Beta patch for all major issues + Game pad support [Updated 03-Aug]

Started by simoroth, August 01, 2011, 11:34:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

simoroth

Current Beta patch for 2.1

Hi

Here are the latest patched beta executables for Windows and Linux. Please let us know if you encounter any problems or if it fixes the issues you have had.

Windows:
[coming soon]

Linux 32/64:
http://www.machinestudios.co.uk/VVVVVV/VVVVVV_Linux.tar.gz

Mac Os:
http://www.machinestudios.co.uk/VVVVVV/VVVVVV_MacOS.zip

Patch notes:

This is a beta for testing. I offer no warranty on these downloads.

Fixes:

Stuttering for some windows users fixed
Performance massively optimised
Editor crashes fixed
Multiple flip mode text fixes
Flip mode is disabled in the editor
Alt-tab is more usable
Mouse hiding is more intuitive.
Resolution settings are now properly saved.
Extra key bindings added.

Additions:

Game pad support!

Instructions:

Replace your current executable with the ones provided.

For OSX you will need to right-click on the .app and choose "show contents", navigate to the MacOS folder and place the file within it.

Yoshi348

I can say that at least on my system, it completely fixed the framerate issues. Great work!

EDIT: Erg, spoke too soon... it worked until I hit the first cutscene, and then it was back to the old slowdown. Even after I closed and reopened the game. Which... doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Arg.

(Windows XP, 3Ghz processor, 1 gig of memory, NVIDIA GeForce 6200)

simoroth

Quote from: Yoshi348 on August 02, 2011, 02:59:16 AM
I can say that at least on my system, it completely fixed the framerate issues. Great work!

EDIT: Erg, spoke too soon... it worked until I hit the first cutscene, and then it was back to the old slowdown. Even after I closed and reopened the game. Which... doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Arg.

(Windows XP, 3Ghz processor, 1 gig of memory, NVIDIA GeForce 6200)

Do you have any other programs running that might be using up your memory?

There is a new patch with further optimisations now. It may be of help.

Yoshi348

I have the steam version, so steam is open. mIRC is open but that's very small. I have skype open but not in a call, and I know that can be a resource hog, but closing it didn't help.

Again it was smooth the first time I ran the new patch, but only for a little while. Then it was only smooth when running in 1x windowed mode.

DHowett

Not sure if this is a new bug, but the game crashes when I try to play the intermissions from the menu :( It looks like a bug in music playing.
Segfault in SDL's Mix_FadeInMusic from VVVVVV's musicclass::play(int).
OS X 10.6.8 x86_64, VVVVVV 2.1 beta.

jarreboum

Linux link is missing the .gz part ;)

The problem with auto fullscreen is still here tho (don't know if you addressed it in this version.)

Let's give details: I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 netbook edition on a Eee901. My screen has a default resolution of 1024×600, which incidentally is my desktop resolution. When the resolution is set to
- fullscreen auto: the game switches to windowed with the window having the size of the previous (fullscreen) resolution used.
- fullscreen 1024×768: the game switches to windowed with the window having the size of 1024×768.

In both cases the game itself has a resolution of 320×240 in a corner of the window, the rest being filled with black.

About the pad: I tried with a standard USB four button pad (a NES RetroPad). I like not having up/down mapped to action in game, this was my main gripe with joy2key and the like. I've got a few bugs tho.

Buttons 1 2 and 3 are mapped to action, button 4 is apparently mapped to the Map menu  and action in the same time: pressed once it goes to the menu, pressed more it does nothing. When pressing Enter on the keyboard it goes back to the game with Viridian flipping. No button for M or Esc but it might be because of my own lack of buttons on my pad.

Mind you the pad works perfectly under Xp (didn't try VVVVVV itself) but I have yet to find a reliable way to test it on Ubuntu. Linux is notably unreliable when it comes to pads so maybe its a driver problem.

Ooh and when alt-tabbing from fullscreen, it swiches to windowed mode. Normal behaviour?

I tried with another pad, a USB Saturn-like with 9 buttons. Same as before for the first four buttons. Button 5 opens the Map Menu but again does not close it. Buttons 6, 7 and 9 do nothing, Button 8 gives the Esc Menu (and does not exit its own menu but its a general gameplay behaviour which i shall complain as Esc never exited its own menu. Minor I know but frustrating when you hit it by mistake and just want to hit it again to make it dissappear. Just like how Enter works. But I digress.)

Did you have the 360 pad in mind when elaborating the controls? I can't test one on this computer, support is not good on my distro. But I'm assuming that because it's the most widely used type of pad with Xinput and you used 8/Start for Esc. That would mean you put A,B, X for Action, Y and LT for Map Menu, and Start for Esc.

Silly bug with pads: in the Map Menu, Left and Right are inverted (keyboard is good). And in the Esc Menu you can navigate with left and right but not up and down.

Gamepads are noot supported in the level editor. This is understandable due to the nature of the editor but if you get in by mistake you have to grab the keyboard to get out. Maybe having every button mapped to show the editor menu so you can flee the editor?

Oh and USB hotswap is not supported, like for almost all the games in the world. No big deal but as I'm testing several pads I had to mention it.

May I insist on having the sound muted or significantly lowered when unfocused and/or using the esc Menu? The music is awesome and SoulEye did a great job but I' like not to share it when smeone is calling ;).

simoroth

Wow excellent reply. Thanks for all the info.

Yeah the pad binding was for xbox and ps3 style devices currently as they are the overwhelming marketshare (like 99.9%). We will support custom binding hopefully. :)

The game should mute and go into pause mode when minimised etc. This isnt happening for some reason. I'll look into it.

Think I fixed the game pad control issues in the menu. I may look into it if its still happening.

As for the full screen issue, its due to your graphics drivers not giving away the info they are supposed to. Intel should not be allowed to make graphics tech. Sadly we will have to find a workaround for you. :(

@DHowett looking into it thanks

@Yoshi348 weird. It may be something with your system eating up resources as the game itself should not change in the amount of ram/cpu it needs. (most of our cpu grunt goes to rescaling the frame to the screen, and thats a constant amount every frame.) I will however be putting out further optimisations so fingers crossed it will help you.

Sandthief

I am running the Linux version under Debian Wheezy (testing), with an Acer Aspire One netbook (model AOD255e). I replaced the executables with the patched ones, and now, I only reach the title screen before it stalls. Checking the console output, it reaches until the Joystick name line, which mentions my USB mouse receiver (Microsoft Nano Transceiver v2.0). After that line the game freezes, and no more output is displayed.

Please tell me what other information I can provide. Regards.

simoroth

Quote from: Sandthief on August 07, 2011, 02:08:37 AM
I am running the Linux version under Debian Wheezy (testing), with an Acer Aspire One netbook (model AOD255e). I replaced the executables with the patched ones, and now, I only reach the title screen before it stalls. Checking the console output, it reaches until the Joystick name line, which mentions my USB mouse receiver (Microsoft Nano Transceiver v2.0). After that line the game freezes, and no more output is displayed.

Please tell me what other information I can provide. Regards.

I've replicated this several times. Indeed I got stuck on it for several days. The problem is some devices on Linux flood the event handler with constant noisy input, stopping key presses etc from being picked up. The best I can suggest at the moment is to unplug the offending device or to see if it has updated drivers.

Sandthief

Quote from: simoroth on August 07, 2011, 02:54:14 AM
I've replicated this several times. Indeed I got stuck on it for several days. The problem is some devices on Linux flood the event handler with constant noisy input, stopping key presses etc from being picked up. The best I can suggest at the moment is to unplug the offending device or to see if it has updated drivers.

Disconnected the Transceiver, and so far, runs good.

Thanks for the quick response!

xTwoTails

The .zip  for Windows is asking me for a password owo
I haven't seen a "Password" in this whole topic.
Also, if I do get around that, what am I supposed to do with the .dev  file ?

"Replace your current executable with the one provided"
From the size it seems to be a Re-install?

Gosh, I feel like a rookie @@

Terry

Yikes! Looks like Simon changed that zip file to something else - I think it might be the debian package file! I'll send him an email so he can update it, sorry!

jarreboum

Ooh, does that mean we will have a nice deb installer? Cool.

Terry

Yep, hopefully :) I sent it off to the bundle guys a while ago, I'm sure they'll upload it soon.