Beta patch 2.1 Final

Started by simoroth, October 04, 2011, 04:16:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miekkamorso

Thanks for this patch simoroth! I like the new levels you added  :viridian:

blue626

I found that if you put a grav. line in the 2nd bottom line (and probably the 1st) of a room with vertical warping, it doesn't appear and :viridian: warps immediately as it reach near the top edge, not even showing part of him/her at the bottom, like the grav. line was at the top line. It that this is related to this:

Quote from: FIQ on September 02, 2012, 05:35:18 PM
Viridian is "calibrated" to pretend that the roomname is the level bottom in levels with vertical warplines, which leads to this if the room lacks roomname.

It would be better to let the room not contain the roomname area. That would also fix the floor/spikes inside roomname problems, but it's not going to be changed now, though.

When you hold right and then touch a wall, :viridian: will stop, but he's still "moving" (moving still, understand?)! That doesn't happen when holding left, and that didn't happen in 1.2.

I think that the warp line glitch may produce cheats on the tower (being the only level in the main game with warp lines).

(Oh, and, Terry, you should really tell where to report bugs, as there's also the "Version 2: report bugs here" and the "2.1.2. Pre-release patch" threads, and you can also create a thread just for reporting a bug).

blue626

Minor glitch: When you press Enter while a message is showing (those like "Room now warps horizontally" or "Error: Cannot have both warp types") and then (possibly after testing/playing a bit) press Enter again,  that message shows up again and stays there until it disappears. If it already was disappearing when you press Enter the 1st time, then it continues to disappear after you press it the 2nd time. In both cases, the message doesn't show while playing in the editor (after pressing Enter for the 1st time). Perhaps you should disable pressing Enter while messages like that are showing.

Quote from: blue626 on November 02, 2012, 06:25:41 PM
(Oh, and, Terry, you should really tell where to report bugs, as there's also the "Version 2: report bugs here" and the "2.1.2. Pre-release patch" threads, and you can also create a thread just for reporting a bug).

avengah

Is there any chance of the latest patch becoming public? You know, the patch where those bugs listed as fixed actually are fixed? The game's getting on a bit now, and we know it's floating around (Terry and/or Simoroth have it), so please could it become public? Thanks.

RobotronEU

Awww.. Common, Terry! Make it happen, I'm still waiting on 2.1 official for steam. Btw: My Razer Onza Xbox-controller don't work in this beta (All that was needed was a restart. lol)

allison

Gah, could you change the topic name? Whenever I check the Tech Support forum my heart stops for a second :P

blue626

I thought of this: Nobody knows anything about VVVVVV scripting unless they come here, and if they come here, they'll probably know about the beta patch. Maybe that's why Terry thinks it's not worth to release it in public?

I still don't know why there isn't a beta for Mac.

FIQ

Quote from: blue626 on December 05, 2012, 03:57:35 PM
I thought of this: Nobody knows anything about VVVVVV scripting unless they come here, and if they come here, they'll probably know about the beta patch. Maybe that's why Terry thinks it's not worth to release it in public?

2.1 fix other stuff too... time trial bugs, time trial times not storing correctly is examples.

blue626

Quote from: FIQ on December 05, 2012, 04:26:43 PM

2.1 fix other stuff too... time trial bugs, time trial times not storing correctly is examples.

I think you didn't understand my post...
How does anyone know how to use scripting in the level editor without coming here? People will probably look for a site that tells that, and find this forum. They'll probably know about the beta patch too. So, the beta patch is almost public. Maybe that's what Terry thinks.

Dav999

Why not make a help page for scripting in the game itself? Like 'PRESS F1 FOR HELP' in the script editor, and when you press F1, you get to a screen where the commands are explained! That would help a lot of people who can't figure it out by themselves, or have no idea what scripts do. It would also make things more official, and you don't have to open a browser to search for a list of commands.

How about a tutorial mode for the level editor, just like the tutorials in the VVVVVV Levels board, but in-game! :viridian:

blue626

Quote from: Dav999 on December 05, 2012, 05:38:42 PM
Why not make a help page for scripting in the game itself? Like 'PRESS F1 FOR HELP' in the script editor, and when you press F1, you get to a screen where the commands are explained! That would help a lot of people who can't figure it out by themselves, or have no idea what scripts do. It would also make things more official, and you don't have to open a browser to search for a list of commands.

How about a tutorial mode for the level editor, just like the tutorials in the VVVVVV Levels board, but in-game! :viridian:

Now, why didn't Terry do that?

FIQ

Quote from: blue626 on December 05, 2012, 04:37:45 PM
Quote from: FIQ on December 05, 2012, 04:26:43 PM

I think you didn't understand my post...
How does anyone know how to use scripting in the level editor without coming here? People will probably look for a site that tells that, and find this forum. They'll probably know about the beta patch too. So, the beta patch is almost public. Maybe that's what Terry thinks.
But the beta patch is already public, it's here after all!
Or do you mean released on Steam? I think this is because it's... well, a beta (though I still think the beta should, if nothing will happen, be released on steam and called 2.1 final, as it's more stable than 2.0 final).

Dav999

Quote from: FIQ on December 05, 2012, 09:48:07 PM
(though I still think the beta should, if nothing will happen, be released on steam and called 2.1 final, as it's more stable than 2.0 final).

That would work for the Windows version. ::)

FIQ

Quote from: Dav999 on December 05, 2012, 10:34:02 PM
Quote from: FIQ on December 05, 2012, 09:48:07 PM
(though I still think the beta should, if nothing will happen, be released on steam and called 2.1 final, as it's more stable than 2.0 final).

That would work for the Windows version. ::)
...and the linux one.

How come a mac build is missing anyway? There's a mac build for 2.0, and there weren't significant changes for 2.1 (that I know of), so why isn't it anything for it?

I feel sorry for mac users of VVVVVV :|

avengah

I think some of you have missed the point, I'm afraid. We were talking about the fact that there is, in fact, a version which isn't even available on this forum that is more stable than the 2.1 currently available. As has been stated before, some of the bugs listed as fixed in 2.1 are not actually fixed in 2.1; apparently, they are fixed in a later version that Terry or Simoroth has, but for some reason hasn't made public.

What we've been asking for is for this LATER version to become public (i.e. be linked to on here or something). I'm sure that would fix a lot of problems people have been having.

Remind me why people still bother with Macs when they're far less compatible? The same applies to Linux. It might be a better OS, but if it's incompatible with so much software then it doesn't matter.