Py6V -- Another VVVVVV Demake

Started by Grissess, October 25, 2011, 03:24:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grissess

Hello, guys! This'll be fun for a first post, I'll admit I've been lurking for a while, but I've been waiting to get this project actually decently ready before I made a post.

So, the name of the game is Py6V (in the comments it is called "Pythonic VVVVVV"); as the name implies you will need Python to run it (I'm using 2.6.1, but any of the 2.5 or later should work; get the most recent releases here: http://python.org/download/). Also, for the actual rendering part and a lot of support, I'm using pygame, which you can get here: http://pygame.org/download.shtml (remember to get a matching version to the Python you installed, probably 2.7!)

I understand this language barrier will probably deter more than a few people. Try to bear with me.

After all that is done, you can get the actual program and resources in this 16kb zip: http://nexusg.org:89/Grissess/Py6V/Py6V.zip (excuse our slow server). Use the batch files to run the most recent test script (test_char_geom.py); if you see an error printout, tell me about it, otherwise, enjoy the crappy little test field!

At this time I should point out it is in no way complete, but all the really hard stuff is mostly done. (Mostly.) I'd have waited even longer, until it was much better prepared, to post this, but I just wanted to give everyone a preview (and maybe the opportunity to get a few pointers :P ).

Enjoy!

Progress: Starting entity handling tomorrow, good night everyone...

jacobika

So I just downloaded this and tried it out.  I'm running Python 2.6.6 on a Debian Linux machine and the test worked once I edited character.py to switch the filename paths from backslashes to forward slashes.  What are your plans for this?  It looks nice.

Grissess

My plans? Right now, I want to get it as close to the look and feel of VVVVVV as I possibly can. After that happens, I would like to release it to the community, hopefully with a level editor, so the community can start making VVVVVV levels, much like Robson did with YYYYYY.

At the very end of its development life, it is possible to turn it into an .exe (but some other .zips need to be packaged with it), which should make it easier for other developers. But I'm not going to stop my work in Python; it supports multitudes of other packages, including things like native sockets (can you even imagine multiplayer VVVVVV?).

Also, sorry about the slashes! Yeah, I'm developing on Windows, and frankly I'm surprised the SDL works on Linux (neato). I'll continue to fix it up; I have more tests coming along...

Grissess

Hey again, sorry I've been a little inactive, I'm working on several things in addition to this, and I really can't do anything on weekends.

However, this project is turning out quite nicely. I've gotten it to the point where entities can exist now; moving platforms and animating obstacles appear to work fine (though the two tend to bounce off each other oddly). I have to fix a few bugs, then I'll put the new code in the fileserver (you can download it with the link in the OP).

Environments are now entirely implemented. The scrolling background has a weird bug that I'll be fixing shortly. An Environment will handle one "tile" of a map; only one will be loaded at a time (though I will possibly add "global entity" support). Now I have to actually implement maps; I'm thinking that the tiles and environment data (types of entities, geometry, images, etc.) will be stored in .xml files, and that an entire map will be a PK-ZIP .zip file. This adds opportunities for extensibility, as the .zip file can be populated with new entries to indicate expansions.

I have to admit; I'm not proud of this code. Maybe it's because I haven't done any real game development before this (and worked mostly with computer networking), but the code looks just a little...ugly, to me.

By the way, I'm also working on a surprise.  :viridian:

EDIT:

OK, I'm heading off to bed. New version's been uploaded, same link in the OP: http://nexusg.org:89/Grissess/Py6V/Py6V.zip . Still need to fix a few things; mysterious bugs in the physics (I know I'm totally doing it wrong), lagging physics hitboxes (they're rendered in gray), and platform-independence (that won't be too hard). Definitely gonna start level file format tomorrow. Good night.

Grissess

Wow, triple post...

Sorry about the lack of development for a little while; my cable modem died, and I couldn't get to the internet. Since all the pygame documentation is online, that presented a bit of a challenge.

Let it be known, however, that I continued working on that surprise :) . One part of it is complete, though I don't think I'll be satisfied with just one....

Anyhoo, I'm getting back to work. Here goes...