Author Topic: My 1st level: The Jaunt.  (Read 13478 times)

Flushex

• Professor
    • View Profile
My 1st level: The Jaunt.
« on: October 21, 2012, 11:22:05 pm »
I'll give a brief description of my level.

Story: Your friend Victor has entered the Jaunt in a quest to discover it's mysteries. You know something has happened to him, so you jump in after him in order to save him. As you explore the Jaunt, you find progress entries that Victor has made and left throughout the Jaunt. The farther in you get and the more entries you read, it becomes increasingly clear that something has gone terribly wrong with Victor...

Length: It's relatively short to medium sized. There are 25 rooms.

Difficulty: I think the level is challenging, but I wanted to make it fair in some ways to compensate, e.g., there are a lot of checkpoints. I would say it is easier than Golden Spiral but harder than the main game (but easier than veni vidi vici).

Style: Each room is it's own self-contained challenge (for the most part). You can't really backtrack to previous rooms, but you won't need to. It is not a maze, so you will always know which way to go (again, for the most part). There are only three trinkets. I have played through the map several times, and I think I have caught most of the glaring bugs, but of course it is possible some have alluded me.

Disclaimer: I finished this map before I started heavily browsing the forums, so unfortunately, I was unaware of the single tile walls being frowned upon  :-[. Sorry about that, but I did try my best to make things not look ugly otherwise.

So please play the level. Point out any bugs and please give me feedback and/or general advice. I hope you enjoy!

Some screenshots:

Version 1.0: downloaded once
Version 1.1: Various bug fixes, fixed a wall glitch. Downloaded twice
Version 1.2: Forgot to take out a testing checkpoint, fixed it. Downloaded 6 times
Version 1.3: Made several tweaks to make the level easier. Downloaded 14 times.
Version 1.4: Updated using Direct mode in various rooms, fixed trinket difficulty.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 03:11:10 am by Flushex »

Dav999

• Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • View Profile
    • The Open Level Project
Re: My level: The Jaunt. Tough but fair.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 08:39:43 pm »
Wow. Not even a single download in two days! :o

I'll play it tomorrow!

Flushex

• Professor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 09:00:19 pm »
Awesome! Thank you.

SomniRespiratory Flux

• Doctor
  • Outside the soundness of your mind...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 11:43:00 pm »
I think he updated it after I downloaded it... I went and downloaded it after it was initially posted. I'm sorry I didn't say anything, I only just made my account.
I'm about halfway through it, maybe. (Up to Cavern Entrance, at the moment.) So far, I've only seen a few things that bug me, and some of the rooms are fairly
clever. Once I finish, I'll post some more detailed thoughts. So far though, it's pretty good.

Also, first post! :viridian: If that counts for anything. ::)

Flushex

• Professor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 12:03:18 am »
I think he updated it after I downloaded it... I went and downloaded it after it was initially posted. I'm sorry I didn't say anything, I only just made my account.
I'm about halfway through it, maybe. (Up to Cavern Entrance, at the moment.) So far, I've only seen a few things that bug me, and some of the rooms are fairly
clever. Once I finish, I'll post some more detailed thoughts. So far though, it's pretty good.

Also, first post! :viridian: If that counts for anything. ::)

I'm glad you are enjoying it! Yes, I have done some significant updates since I initially posted the level. I would have mentioned this, except I was unaware anyone had downloaded it. I understand if you wouldn't want to redownload the newest version, because it would be frustrating to replay some of those rooms, but it is more polished, and there's a story now. I look forward to hearing your full thoughts and feedback!

Edit: On second thought, maybe your save would still work on the updated version? The save files are in a different folder from the levels after all.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 12:11:05 am by Flushex »

SomniRespiratory Flux

• Doctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 12:34:34 am »

I'm glad you are enjoying it! Yes, I have done some significant updates since I initially posted the level. I would have mentioned this, except I was unaware anyone had downloaded it. I understand if you wouldn't want to redownload the newest version, because it would be frustrating to replay some of those rooms, but it is more polished, and there's a story now. I look forward to hearing your full thoughts and feedback!

Edit: On second thought, maybe your save would still work on the updated version? The save files are in a different folder from the levels after all.

No problem. If the updates changed anything significant about the gameplay or room design, I might go ahead and replay it. With my luck, you've already fixed half the problems I found, and then I'd just sound silly.  :verdigris:
Most of my points about the rooms had to do with things looking weird, and not just single-tile walls. There were some places that have really unnecessary
walls like that, but what bothered me more was some of the room transitions. In particular, Falling Into Place had some strange happenings with the walls.
The only gameplay-related problem I've noticed is that sometimes moving platforms and enemies that bounce around rooms sometimes seem more random than others. Most places
there's enough of a pattern to things that I can see it, so it isn't a huge deal, and when (if?) there isn't, I couldn't help you much, and the room would probably be too easy if it was "fixed".
Who knows?

And yes, my avatar was made in the span of about ten minutes in Paint for the purpose of having one. I'm not much of a visual artist.  :-X

Flushex

• Professor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 12:59:07 am »
Haha, well I don't even have an avatar 8). (This isn't actually true anymore)

I can't remember how much has changed since the original post gameplay wise TBH, but I would say it's nothing super significant. I would still recommend you get the update for the rooms you still have left though. Yes I have tweaked the walls on Falling into Place, because they were a little weird.  I know sometimes the enemies are a little weird, but I playtested several times to make sure there were no glaring issues with them.

I also, fully expect to change the level based on all the feedback I get. So I'm sure there are still things you won't be crazy about with this version too.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 05:02:16 am by Flushex »

SomniRespiratory Flux

• Doctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 01:08:19 am »
It's cool. Falling into Place was the only thing that really seemed bad to me at first. I'll go ahead and download the new version. There were a few rooms I had trouble with, but for the most part I figure I can make it back through them. And I might as well have the newest version of the rest to comment on. And don't worry too much about it. I've had some level ideas for a while, but I can't even think of enough room ideas to start them. So even having a level to post is better than I can claim at the moment.

Flushex

• Professor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 01:19:10 am »
Well awesome, thanks for play testing it for me. Report back the details of things you still don't like too.

SomniRespiratory Flux

• Doctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 01:37:28 am »
Made it mostly back through to where I was. Not quite there yet, but up to Conveying Frustration. The entry to Falling into Place is better, but the room still glitches a bit. I think it would probably be a good idea to put a wall on the left side of the room where there isn't a way onward. Trying to leave through the large area just glitches  :viridian: back to Over and Under due to there not being an opening in the next room over. I also found myself entering Falling into Place early on occasion from the left side of Spice of Life. I think the vertical wrapping gets confused if the entrances on each side aren't lined up perfectly, and entering where it would put you in a wall on the bottom simply continues you on to the next room going up. Other than that, at the end of Wait for it, there's a spike floating in nothing that may or may not have been there before. The left side of the gravity line at the top left of the room ends at a spike that has no direct contact with the walls of the room. Maybe I just didn't notice it before?

Flushex

• Professor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 01:50:50 am »
No, you are right, that stuff shouldn't be there! I'll fix all of that now and reupload the map with the changes. I knew I couldn't catch everything myself. Keep em coming!

Edit: As to the issue of the left side of spice of life, I'm not sure why that happens, because there is definitely a warp line there. I have though occasionally experienced the same problem :victoria:, so who knows.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 02:11:47 am by Flushex »

Dav999

• Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • View Profile
    • The Open Level Project
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 06:44:15 pm »
Uhm... Have you tested 'Flippity Floppity Flu' and 'Timeliness'? The first 5 times I tried to enter 'Timeliness', I just kept getting stuck! :victoria:

Flushex

• Professor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 07:08:08 pm »
Uhm... Have you tested 'Flippity Floppity Flu' and 'Timeliness'? The first 5 times I tried to enter 'Timeliness', I just kept getting stuck! :victoria:

Yes, I have.  :victoria: Sorry, that shouldn't be happening. I just went and rechecked it and it works fine for me. Stuck how?

FIQ

• Captain
  • https://github.com/FredrIQ/
    • View Profile
    • FIQ
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 07:13:40 pm »
Conveying Frustration renders you stuck if you take the second checkpoint and die.

Flushex

• Professor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 07:20:26 pm »
Conveying Frustration renders you stuck if you take the second checkpoint and die.

Really? That has never happened to me, and I've played through the map several times (and died many times). Could this be because I'm using 2.0?