Valiant Ventures [V1.4]

Started by Durrbill, April 05, 2016, 03:45:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Durrbill

Hello! Now, I do understand this is my first post on this forum, but this isn't the place for introductions.
Instead, I'd like to present my first custom level, Valiant Ventures!

As always, Viridian and his crew are sent off to some odd dimension.

FEATURES:
-A large open world, separate from the levels, as in the main game.
-6 different levels to explore.
-Trinkets. Lots of them.
-Quite a few little Easter Eggs.
-Lots of interaction between the characters
-Different dialogue, based on who you save first (pretty much just with  :vitellary: in a few spots)
-Playing as a different character at a certain point
-The general difficulty of the level starts of very easily, but gets much tougher later on.

There isn't much internal scripting, however, as I'm still pretty foggy on that topic.

SCREENSHOTS:
http://i.imgur.com/CPkPHLq.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/RHGvbKP.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/8r1xW0d.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Q89bhSA.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/QFpAz2c.jpg

NOTES:
This level, while complete, may still have a few bugs. I tested it myself, and fixed any I found, but I'm not the greatest playtester.
If you happen to find anything major, please let me know, and I'll have it fixed as soon as possible.

The point in which you "switch characters" is a bit.. off par, and I'm aware of that. I have yet to find a way to improve it.

DO NOT LET THE "Crewmates Remaining" COUNT MISLEAD YOU.  In fact, for this level, I recommend you ignore it.

(Also, you should start off in the room "Ventilation", in case you happen to start anywhere else.)

A changelog is in the .zip you download.

moth 🦋

Hello Durrbill! I've seen you on the VVVVVV steam group!

I'll get to playing this as soon as I can.

i don't use this site anymore, please don't look at my posts

That Souleye Crewmate

Hey Durbill, welcome to the forums.
Greetings aside, here's a review for this level!

Ok, right at the beginning section, the checkpoints aren't placed properly. I made this mistake once, but there's a way to flip the checkpoints upside down.

UNLESS it's just some kind of texture fucking up cause i've never seen this kind of checkpoint before... if it is, then nevermind that.
One thing i gotta  mention: the checkpoints need to be placed in SAFE spots to prevent spam-dying.
Plus, i know it's the start of the game, but trinkets need to be harder to get, ya know? Put some hazards in the first trinket room.
Also, one tile blocks. Don't use 'em. Even if you're trying to immitate like a spread or a swarm of blocks; don't.
The moving platforms in Ventilation can push you off to Breaker Room.
(oh, by the way, accidental reference or not, "The Flipside"
awesome)
And hey.
Single spikes floating on gravity lines aren't acceptable either.
Anyway, that's all i can take right now, i'll get to playing the whole level later. Be sure to fix these issues though!

Durrbill

Quote from: That Souleye Crewmate on April 05, 2016, 07:41:01 PM
Hey Durbill, welcome to the forums.
Greetings aside, here's a review for this level!

Ok, right at the beginning section, the checkpoints aren't placed properly. I made this mistake once, but there's a way to flip the checkpoints upside down.

UNLESS it's just some kind of texture fucking up cause i've never seen this kind of checkpoint before... if it is, then nevermind that.
One thing i gotta  mention: the checkpoints need to be placed in SAFE spots to prevent spam-dying.
Plus, i know it's the start of the game, but trinkets need to be harder to get, ya know? Put some hazards in the first trinket room.
Also, one tile blocks. Don't use 'em. Even if you're trying to immitate like a spread or a swarm of blocks; don't.
The moving platforms in Ventilation can push you off to Breaker Room.
(oh, by the way, accidental reference or not, "The Flipside"
awesome)
And hey.
Single spikes floating on gravity lines aren't acceptable either.
Anyway, that's all i can take right now, i'll get to playing the whole level later. Be sure to fix these issues though!

I fixed up the things you mentioned, single floating spikes, etc. I couldn't find any checkpoints that were flipped improperly, however. In the editor, or in-game.
The first trinket now has a challenge. Lemme know if you find anything else later in the level.

Lollipop

i don't use this site anymore, please don't look at my posts

Quote from: Lollipop on April 05, 2016, 09:57:34 PM
Welcome to Distractionware!

a place of fun, and creativity, where everybody is nice, like Info Teddy!
a place where VVVVVV levels are submitted!

Bruce Michez

Some people aren't going to like the occasional single-tiled walls.  Also, there is a way to do a quick internal script (eg. to change the player's colour) without cutscene bars - the "iftrinkets(0,x)"/"A)say" method.

More seriously, "WJSJEJBO TVDDFTTGVM. NPWF UP WJPMFU." appears to be impossible as you've accidentally superimposed two vertical gravity lines, which cancel each other out.  And at the end, you can't actually get stars next to this level as there's no way to rescue :verdigris: in the first area.  Again, there's a convenient internal script you could use to display a non-rescuable :verdigris: there.

QwertymanO07

Another thing: since you already broke the fourth wall, you might as well have put a warp token back to the hub, resetting any flags if necessary.

Durrbill

Quote from: Weird Shadow Machine on April 05, 2016, 11:20:08 PM
Some people aren't going to like the occasional single-tiled walls.  Also, there is a way to do a quick internal script (eg. to change the player's colour) without cutscene bars - the "iftrinkets(0,x)"/"A)say" method.

More seriously, "WJSJEJBO TVDDFTTGVM. NPWF UP WJPMFU." appears to be impossible as you've accidentally superimposed two vertical gravity lines, which cancel each other out.  And at the end, you can't actually get stars next to this level as there's no way to rescue :verdigris: in the first area.  Again, there's a convenient internal script you could use to display a non-rescuable :verdigris: there.

I've fixed up that room with the two vertical grav lines. Verdigris is rescueable, you just need to find the "switch" mentioned during his dialogue, then return to his room.

Quote from: QwertymanO07 on April 05, 2016, 11:52:29 PM
Another thing: since you already broke the fourth wall, you might as well have put a warp token back to the hub, resetting any flags if necessary.
By this, do you mean from the end of the level back to the outside area? If so, I could quickly add that in.

Fussmatte

Hi!

I like this level, though my only real issue is that script boxes repeat when you leave the room and come back, even when it's between you and a crewmate you already rescued. You can fix this with flags; you can look for a scripting tutorial about that on the forum.

Durrbill

Quote from: Doormat on April 06, 2016, 12:23:05 AM
Hi!

I like this level, though my only real issue is that script boxes repeat when you leave the room and come back, even when it's between you and a crewmate you already rescued. You can fix this with flags; you can look for a scripting tutorial about that on the forum.
Fixed.

Fussmatte

You didn't seem to fix it, at least in some parts. The script when you first see Victoria, for example, still repeats, and the script that runs before you rescue her doesn't run at all.

Durrbill

Quote from: Doormat on April 06, 2016, 12:58:13 AM
You didn't seem to fix it, at least in some parts. The script when you first see Victoria, for example, still repeats, and the script that runs before you rescue her doesn't run at all.

The script when first seeing Victoria was fixed.

The one right before you rescue her didn't really have a problem with it, just with saves and flags. By updating the map, yet still having the save, I think the flags reset. The script that's run to activate a few flags(required to activate any dialogues) is at the start of the map. So starting later in the level via checkpoint save will have all the flags set to be off. That's my theory anyway, because it worked fine for me when testing just now.

tl;dr: updating the map resets the flags, and the flags are turned normally on at the start. but you started later from a save.

Fussmatte

I don't think I did. I opened the level with the editor to see if the problems were fixed. It could be because I skipped ahead, but I'm not for sure.