Mog-Y fears the lYght
Y not?
Y of course!
Y indeed.

And..... saving the best for last...

Stop Y-ning!

(Said with Schwarzenegger accent...)

Quote from: Robson on May 20, 2010, 12:29:51 PM
These are awesome! "The Cake is a Y" is an instant winner :viridian: Here's a couple more:

Y me?
Y GOD Y!!
If a first you don't succeed, Y, Y again
Y in the sky
Ys guy
Do It Y
I spy, with my little eye, something beginning with Y
The Y Zone
Good Y
Give me a Y
Word to the Ys
Y? Y would you do that?!?

Great ideas! Thanks! I knew that "cake is a Y" would be a winner. It's also a pie.

Edit: My first room will be called "so close, yet so far" where you are separated from the warp that takes you to the final room by a wall, and thus you must loop around the whole Gauntlet. :vermillion:

Shasharala

I like the idea of that first room.  :viridian:
I look forward to playing "The Gauntlet", arcticwolf15.

Robson

New development version has been released!

Most of these changes were suggested by Terry and Shasharala. Thanks guys!

YYYYYY

* Super Cellulatron now has occassional sparse sections.
* Game speed changed from 85 milliseconds to 80 milliseconds. Also added a setting to the settings.ini file, which allows you to change the game speed (faster or slower).
* If the campaign is too big to be saved as a picture, the game will show an error message and allow you to continue, instead of crashing.
* The game no longer says "Your progress has been saved" when you exit a video.
* Now possible to modify the ending message on a campaign. Instead of "You have rescued [name]!" you can have whatever you want. This is done by writing #END=Your ending message into the layout.txt file.
* The player will be displayed as pqdb instead of @, because it's easier to understand.
* Decided not to include any music. Instead I've provided music recommendations: Souleye and Josiah Tobin. Several reasons for this:
   * There's only one music track, so it would get very repetitive.
   * The music takes up 55% of the total file size, so removing it will make downloading a lot easier.
   * I'm not sure if I could include the music on SourceForge, because it's not open source.
* Summary map detail is reduced when there's 64+ rooms. This significantly speeds up map drawing and there's no need to have it super-detailed when there's so many rooms.
* Combined the readme and videos text files into a html readme file.

Level Editor

* Swapped some of the mouse commands:
      Middle-click + Shift: Show menu of level types
      Right-click: Set the drawing square to the clicked square
      Right-click + Shift: Show menu of draw items
* Clicking the "Drawing: [Tile Name]" shows the menu of draw items
* You can press 1 to 5 to select that tool in the toolbar
* Added a Flip menu, which allows you to flip the level horizontally or vertically

allen

Just played it and Super Cellulatron was real fun.

Are you going to keep the sounds as is, or are you going to make new sounds?

Robson

Quote from: allen on May 27, 2010, 01:18:11 AM
Just played it and Super Cellulatron was real fun.

Are you going to keep the sounds as is, or are you going to make new sounds?
Thanks allen :viridian:

Definitely keeping the sounds - I like them a lot!

arcticwolf15

5 day weekend, so I'm probably gonna get some work done on Gauntlet. Also, it would be nice if we could make room names that shift like in VVVVVV. Like I could make the room Testing change to Testyng and back again.

The Brass

General:

Cellulatron: I'd have preferred more points, like one point per a row of chatacters. Just like the gravitron, where every hundreth of a second counts.

Music doesn't loop until I get a souvenir?

Map exportation requires a progress indicator

Jailbreak:

Explanation: the blue teleporter is hard to see from the blue ground.

Detour: this "puzzle" still sucks. It's impossible to see where the wave goes, so it's only about hitting left randomly and hoping you make it. Maybe the red is to blame, you need the wave to move forwards in order for you to move forward with it, but the reds don't move and make this confusing.

Now what? Terminal is messy

PARTIAL SIDE WARPS "%ยค#E&/)

Teleporter fork is a cheap trick

arcticwolf15

Hater. I don't have problems with these things.

Robson

Quote from: arcticwolf15 on May 28, 2010, 05:05:37 PM
5 day weekend, so I'm probably gonna get some work done on Gauntlet. Also, it would be nice if we could make room names that shift like in VVVVVV. Like I could make the room Testing change to Testyng and back again.
I must have missed that in VVVVVV - which room does that? Do you mean the room name changes all the time while you are in that room? Or maybe the room name changes when you return to the room?

Quote from: The Brass on May 31, 2010, 07:48:39 AM
Cellulatron: I'd have preferred more points, like one point per a row of chatacters. Just like the gravitron, where every hundreth of a second counts.

Music doesn't loop until I get a souvenir?

Map exportation requires a progress indicator
Hey The Brass! I was worried that you'd vanished. Did you get my private message with the campaign?

First and third suggestions sound good to me - I'll get them sorted. For the second suggestion, the music is being removed, so that's no longer an issue.

Quote from: The Brass on May 31, 2010, 07:48:39 AM
Jailbreak:

Explanation: the blue teleporter is hard to see from the blue ground.
This one is really for me, because the room colour is decided randomly by the game. I'll try to figure something out, like making the game check for teleports, then ensuring the wall colour doesn't conflict.

Quote from: arcticwolf15 on May 31, 2010, 07:03:37 PM
Hater. I don't have problems with these things.
I agree with The Brass's points, so I'll try to explain them in my own way (spoiler: that means longer!)

Detour:

I like that it's optional and that the name clearly shows it's optional. I also like the natural progression from the canteen to the detour, because these are similar puzzles, with the difficulty increasing as the game progresses. However, I agree with The Brass, that it's much too difficult for the campaign, because it's exponentially more difficult than the second hardest room. It's a difficulty spike. The player isn't given enough opportunity to build up their skills to a point where they can tackle this level of difficulty. Dying seems unavoidable and random.

I'd suggest making it like my version from a few pages ago, with reduced difficulty, more checkpoints, and a much higher room allowing the lines to go up higher. This maintains the waving, whilst making the challenge realistic and fair.

Partial side wrap:

This is an issue that I also encountered in my test levels. There's no way to tell if an edge wraps or leads somewhere else (maybe I should change that in the game?). So if part of the edge wraps and a part doesn't, that's going to be confusing for the player. They will naturally assume that the entire edge wraps or doesn't wrap, depending on their first encounter with the edge.

I assume The Brass is talking about the first room. I like to make the first room as easy as possible, because it's people's first experience with the game. If they're overwhelmed with objects and danger and confusion, they're probably going to quit and play something else. In my opinion, the first room should be completely safe, allowing the player to learn the movement controls. The first level of VVVVVV is an excellent example of this. If Terry does something, we can be sure it's right :viridian:

Teleporter:

I disliked the original teleporter fork as well, which is the reason why I changed it with all my edits. If it was my level I'd have removed it entirely, but I wanted to keep your idea intact. Taking the teleporter moves you past the gate, so the player misses the feeling of freedom from escaping through the gate. They then see a souvenir above them, so would flip back up, returning to the prison just seconds after they've escaped. It seems counter-ummm... whatever the appropriate word is.

Perhaps the solution is to remove the room with the teleporter, then move all the other rooms up by one. So that 'Lost in space station' links with the main gate. The horizontally flip the main gate.

arcticwolf15

Quote from: Robson on June 02, 2010, 10:49:37 PM
Quote from: arcticwolf15 on May 28, 2010, 05:05:37 PM
I must have missed that in VVVVVV - which room does that? Do you mean the room name changes all the time while you are in that room? Or maybe the room name changes when you return to the room?

Go to the room "The Untouchables" and look at the B. No, don't look, STARE AT IT! Some others in the last level do it too. You'll see what I mean

The teleporter fork removal is a good idea. Random room. RAGEQUIT would be fine without movement, because you enter it through a teleporter. I've got homework, so you can fix that if you want, or leave it to me and give me MORE campaign work to do. :(

Robson

Quote from: arcticwolf15 on June 02, 2010, 11:40:34 PM
Go to the room "The Untouchables" and look at the B. No, don't look, STARE AT IT! Some others in the last level do it too. You'll see what I mean
Okie dokies - I'll give that a try on the weekend.

The teleporter fork removal is a good idea. Random room. RAGEQUIT would be fine without movement, because you enter it through a teleporter. I've got homework, so you can fix that if you want, or leave it to me and give me MORE campaign work to do. :(
Excellent :viridian: I'm happy to change the teleporter fork - another task for the weekend! I'm not sure what you mean by "random room" and the ragequit sentence?

arcticwolf15

I mean it is a random room. Don't move ragequit on, because it's fine without moving because of entering it through a teleporter, and also, it would be in contact with the first room.

Robson

New version is available in the first post. This is just a small update:

* Removed the teleporter room from the Jailbreak campaign.
* Map exporter now has a progress bar.
* Super Cellulatron score is based on the amount of lines reached, rather than whole sections.
* Changed some stuff in the Credits.

The first version of the game is done, but several people have expressed interest in making campaigns, so I'm waiting a little bit to give people time to do that.

Go to the room "The Untouchables" and look at the B. No, don't look, STARE AT IT!
Ah I see it now! Sure, that would be possible to implement. I'll get that written into a future version.

arcticwolf15

Hey, I was a campaign tester!

Shasharala

Robson, it would appear that this new version you released is set in default debugging mode.  Is that on purpose?