Dimension ABCDE2

Started by lamourieparkinson, June 24, 2016, 09:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lamourieparkinson

Also known as ABCDEF squared.

This is a work in progress level I'm making. It is a sequel to Dimension ABCDEF. I won't be posting a download link, as it technically hasn't been made yet.

QwertymanO07

Quote from: lamourieparkinson on June 24, 2016, 09:01:17 PMI won't be posting a download link, as it technically hasn't been made yet.
You probably should have waited for this to be false before posting.

LafondaSaysMeow

Here are some tips for your next level.

Your past two levels didn't have much dialogue. Try to make the conversations a bit larger. Just go with the flow.

Try to use more of your space on the map. You have a 20x20 space! Even if you need to make a second outside, then do it!

Try to use some internal scripting. Even if it is just raising the alarm on an off, it is still there. Now, this is the one thing you don't have to do, seeing that you'd probably be confused, but at least try. Ved does make internal scripting much easier too...

Try testing your levels a bit more, since I saw a few misalignments and out of bounds areas in your previous levels, and a few repeating scripts. When I make an area, I test it multiple times to see if everything works and goes the way I expect it to. And like I said already, just go with the flow.

Now, here is something that is probably the most important.
Try to be original.
I don't know if you will take this as offense, but your past levels, well, they lacked originality. The story, some of the level design (which is why I wanted you to refrain from DTTHW clones.) Don't just make:
:viridian:: "Oh! This is a new dimension! I must explore!"
or:
:viridian:: "Oh no! My crew has been separated! I must find them!"
Expand in a new variety of things.
Even if it is a new gimmick with gravity lines or platforms, just think of something. These tips will make your level a lot better.  :)

lamourieparkinson

Quote from: LafondaSaysMeow on June 24, 2016, 11:01:46 PM
Here are some tips for your next level.

Your past two levels didn't have much dialogue. Try to make the conversations a bit larger. Just go with the flow.

Try to use more of your space on the map. You have a 20x20 space! Even if you need to make a second outside, then do it!

Try to use some internal scripting. Even if it is just raising the alarm on an off, it is still there. Now, this is the one thing you don't have to do, seeing that you'd probably be confused, but at least try. Ved does make internal scripting much easier too...

Try testing your levels a bit more, since I saw a few misalignments and out of bounds areas in your previous levels, and a few repeating scripts. When I make an area, I test it multiple times to see if everything works and goes the way I expect it to. And like I said already, just go with the flow.

Now, here is something that is probably the most important.
Try to be original.
I don't know if you will take this as offense, but your past levels, well, they lacked originality. The story, some of the level design (which is why I wanted you to refrain from DTTHW clones.) Don't just make:
:viridian:: "Oh! This is a new dimension! I must explore!"
or:
:viridian:: "Oh no! My crew has been separated! I must find them!"
Expand in a new variety of things.
Even if it is a new gimmick with gravity lines or platforms, just think of something. These tips will make your level a lot better.  :)

Here are a couple of things I'll tell you about the level:

- This level is actually somewhat original in terms of story.
- Sorry, but you're too late. I already made a DTTHW clone.
- There are more terminals and dialogue now.
- Here's something you didn't see in ABCDEF and EEEEEE: A Gravitron!

LafondaSaysMeow

Here is something I really notice in your levels.
You never give an explanation as to why your rescuing your people.
Just because it is a new dimension (or in this case, the same dimension), you wouldn't be rescuing your crew (as seen in "Not Trapped")
Try to make your intros longer. Most people just put a line at the start, but that usually doesn't explain why the whole crew is stranded. (Oh and look! It repeats itself.)
Oh, and you kind of still are not following my originality idea. Some of the story is original, but have you ever played Switchback or VTTF?

(Oh, and one last request. PLEASE put a checkpoint in one of the "Trapped?" rooms. I almost had to resort to invincibility to get past it, and that is not good.)

lamourieparkinson

Quote from: LafondaSaysMeow on June 25, 2016, 03:45:36 PM
Here is something I really notice in your levels.
You never give an explanation as to why your rescuing your people.
Just because it is a new dimension (or in this case, the same dimension), you wouldn't be rescuing your crew (as seen in "Not Trapped")
Try to make your intros longer. Most people just put a line at the start, but that usually doesn't explain why the whole crew is stranded. (Oh and look! It repeats itself.)
Oh, and you kind of still are not following my originality idea. Some of the story is original, but have you ever played Switchback or VTTF?

(Oh, and one last request. PLEASE put a checkpoint in one of the "Trapped?" rooms. I almost had to resort to invincibility to get past it, and that is not good.)

About the repeating rooms... it's like that on purpose. It's like Deja Verdigris, where you have the same room with a couple of changes, and in the case of "Trapped?" it's almost just hazard additions.

The reason why you are rescuing your crew, is because while the ship was on the way to your home dimension, you suddenly crashed back here and your entire crew, once again, got stranded everywhere.

And about the originality, remember, this is supposed to take place BEFORE VTTF, which is why, in the full version, Viridian says he has no idea who Vertigo is, and in VTTF, he knows him right from the start.

And no, I haven't played Switchback. And VTTF almost forced me to use invincibility.

And about the checkpoint...
Sigh...
I only put a checkpoint in the last Trapped room (Not Trapped!) because, well I've tested it, and the entire Trapped? set of levels only took me six tries. You just need more practice with that area.

LafondaSaysMeow

Quote from: lamourieparkinson on June 25, 2016, 08:07:16 PM
About the repeating rooms... it's like that on purpose. It's like Deja Verdigris, where you have the same room with a couple of changes, and in the case of "Trapped?" it's almost just hazard additions.
I wasn't talking about the rooms...
I was talking about the script at the start.....

The reason why you are rescuing your crew, is because while the ship was on the way to your home dimension, you suddenly crashed back here and your entire crew, once again, got stranded everywhere.
Then put that in the intro...

And no, I haven't played Switchback.
Then play it. Because Vertigo is in it too.

Sigh...
I only put a checkpoint in the last Trapped room (Not Trapped!) because, well I've tested it, and the entire Trapped? set of levels only took me six tries. You just need more practice with that area.
Test it again... it took me at least 75 tries (in a span of about half an hour)

lamourieparkinson

Quote from: LafondaSaysMeow on June 25, 2016, 09:12:09 PM
I wasn't talking about the rooms...
I was talking about the script at the start.....

Then put that in the intro...

And no, I haven't played Switchback.
Then play it. Because Vertigo is in it too.

Sigh...
Test it again... it took me at least 75 tries (in a span of about half an hour)

For the testing on the Trapped? rooms, it took me 28 tries maximum and THREE tries minimum.

I am too lazy to put the story in the intro. I'll stick with one line of dialogue at the beginning, thank you very much.

Sorry, but I'm not using flag commands. So you'll just have to get used to the repeating scripts.

And lastly, does Switchback take place before or after VTTF?

Ally 🌠

Quote from: LafondaSaysMeow on June 26, 2016, 07:42:42 PM
Good levels take blood
you should get that checked out
Quote from: LafondaSaysMeow on June 26, 2016, 07:42:42 PM
I'm creating cutscenes with OVER 500 LINES of scripting.
*Internal scripting, which is way harder.

LafondaSaysMeow

lamourieparkinson

Alright, this level's just more than halfway finished. I should have it released between mid-July and early August.

SJMistery

MAN. the game whent HPshit when i completed the gravitron!! Did you remeber to include warp walls on the room right below?

lamourieparkinson

Quote from: SJMistery on June 29, 2016, 09:51:18 AM
MAN. the game whent HPshit when i completed the gravitron!! Did you remeber to include warp walls on the room right below?

That's just a little glitch. It only happens sometimes, but most of the time, you complete the Gravitron normally.

Ally 🌠

That means you didn't do it right.

lamourieparkinson

Seriously. I tested it out, and 15% of the time, the game went crazy and the other 85%, nothing happened.