardest version of a level, but only when it is reasonnable enough. Didn't change a lot of stuff otherwise

QuoteDimension Dimension by Dav999 - 10ish minutes. Excellent IS as is expected of Dav's levels. Map is very fillery, but level is relaxing and what challenge there is is fun.

The word that means modifying something ever so slightly, that have been extensively used all over this thread and will continue to happend, was unsurprisingly applied to this level.

QuoteDimension Doom by christian - 10ish minutes. Well... this is certainly a level that exists.

Yep, some questionnable design choices. Very little "t" word.

QuoteDimension Elvor by CrashMix - 15ish minutes. The fact that Balneor called this level glitchy on multiple occasions and basically admitted in the level that he had to make it playable at all, yet STILL featured it, baffles me. Vermilion can't be reached without the editor, but really, it doesn't matter. Just delete this level please.

I was originally going to keep it with a second wave of fixes, but in the end it will be removed because of too many issues, questionnable things. You can easily tell it wasn't even playtested.

QuoteDimension Funland by Flushex - 20ish minutes. It's Variation Venture for the modern age... except MUCH harder. Seriously, this level is no joke. That said, it has some of the cleverest designs of any level I've seen, and the style is fantastic. I wish Terry were still around to feature this.

I honestly wish most of these trinkets weren't as bad and easy to get.

QuoteDimension Gensokyo by nicholashin - Ran out of patience for this level after 10 minutes. I did one area and looked at the rest in the editor, and I gotta say, if Balneor didn't feature this one by accident I'm quitting. Nicholashin has quickly rocketed past Lollipop and even pattoo as my least favorite level designer - three red levels in a row. Blech, I have a bad taste in my mouth just thinking about this work of absolute condensed shit.

Absolutely don't agree, the level is very fun to play : there are only a couple of unconsistent sections that are now nerfed.

QuoteDimension IJK538 by Andrej2001 - 50ish minutes. This level is decent, aside from the absurd and utterly unnecessary empty overworld which took me 20 minutes to go through. Look, this may constitute defiling the level, but please, Balneor, do something about that FUCKING overworld.

Wish granted, it is now fully skippable.

QuoteDimension of Secrets by Dav999 - 10ish minutes. Not as good as Dav's other one, that's for sure. Still an acceptable level, but there's nothing terribly interesting about it.

Okay level.

QuoteDimension Open by So Many Fellas - About 1hr30mins. Played before. God DAMN. What even is there to say about this level, I'm sure everyone reading has played it at this point. A crucial part of VVVVVV history, but, unlike Back to VVVVVV, this one is actually good!

Removed most delay commands (Especially those from key terminals) for faster play of course. Also made one of the trinket realistically obtainable.

QuoteDimension Piplup by Robert - 45ish minutes. Writing is atrocious, gameplay alternates between uninteresting and frustratingly bad. Do not recommend.

My initial impressions of this was generally alright (Even when replaying it now). Still modified it again, should be lot more supportable to play.

QuoteDimension Pixel by Pixelator - About 1 hour. Needs an ending crewmate. Level's absurd difficulty spikes wore me down to the point where I ended up using invincibility at the end. Christ this level is annoying.

Playing it again (modified one on top of that) surely wasn't as fun as I last remembered. Went through a second modification process, removing even more questionnable things.

QuoteDimension Resort by BCGAMING2017 - 10ish minutes. Played before. Unabashed knockoff of Tower of Power, plays mostly fine but some sections are too reflex-focused. Not sure what the point of this level's existence is.

I'd like to massively break the level's concept by putting checkpoints in each floors, as it is overall much easier to die there, than in Tower of Power (due to your reasons), but I'll go with just a little nerfing instead.

QuoteDimension Riki 3 by riki2321 - 5ish minutes. Writing makes it sound like a joke level but actual gameplay is unironically pretty good. What happened to Riki 1/2?

They were pretty good also, albeit very short. So much in fact, that it was the reason I hadn't added them, but now this will change.

QuoteDimension RRRRRR (1) by Lollipop - 40ish minutes. Another work of glorious art by my favorite level designer. This is like a microcosm of everything I hate about Lollipop's levels, filled with obnoxious bullshit and fake difficulty galore, and not a single original idea in sight. Thumbs down.

Tweaked a few things, but kept the level intact for the most part.

QuoteDimension Spikes by TheChineseGuy - 3ish minutes. I could have made this level in an hour. Utterly dull. Why was this featured?

Yea, gonna remove this. Doing the same thing ten times in a row can be boring. Would've been so much better if the difficulty progress was like 5x faster overall.

QuoteDimension TTTTTT by Yoshi13 - Played 20 minutes and got 8/10 trinkets. Look, Balneor, I appreciate you warning me against playing the final level, and a quick look in the editor (plus the copious 2-block-wide openings on the last room I did) proves the end to be bullshit, but you REALLY didn't need to keep that shit in here. This level is already bad enough to be orange, and the terrible final level puts it in the red for good. Get rid of it.

Overall it really isn't that good, though I really love the brutality of that bonus area. Alright removed, not much I can argue back here. The original level already was impossible to begin with.

QuoteDimension RRRRRR (2) by pixelator - 2ish hours. Partially done before. Pixelator pulls a mean trick by investing me in a full hour of good level before lobbing the bullshit difficulty my way, and pulls an even meaner trick by making the bullshit section half the length of the level. I want to recommend this 'cause it's huge and VERY detailed, but the polar dimension is just too precise and finicky.

Tweaked a few more things.

QuoteDimension Vector by Veec7 - 15ish minutes. Gee, Veec7 sure has a comfort zone, huh? I'm not complaining, this level is a relaxing break. That said, it's kind of stupid how this level so blatantly rips off so many other player levels. Maybe this was an old Veec7?

Removed some spikes in the overworld among other smaller things.

QuoteDimension Vezic by Veec7 - 20ish minutes. ...But damn, is he prolific. I'm marking this level orange, not because it's bad, but because these two Veec7s in a row REALLY get tiresome - change the name, maybe? Or, y'know, just cut it out.

Removed most of the very annoying room-transition spikes that you can't react to.

QuoteDimension Vicky by Verisnin - 10ish minutes. Uh... no.

It surely isn't the best thing in the universe, but it plays fine for me. Tweaked a few things as usual.

Quoteyou don't get the orange/red to see which ones need to be deleted but i think it's pretty obvious which ones would be red

Because of this and due to a thorough quality check, I thus have decided to remove the following levels from that pack :
Dimension WWWWWW (ToasterApocalypse), Distress in Nishigura (Jamodawg97), DiVVVVVVersion - Yellow Warp (Robloxfan1999), Double Death Dungeon (Zane), G.M.C Science Test Program (Evster_13), Infinity (FlamingBanana), Lost in Intermission (Damn It AL to Hell), Lost Laboratory (Damn It AL to Hell), Maze Demo (Yolotroll101).

This aside you should not expect any of the kept levels to be in their original form : they were all tweaked, although to various degrees.
Please tell me if you encounter any problems with them.

For my next update, I'm also considering modifying the way my compilation is set up. More specifically, concerning large files.
As of right now, when a custom requires additional files, these are found into folders (their names include the level's for clarification). Each type of add-on have its own folder. A custom and all its related extensions are inside the same pack. But this is not the case concerning large files. You find these in another location inside the dropbox link and are able to download them individually.

But in the future (Probably around the same time I'll be updating the third quarter), I will probably change the way to download levels requiring large add-ons. Instead of downloading these files one by one, and having to waste time tidying stuff afterward, you will instead be able to download the custom and everything related to it, in one click. These downloads will be found exactly at the same place you originally got the music files. These levels will thus be separated from the compilation entirely. It's not like they represent the majority, there currently are only 5 of them (+1 when I'll release my 5th pack) out of 300 (exact number btw).

I might do the same thing, regarding custom levels requiring any kind of add-ons in general. You'd get everything related to one level inside one folder. Only this time, if its extensions are at a small enough size, that folder will be part of the compilation instead of the outside. All this seems much simpler than the state it is in now.

Anyways, will now get at work improving the third quarter.

Balneor

Hey, this is just me warning about the upcoming update. In a few days from now, I'll disable the dropbox link for a couple hours, time necessary to update the files.

Here's a summary of what will be changed :
- Everything concerning a level that is requiring add-ons, will be found inside a dedicated folder (Instead of being all over the place). Depending on the additionnal files' size (In the sense that, whether they are large enough to drastically impact the download sizes or not), the related level's folder will either stay inside the compilations, or be moved away to the music folder (Which will now be re-named as the "Big customs" folder).
Both of these measures are made so the compilation is easier to download and manage.

- Additionally, and this is new : The "+" term (meaning that the level in question requires custom files for it to be played correctly) will be replaced with "plus". The reason being, "+" does not get recognised very well with the ctrl+f search function, which was a problem for me.

- I added Dimension Riki 1 and 2 ("Riki the crewmate" forum name), and LOVE v2.0 (Gwinnell) to the second quarter.

- Concerning very hard levels, I have now added a terminal at the beginning of them (this yet isn't the case with the fourth quarter), warning about how playing them may rather be more frustrating than fun (especially concerning unexperimented players). Of course, these remains if anyone wants a challenge.

And undoubtedly, the biggest change so far : third quarter of the pack updated to v1.2 ! All levels were modified by varying amounts, in order to be less frustrating
Immediately following this, I have decided to remove the following levels from this pack :
Potential (Neurario), Ppeeaauu (Roman.M.A.), Random Challenge (XPRO2X), Red Alarm (Franzyup), Rescue da green dude! (Scruffy), Ship Invader (Alcrantos & Liam Duggan, deleted user), Spaceone (Bryelle), Spiky Tower (VeeC7), SS1 Backwards with Verdigris (FIQ and shiny k), Test #1 (PaKiToseK). That makes 10 levels removed and 67 remaining.

I'll update this post about my future plans, once that Dropbox link is back up.

[Update finished, it surprisingly took very little time compared to what I was expecting.
The update itself on the other hand, took longer to prepare than usual, around one more month. I would like to get this done before next september, date where having time will become an issue. In other news, I plan on uploading an entirely new level pack dedicated to the player content created between my thread's birthdays (So between the 10th August of 2018 to 09). Don't expect these to be big compilations (At most they will contain half the amount of levels you can find on the four initial packs, so around 40). Not much planned aside from all that, so now is the time to stay tuned for the next big update :viridian:]

Balneor

And now we've gotten full circle with this update ! Last quarter pack updated to v1.2. I want to recall that most of these levels are slightly altered versions of the ones you can normally download from the makers. It's mostly bug and small gameplay related alterations, in order to make the customs less annoying to play in some places. You should be able to retrace them back if wanted.

List of levels that were removed from this pack :
The V Flip v1.1 (Stylzm), Tower of Doom v1.1 (PyNe), The Satellite Base (LucasK), The Colour Spiral (Derp Department), The Spikement (Prrg), Vacation Wrecked Demo (510lliw), Vex's Stronghold (Damn It AL to Hell), Villi Searching (Veec7), Viridian to the Future (Starspire & Veec7), VVVVVVII (ChristaMoose), VVVVVV Adventure (Shape worrior t), Zany Protocol (Flamingbanana).
Making 12 levels to be removed and 66 remaining. 279 total in this entire compilation.

I'm happy that this long "quality-control" project of mine has ended, at last. That doesn't mean there won't be any more updates coming up. I have one brand new, fifth pack planned for the one-year anniversary of this topic. Not much we can do there, aside waiting up for that time to come and for people's new creations to arise. So see us then again, in a couple months.

Balneor

RIP One day too late Hey everyone :viridian:  New update with this 5th pack, containing 24 new levels made since last year (Although didn't include any of the recent contest levels). Dimension Colored I had removed in the past, but decided to add back again. Also included two new levels in the "Big Customs" folder... pretty much already it.

Ok, so more seriously. The header didn't hide it, this will indeed be the thread's last update.

The main reason (that can't be avoided no matter what) is that I'll soon have way less time to spend maintaining it.

Secondly, the pack itself currently has a lot of issues. The prime example is that I called this a fun quality pack aimed at anyone who wanted to simply have fun, but I doubt that'll be the case. Because fun is a strongly subjective concept that varies depending on one's skill over the game among other factors, the amount I thus had with all these levels here will drastically be different than anybody else. Almost all of these customs are gameplay-themed levels, and if not I usually get rid of what slows me down in order to get to the gameplay faster (That means removing some commands from scripts, or them entirely). And, some of them may be very bad, or with close to no gameplay at all, but that's because then I can just run through the place very quickly (Many of Pattoo1234's levels), which in my tastes is another type of fun to be met in this game.

So good luck having any actual fun with this pack. After all, it used to be a private compilation for quite a while but I strangely decided to make it public, without properly considering these facts. Now there were other motivations for doing this, some written in the first post. It was only with good intentions, but that alone won't hide the issues.

And last, I don't know if modifying levels, and (separately or not) distributing them without anyone's permission / knowledge is a good thing to do when making compilations in general. The problem is that this much imperfection to fix / find solutions about, would ask for too much time than I currently have. Having this in mind dissuades me from wanting to do anything with the compilation again... For now, and for the big future.

Excuse such a poor ending of a post, I honestly just want to get this over with.
For better or worse I will keep this compilation downloadable, maybe it will be disabled in the future idrk. Make a comment if you want one of the showcased levels to be removed, or for anything else, I can't imagine what. Still, all the way through it was a very nice time for me so I want to thank you all for this journey.

mayo pigeon

Pretty good levels, some are kinda

moth 🦋

Ally 🌠