A VVVVVV wiki and fansite

Started by TheDevilTesla, March 20, 2010, 08:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue626

"Bump"! It's between quotation marks because this is stickied (how is this spelt?), and thus, already on the first page. However, the last reply was 9 months ago.

The wiki doesn't tell much about VVVVVV 2.x, so I added some info about it, and since you apparently can't create new pages without an account, I created one (the username is the same as this one), however I only requested membership on the wiki later, since I could create new pages without being a member of the wiki.
Besides adding info about 2.x. (like user levels included in 2.0 and added in 2.1.beta and a link to the Levels board), I added and fixed some info about scripting in the "Script command reference" page. Somebody, apparently, copied the OP in the "some scripting commands" thread and pasted it on the page! Maybe it was the same person who created the thread...
I'm still going to edit and add some thing about this.
I also fixed some other things on other pages.

EDIT: Is it a good idea to talk about internal scripting? Somebody already mentioned music(9a), which is internal scripting, though that person also mentioned that it's not recommended to use it.

blue626

"Bump"! Is it a good idea to turn spoilers like how to get "Prize for the Reckless" white or is it better to let them stay black because it's a site where everything about VVVVVV is written? And...

Quote from: blue626 on October 05, 2012, 06:32:58 PM
EDIT: Is it a good idea to talk about internal scripting? Somebody already mentioned music(9a), which is internal scripting, though that person also mentioned that it's not recommended to use it.

I temporarily deleted the text about music(9a).

FIQ

Besides apparently liking Dimension Á (which had obvious internal scripting) and featuring Stalefish' level (the first level ever in the board which featured it, though very minimal), and telling people not to use the old 2.0 exploit found (possibly as 2.1 broke it), Terry hasn't really commented on internal scripting. Would be neat to at least get a "go for it", "I don't care", "please don't use it" or something from Terry, but as he apparently doesn't care, I guess it's fine to include it in the wiki.

Also, I don't see music(Na) as internal scripting.

allison

Quote from: FIQ on November 27, 2012, 10:34:35 PM
Besides apparently liking Dimension Á (which had obvious internal scripting) and featuring Stalefish' level (the first level ever in the board which featured it, though very minimal), and telling people not to use the old 2.0 exploit found (possibly as 2.1 broke it), Terry hasn't really commented on internal scripting. Would be neat to at least get a "go for it", "I don't care", "please don't use it" or something from Terry, but as he apparently doesn't care, I guess it's fine to include it in the wiki.

It's actually a very specific exploit that lets you use the play(x) command.

FIQ

Quote from: crazyal02 on November 27, 2012, 11:24:03 PM

Yeah, exactly, it's just simplified scripting used in unusual way.

blue626

I guess I should include a link to the "Internal commands" thread. Maybe I should create a new page, copy the 2nd post in that thread (if Dav999 doesn't mind) and amke a few adjustments, but for now there's only the link... Maybe I should just put the link.

I consider music(na) as int. scripting because it does an action only int. scripting could do, even if it's "irregular" simplified scripting.

allison

Quote from: FIQ on November 28, 2012, 03:05:54 PM

Same with the other internal scripting exploits

FIQ

Quote from: crazyal02 on December 02, 2012, 05:31:17 PM
Quote from: FIQ on November 28, 2012, 03:05:54 PM

Same with the other internal scripting exploits
The other internal scripting exploits uses quirks in the parser to get access to the internal scripting engine fully. Then, you're not doing simplified scripting anymore (aside from the say(N) you do every 5th line or similar), but "real" internal scripting. At least that's how I see on it :P

MegaBrutal

Not sure if you're all aware, but VVVVVV also has a TVtropes page! :)
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/VideoGame/VVVVVV

I didn't make it - though I did some minor edits. Though thanks to everyone who created and edited the page - TVtropes is awesome, and VVVVVV indeed deserves a great trope-analysis. ;)

If you're not aware, TVtropes is basically analyzing different kinds of media by recognizing different patterns, devices in actual works. (Though this is only a loose wording by me - it's easier if you check out the site, they describes themselves more much clearly and accurately.) My personal opinion is that the education of literature and media could be reformed if TVtropes (or the trope-based thinking it propagates) were to be used in schools. Though it's not the only way to analyze a work, but it's one of the most awesome methods, if you ask me.

allison

Quote from: MegaBrutal on March 18, 2013, 12:16:03 PM
Not sure if you're all aware, but VVVVVV also has a TVtropes page! :)
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/VideoGame/VVVVVV

I didn't make it - though I did some minor edits. Though thanks to everyone who created and edited the page - TVtropes is awesome, and VVVVVV indeed deserves a great trope-analysis. ;)

If you're not aware, TVtropes is basically analyzing different kinds of media by recognizing different patterns, devices in actual works. (Though this is only a loose wording by me - it's easier if you check out the site, they describes themselves more much clearly and accurately.) My personal opinion is that the education of literature and media could be reformed if TVtropes (or the trope-based thinking it propagates) were to be used in schools. Though it's not the only way to analyze a work, but it's one of the most awesome methods, if you ask me.

You fool!! Linking to TVtropes is like rickrolling someone, except it wastes a whole day!

blue626

Some questions I have about the wiki:
Quote from: blue626 on November 16, 2012, 07:04:20 PM
"Bump"! Is it a good idea to turn spoilers like how to get "Prize for the Reckless" white or is it better to let them stay black because it's a site where everything about VVVVVV is written?
I remembered about this question as the TVTropes page has all the spoilers white. Originally, none of the wiki's text was white...

Also, when writing numbers with decimal parts, should the separation between the integer part and the decimal part be a comma or a point? I think it's just a international difference...

Dav999

Quote from: blue626 on March 23, 2013, 06:48:11 PM
Also, when writing numbers with decimal parts, should the separation between the integer part and the decimal part be a comma or a point? I think it's just a international difference...

It's an international difference. A comma is more European, but in English-speaking countries, a point is used (in general).
So:

$1,000.00
£1,000.00
€1.000,00

Because the wiki is in English, it should be a "."

blue626

That was fast!

By the way, I already had asked in the wiki discussions (around 15 days ago) and I didn't get a reply yet. Also, I asked there before I heard that it's an international difference. I asked this because I wrote all those numbers with a comma, and then a person replaced all those commas with points (or dots?).

Quote from: blue626 on March 23, 2013, 06:48:11 PM
Quote from: blue626 on November 16, 2012, 07:04:20 PM
"Bump"! Is it a good idea to turn spoilers like how to get "Prize for the Reckless" white or is it better to let them stay black because it's a site where everything about VVVVVV is written?
I remembered about this question as the TVTropes page has all the spoilers white. Originally, none of the wiki's text was white...

I think I'll just leave al the references to the Secret Lab black, as there's a page for it and all the other spoilers (like the one mentioned in the quote inside the quote) white. I think that's how it is now...

Dav999

Quote from: blue626 on March 23, 2013, 10:54:36 PM
That was fast!

Well, I'm certainly not as fast as 1810 posts per day, like you say in your personal text ;)

(I know it's a decimal comma, but it was very fitting here because it says '1,810')

blue626

Quote from: Dav999 on March 23, 2013, 11:26:59 PM
Quote from: blue626 on March 23, 2013, 10:54:36 PM
That was fast!

Well, I'm certainly not as fast as 1810 posts per day, like you say in your personal text ;)

(I know it's a decimal comma, but it was very fitting here because it says '1,810')

Heh, good one. :D Replaced with a dot and updated it.
(I didn't notice the white text until I quoted it!).
Okay, this is off-topic enough. Let's leave the thread as it is as I don't have anything on-topic to say.