An unfinished project from 9 years ago with nice art and too much commitment

Started by TheoX, April 05, 2020, 03:31:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheoX

Hey all, I saw that recently was the 10th anniversary of VVVVVV, which brought a smile to my face.  Almost 10 years ago I used to be very active on this forum, playing all the levels and taking it upon myself to rate them, though I don't remember if anyone actually liked that or not.  Anyway, I had an unfinished level of my own, and I realized at some point that the story concept (a rescue mission involving a lot of scripting) was becoming burdensome and I was never going to finish it.  I used to think it would be silly to release something unfinished, but now after almost a decade, I think I would like people to see what I was working on, if anyone cares to play through a project which has some fun room designs and balanced challenges, but which gets cut off midway through.

Here are some screenshots.  I made a point to use text as art in almost every room of the game, something which at the time of making it, wasn't being done much.  I'm sure that's changed but I hope you can appreciate the effort I put into making a lot of these rooms look nice at a younger age.  I also threw in a lot of random (often obscure) references into the room names.

As I've said, the level is unfinished; you'll know once you reach Violet's house that there is nothing afterward.  But I hope that if you play, you enjoy what's there, especially the artsy side of it.  ;)

Bruce Michez

Balneor

While I don't know you specifically, I remember these old posts of yours from the time I was looking through the entire forum for levels in 2018. You may be surprised to learn that even as of today, levels using room text for decoration purposes are extremely rare. And even less with this amount of design put into it. So imo this is very unique. Although it's not always obvious as to what the decoration are supposed to represent.

As for the level itself, it was pretty nice and clean all around. Too bad this is incomplete.

If you can I'd recommend checking out some of VVVVVV's newer levels, especially the ones made for contest events. Thanks to the rise in usage of custom textures and music, along with breaking new boundaries with scripting, people have done astounding things.

moth 🦋

neat little level! i think my favorite roomtext thing was the antennas in the "ship" rooms, super creative

Info Teddy

Quote from: Bruce Michez on April 05, 2020, 07:52:36 PMI ended up rescuing :vitellary: during a cutscene - this crashes the game.
how'd you manage to do that? it seems like there's no way to rescue vitellary while touching the script box at the same time

Bruce Michez

Quote from: Info Teddy on April 10, 2020, 11:30:26 PM
Quote from: Bruce Michez on April 05, 2020, 07:52:36 PMI ended up rescuing :vitellary: during a cutscene - this crashes the game.
how'd you manage to do that? it seems like there's no way to rescue vitellary while touching the script box at the same time
Must have been some kind of inertia shenanigans.  I can't reproduce what happened.