Is it just me, or is VVVVVV 2.1 not on steam for linux?

Started by aLaserShark, April 23, 2013, 03:48:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aLaserShark

I've only got VVVVVV 2.0 on my linux machine, not 2.1 (via steam). No idea why. Tried downloading the beta patch, got a few missing libraries.

Before anyone asks:

A) Yes, it's definitely 2.0. Version in the bottom-right corner says so. Version in the corner never lies.
B) I do sort of need VVVVVV 2.1, i'm doing a lot of level editing and maps would be really appreciated
C) The beta patch says i'm missing a few libraries...Will download if necessary though
D) Distro is crunchbang. Yes, steam isn't *officially* compatible with crunchbang but it's a debian based distro like ubuntu is so you can go deal with it

If I do manage to get 2.1 through any means I plan on releasing a few maps soon...not sure about the community though. It seems a little dead. :P

UberHacker

Well, when I tried to upgrade 2.1 for Linux (I use Ubuntu), I also got library errors. I just went to the packages website and downloaded the ones I needed. Let me know if you need more info. :)

aLaserShark

Yeah but the steam version isn't at 2.1 at all. The version in the steam repositories or whatever appears to be 2.0. I suppose I could download it from the humble bundle website, is that at 2.1?

Edit: The file from humble bundle says "2.01", I'm going to cross my fingers that it is, in fact, vvvvvv 2.1

Edit edit: Nope. But it does give a pretty awesome ASCII  :viridian: whenever i start it, so that's a plus. I guess.

UberHacker

Just download it from here: http://distractionware.com/forum/index.php?topic=693.0 Then replace your current VVVVVV executable with it.

P.S. The ASCII :viridian: is pure epic. You can also see it on Mac if you run it from the Terminal.

FIQ

Quote from: UberHacker on April 23, 2013, 05:48:40 PM
Just download it from here: http://distractionware.com/forum/index.php?topic=693.0 Then replace your current VVVVVV executable with it.

P.S. The ASCII :viridian: is pure epic. You can also see it on Mac if you run it from the Terminal.
Windows does that too if you use a terminal emulator which output stdout properly (read: something else than CMD). :P

2.01 is there for some stability fixes afaik, but as you saw, it's still called 2.0 there.
2.1 is a beta so that's why it isn't released on steam/HIB. :P

aLaserShark

Apparently it's a FINAL beta, as seen in the topic title of that post :P